+ New Topic + Post Reply

Suppression

64 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Training Team (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (1)
Hey Everyone

Just wanted to check in with how people feel about the amount of weapon sway and suppression on the public server?

Being at super close ranges and being suppressed messes up with activities such as breaching compounds alot of people have noticed.

So does anyone else have any issues they've noticed?

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Donator (1) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
've really grown to enjoy the suppression mod. Especially for conventional land fighting and FIBUA. The one problem area it has is CQB/C. At times you can't withdraw and take cover like you would in a FIBUA external fight, or terrain fight. So you end up shooting at blobs as you fight through, or have to expose the heck out of yourself with a withdrawal. 

Overall though, the hindrances are worth it so far. I'd have to get a lot more CQC time in under heavy internal contact to say more.

Hearts and Minds is a wonderful name for a teen romance novel, but I’ve always thought it to be a poor name for a counterinsurgency concept.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:17 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Modder
Main-Op Coordinator
Operations Coordinator
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Frag of the match (1)
Zeus Operations (1) Mission Designer (2) Operation Medal (2)
AFAIK the public server is running no different settings for weapon away and suppression than the private servers, at least I hope not as the public should give as representative an experience of 3CB private as possible on a server which runs 24hrs in my opinion.

I've spent a good chunk of the past week or two zeusing on the server and I've heard no negative comments about these things although in Zeus it's entirely possible I've missed them.

Personally I have zero issues with them on either the public or private ops. 

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Advanced Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Training Team (1)
Mission Designer (1) Operation Medal (1)
Totally agree Reddog. Loving the suppression. It also reduces the need for shed loads of enemy.  One suitably placed enemy can quickly disrupt a section.

There are no respawns in real life.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Training Team (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (1)
I think we're losing sight of fun here. I have no problem with suppression I do have a problem with not being able to see when a single round goes over my head, probably going to get stick from lot of the gun enthusiasts/ ex service guys here but a single round over my head is not going to have that much of physical interruption of my ability to return fire (my scenario is consistent with fire fight men against men with small arms for example assault rifles)

The under  water vision (blurred) with in the suppression, possibly could do with over hauling, perhaps a narrower field of view i.e tunnel vision similar to when you pull sharp manoeuvres in the jets or even when you're injured. Rather that completely dull the sense why not restrict with something like tunnel vision allowing players to still participate in the gun fight? And when asked to fall back or perform the manoeuvre to change their position they can actually where their going though a little restricted. 

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Donator (1)
I really enjoy the current suppression effects, it has given a feeling of urgency to being under fire that was missing before. Yes, sometimes they reduce your combat effectiveness to negative infinity as you're just scrambling for cover with no idea where you're getting shot from...but to me, that's a feature, not a bug ;)

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Recruitment Manager
Modder
Operations Design Team
Patrol-Op Coordinator
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Kodak Commander (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (3)
Shimmer wrote:
I think we're losing sight of fun here. 

Well everyone has a different view on fun, so its tough to suggest that we are losing sight as a whole when the majority of the feedback has been positive so far.

The idea about the tunnel vision effect is interesting, I think that might be worth a try, depending on how much additional work that might be compared to simply blurring the screen.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (1)
Mission Designer (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (2)
I think the suppression effecting combat ability is a good thing I'm not saying the plurring of the vision is "realistic" but for me atleast it has been the best way to actually get the intensity of compat up which has lead to the use of good amount of tactics like peeling and bounding even more which atleast for me has added alot of enjoyment. I think one thing we won't have without this modification to the game is how you would keep your head down when you are being shot by a whole section of russians or when you are being pinned by a sniper. Also now static and vehicle weapons actually feel threatening and taking them out becomes a major priority.

The problem before this was that you couldn't supress the players without injuring or killing the players which was guite a problem in numerous operations and made some zeuses and mission makers quite frustrated.

Now fire fights even in patrol ops have become intense and the supression has made most missions I have played more enjoyable. 

Mission maker side it's a good thing as you don't have to push so much AI against the players and less AI sometimes gives better frames which I think adds alot into the enjoyment of gameplay.

Last edited by Arska on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Training Team (1) Modding Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (3)
The tunnel vision effect was version 0.1 of the suppression mod that never made it past the first user test.  It's a great idea its just not possible to implement correctly in Arma.

Tunnel vision is not an optical effect, but rather your total focus on an object / area such that you become "blind" to anything else going on around you.

Version 0.1 attempted to implement this as a reduction in the view of field, similar to the ACE medical unconscious effect.  So the player just sees the world as a small circie in the centre of the screen.  This would be perfect, except for the fact that the player can move their head and shift their focus to anything in the scene.  Which is completely counter to what tunnel vision is.  So now the player has 20:20 vision albeit in a reduced field of view anywhere they look.  This had zero impact on combat, as the only area of the screen you actually need is the area around your sight (ie in the centre of the screen)

To overcome this (and its nots possibe to implement) would be to lock the player's vision to the area of the threat.  From a gameplay perspective this would be an extremely poor design decision.

TLDR, not everything in the real world maps to a video game.

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:32 am     Super secret spam barrier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Training Team (1) Public Regular (1)
Shimmer wrote:
a single round over my head is not going to have that much of physical interruption of my ability to return fire.

I agree that a single round over your head will physically not impede your ability to move and run away from the fire. Now with that being said a bullet going over your head will have numerous effects on how u respond to said bullet such as ducking and looking for cover. Since in arma no one seems to fear bullets this suppression gets u thinking immediately and reacting hopefully shortly after. With this suppression we will also stop having our hillside firefights where no one seeks cover and just goes toe to toe with the enemy assuming they are Billy badass and can wipe a section by themselves. Just as a personal note as a person who has a decent amount of range time one single stray round usually gets people to there knees at least.

+ New Topic + Post Reply