3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
18 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)

The Regular Reports of a Combat Journalist

Is it just me or is the clothing in ArmA 3 getting more and more stupid?

Looks like something out of Halo.

Anyway I like the idea of this thread. Something new anyway.

Also moved your topic to the ArmA 3 thread, since it's about ArmA 3.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:44 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Brilliant Chris, just superb !!!

I've created a "War Correspondent: Christopher H-A" into each of the missions for you to continue your brave sojourn with us.

Thinking ahead, ALiVE has a built in TWITCH function where we could stream footage continuously from the battlefield - perhaps we lock that camera view to the "reporter" function ?

Chris had you considered liaising with some of our ertwhile opposition ? Whilst less than talkative I think you might be interested in their perspective of the conflict ?

Great job !!

SJ

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
TO: CDS, CABINET WAR ROOMS LONDON
REPORT CLASS: SECRET NO FOREIGN DISSEM
DATE: 30 MARCH 2014
SUBJECT: REPORTER CHRISTOPHER H-A
SOURCE: CLASSIFIED

1. SINCE 26 MARCH 2014 3 COMMANDO 1 AND 2 COY HAVE BEEN ACCOMPANIED ON ACTIVE OPERATIONS BY 'WAR CORRESPONDENT CHRISTOPHER H-A. HE HAS BEEN UNARMED, EMBEDDED WITH FRONT LINE TROOPS, OBSERVING AND REPORTING LIVE VIA DIRECT LINK AUDIO TO BBC WORLD NEWS. DIGITAL IMAGES HAVE ALSO STARTED APPEARING ONLINE.

2. CERTAIN ACTIONS OF SAID INDIVIDUAL RAISE QUESTIONS ABOUT TRUE IDENTITY AS FOLLOWS:

2A. CHRISTOPHER H-A VOLUNTEERED FOR AND TOOK POSITION OF FAC FOR 2COY HQ ON DEPLOYMENT IN TAKISTAN. THROUGH OBSERVATION OF RADIO COMMS IT WAS CLEAR HE IS FULLY TRAINED AND HIGHLY ACCOMPLISHED IN JTAC PROCEDURE.

2B. WHILE MOVING WITH TROOP THROUGH ZARGABAD IN CQB HE DISPLAYED UNUSUAL BRAVERY IN THE FACE OF FIRE, UNCOMMON AMONG JOURNALISTS - REFERENCE ACTIONS PREVIOUS REPORTER 'ROSS KEMP'.

2C. ON 29 MARCH DURING R&R AT FOB, CHRISTOPHER H-A WAS OBSERVED BY SECTION BRAVO-1 EQUIPPED IN FULL SPECIAL FORCES GEAR WITH EXOTIC WEAPONRY WHICH HE KNEW HOW TO HANDLE.

2D. AT SAME DATE (2C) DURING BLANK FIRE 'PISTOL DUELS' CHRISTOPHER H-A DEFEATED 5 (FIVE) MEMBERS OF 3CB USING ACCURATE AND PRECISE MANOEUVRE AND FIRE.

CONCLUSION: 2 COY 1IC RECOMMENDS BRIGADE PERFORM ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND CHECKS ON WAR REPORTER CHRISTOPHER H-A TO DETERMINE PREVIOUS MILITARY HISTORY. LOOK FOR SPECIAL FORCES TRAINING/DEPLOYMENT WITH US NAVY SEALS OR LINKS TO CIA. SUGGEST HE IS ALLOWED, INDEED ENCOURAGED, TO CONTINUE EMBEDDED CORRESPONDENT ROLE AS TROOP MORALE IS SIGNIFICANTLY POSITIVELY AFFECTED BY HIS NEWS REPORTS. NOTIFY ALL UNIT COMMANDERS TO ENSURE GENEVA CONVENTIONS CONTINUE TO BE FOLLOWED IN RESPECT OF CIVILIANS AND PRISONERS OF WAR.

END

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:09 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
Apollo wrote:
 NOTIFY ALL UNIT COMMANDERS TO ENSURE GENEVA CONVENTIONS CONTINUE TO BE FOLLOWED IN RESPECT OF CIVILIANS AND PRISONERS OF WAR.

END

This bit is amazing Apollo.  Very well constructed.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:42 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Howl wrote:
Great work, but I believe that quite a few people were against role playing. . . it's funny how this shows up. Just to those of you who disagreed, you can see that there is indeed interest.

Keep it up!

Who was ever against role-playing on the forums? Didn't we just recently have 2 of those world crisis forum RP games? I don't think anyone was against them.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:12 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
mwnciboo wrote:
Hey Apollo...If you want to see how you write a properly formated Signal...

Nah, don't think I will, it was for fun only.
You spelled 'formatted' incorrectly. ;-)

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Howl wrote:
I meant in game, Jamie.

Running around and taking a few screenshots isn't exactly role-playing. It's the stories that are written on the forums afterwards that are.

Unless you've met Christopher in-game and he actually is role-playing as a journalist? If that's the case, you won't see me role-playing back, sorry Chris :P

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:18 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Goodson wrote:
Unless you've met Christopher in-game

Yes we have.

Goodson wrote:
and he actually is role-playing as a journalist?

Yes he was.

I was sceptical at first, but he did it so well that it added something extra to the mission.

And it doesn't require you to role play back any more than you usually do with a green beret on your head calling yourself "Major". ;-)

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:23 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Yep I agree it was fun to see how he was reacting to the contacts we had... Niko was right in that he needed to be guided and Guarded !! along the route it added a feeling of realism I didn't expect actually.

SJ

More to the point the pictures and commentary are excellent !!

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Apollo wrote:
And it doesn't require you to role play back any more than you usually do with a green beret on your head calling yourself "Major". ;-)

You could apply that logic to any game - you could say that in Alien versus Predator you are role-playing as either an Alien or a Predator. The difference is that when playing as an Alien (or Predator) I'm not trying to sound or act like one, I'm just using it as an avatar to represent myself. I've never referred to myself as a Major or expected anyone to call me a Major for this very reason (compared to some other units that like to do this).

Maybe it's just me, and I know this sounds a bit contradictory, but role-playing in Arma breaks immersion for me (personally). However, if other people enjoy a bit of RP on the public server then that's great.

Chris I would just like to point out that I really enjoyed reading your post and I'm looking forward to reading more :)

+ New Topic + Post Reply