Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
Can't reserve slots within sections like Medic, AT, LMG etc... just be quick on getting a slot. 

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Frag of the match (1)
Zeus Operations (1) Mission Designer (1) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Change of plans for me mates, won't be able to attend :(

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:10 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Kodak Commander (1) Zeus Operations (3)
Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (4)
Just wanted to write a bit about how tonight went from my perspective as 1-2 SL

This was by far, the best public action so far. For sure. I'd have to say that this is primarily due to Jetrise as 1-0. first of all we had a quick chat before 7 to go over the mission plan. Jet had a custom mission brief with a well detailed backstory for context, which was very much appreciated. Once we were all in the server, section leads, whiskeys and rece had another go over the plan, and marked it all up on the map. Rece headed out to start spotting the fuel trucks, and the troop got briefed and loaded up in vehicles. We had a clear order of march from 1-0, as well as a set convoy speed, and we headed out to our objectives. 1-2 had its coyote struck by a very accurate RPG after clearing our first objective, which thankfully didn't cause any casualties, but made one of our vehicles unusable. This RPG hit was primarily down to a lapse in judgement on my part, putting the vehicle in a rather vulnerable spot. This messed up my flow, and I got a little stressed out for a bit, again apologies. However, once we got a lift from 1-0, we managed to get to our second objective and clear it out. 

We then pushed out to our third objective and set up in an overwatch position for 1-1. We also had a 1-3 element join us around this point. This was the limit of Jetrise's original plan, so we started getting orders on the fly. Unlike usual, this went very smoothly, and it felt like each section had a good balance of overwatch and assault objectives. We had great lines of communication between the sections, which all went through 1-0. It really felt like a full, coordinated troop, rather than three independent sections. Our objectives were always either supported, or in a supporting role for another section, which meant that even holding at an objective for a period of time was rewarding, knowing it was covering another sections move. It all sounds simple, but it is very noticeable when this doesn't happen.

All in all, it was a really fun evening, had fun leading the section, with a great balance of freedom and orders from 1-0. Thanks to everyone in my section, you all did a great job and made my life super easy. Finch did great as my FTL which also helped make my job easy.

In terms of making future public actions as fun as this, I think it was obvious that Jetrise had put some time into planning for this, which I feel may have been lacking in previous actions. This detailed plan went along way to making for a fun time. For the future, a solid plan from whoever is 1-0 will really help. Previous actions have had a more on the fly feel, and some people have suggested that these public actions won't work out. I think this one proved that with a small amount of preplanning, they can be a great way to introduce people on the public server to larger, more coordinated ops.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
Thanks Bagel for the nice words regarding my leadership. I have to agree, it was one of the best public missions I've done for a while although I never actually discharged my weapon. 

Equally, I have to thank the rest of the command elements for following orders as well as being overall good leaders and responding accordingly to the havoc Arf played as Zues. This thanks is the same for everyone that played as the mission was done very well with 7 objectives being achieved, as well as one secondary objective. 

Thanks for the awesome experience for the first time as troop commander.

Peace out,

Shaun. 

EDIT: If anyone's interested, the brief that was spoken to all three sections is in the link here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/10VHnyge0-_Yivc7Bws0eyKd6yPcHOUgmWXDDVXKrVDs

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:55 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I thought as a non 3CB member I would offer a bit feedback from my perspective.

Firstly though, a bit of background. I don't have a military background, unless you count digitally. I was a beta tester for Panther Games Command Ops and I've played mainly Steel Beasts and
Falcon 4 (BMS), Harpoon (now Command: Modern Air Naval Operations) and that's about it. What I like is realism, so when I got into Arma 3, very recently, and when missions and campaigns lost their appeal (too scripted and far from realistic) I found 3CB (I think via YouTube and MeFirst). I've played a few times on the public server (PS), when commitments allow, and though it's certainly fun and something that engages me, it does tend to get a little "playful", especially later on. Oh yes, commitment, unfortunately this has stopped me from fully registering with the unit, though I would really love to one day. For example, I rarely get home,  from work before 7:30 pm which pretty much negates the recruitment training. When I saw the announcement for the public server events, I was thrilled. My wife is much more social than I, and something on a Saturday night, if not every week, was indeed, a regular possibility.

Any way back to the feedback.

I initially was (self) assigned 1-1-C: Rifleman AT (NLAW) - happy with that, as I'd got a couple of good BTR/BMP (I know they are different Arf ;)) kills earlier that afternoon. So after a quick pic (I think) we went to embus. After a couple of minutes and after a few FFSs, we were ordered back to the FOB respawn area. And I'm glad we did; Jetrise gave us ALL a brief; which is something that is missing from the general PS, where it's shall we? could we? why not? It was a great intro into the operation and very immersive...thanks.

When we went out, we had almost immediate contact, but I noticed that I had no sound effects (not good). so I thought it best to restart Arma (hoping I would get the same slot). BTW, sorry to who ever I asked to shoot me in the head to get me out of the fight: his reaction was classic - I didn't realise there was recriminations for that - again immersive realism :). I didn't last long! "CONTACT, WHERE? I CAN'T HEAR...". When I restarted "my" slot was filled and the only real option was 3-1-D: Fire Team Leader [1-Delta] - I KNOW!! I didn't play as FTL, obviously, but it did give me a great insight into the comms.

When I got to the unit, we progressed steadily, mainly giving overwatch support to other section.s Although this was potentially slow paced, orders are orders and we stuck to it under the leadership of Cpl Bunny. At one point, the whole of Fire Team Charlie and two of Delta were killed by an IDE - a bit too much mirth for full realism, but f**k me, it was funny. BUT HANG ON, I'm now SC! After requesting tasking from 1-0 for a 2 man Section (plus the possible ripsaws, sorry reinforcements), I quickly handed the reigns (the long range) over to Mne Havok (I felt a bit ashamed of that, but felt it was the right thing to do in the situation).

The operation kind of finished soon after that, where did that 3 hours go? So, Jetrise, not boring at all. I did stick around and after lurking and eves dropping with some 3CB grown ups (I felt like a naughty boy in the teachers common room ;)) it was decided we spend 40 mins tidying up the remaining tankers. Riding in [real] low on the running boards [sic] with Jetrise piloting was a REAL thrill (I think I actually squealed like a girl!).

So to summarise (I only came to say TANX). F*cking ace evening; a nice bunch of members, regulars and newbies. Please keep the public events coming, like I said I can't attend every week, but I will give the wife a fiver to go to the cinema whenever I can afford it.

TANX
Andrew 

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Ha :-) great write up Andrew !

Friday Night Patrol ops would be right up your street. Starts at 2030. So allows time for family and a drink after work. And then Offers the most realism we can get toward and still be fun. Slower paced, but very tactical.

Check some of the videos out if you wanted to see what they were like.

Either way it would make your application more worthwhile for you as it sounds like that could be something you could attend. Cinemas are open Friday too apparently :-)

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Thanks Mate, Fridays are certainly potential; what is the minimum requirement (operation attendance) for keeping ones enrolment alive?

BTW, I'm up-to-date with all your vids, even Saturdays, I got a lift with Zulu at one point - best selfie :D

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Massey wrote:
Thanks Mate, Fridays are certainly potential; what is the minimum requirement (operation attendance) for keeping ones enrolment alive?

BTW, I'm up-to-date with all your vids, even Saturdays, I got a lift with Zulu at one point - best selfie :D

Well I tried to find where we've declared the minimum, but the reality is we're much more informal than that. Most active members manage at least 1 op a week. Some do it a little more infrequently and some are on LOA doing RL stuff. And that's ok too.

We're not in the habit of chasing people down, perhaps we should ! :-)

SJ

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Patrol Operation are a "private operation" meaning it is only intended for members and recruits.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:32 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Yeah i think he was discussing whether he could commit to join, and I suggested those Patrol ops might suit his Realism/time interests more accurately. :-)

+ New Topic + Post Reply