3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
7 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:25 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1)

Controlling Arma3

I have been PC gaming for about 3 years now (might be longer) and personally I find the keyboard and mouse is the nicest thing to use for accuracy when shooting, it feels strange at first but I soon got used to the switch from console gaming so I would probably suggest stick with it for now but I have not had any experience with the steam controller so can not advise about that.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Recruiter (1) Recruitment Team (1)
Zeus Operations (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Definitely you want the keyboard and mouse for infantry, there are so many keybinds.
Air/vehicle is really preference, some use joysticks/HOTAS, some use controllers, most use keyboard and mouse.

Tweety Bird

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Media Man (1) Donator (1)
Mission Designer (3) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Operation Medal (4)
Did any of that voice command stuff ever get anywhere?

My YouTube Channel
All my content is available with the CC BY 4.0 license.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:03 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I have a steam controller and I tried some profiles for flying in ArmA 3. I have to say that it doesnt work too well and if you want to fly with a gamepad in ArmA 3 I recommend you use one with a traditional dual stick system.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Mouse&Keyboard is afaik the only feasible way to play infantry in Arma3, at least with our complex modset that adds another set of keybinds/interactions. If you just want to get some practice with keyboard&mouse movement&shooting, I'd recommend playing some simpler FPS (CS:GO, TF2 or anything with 'simple' movements, really) to get some practice.

In order to get to terms with the insane amount of keybinds available in Arma3, I recommend using the "Arma 3 Apex" preset which does away with most of the horrible defaults the Arma franchise used to have. Choose that preset and then un-assign every control you don't understand or need. E.g. "Switch weapon/launcher" is bound by default and really shouldn't be (the apex preset already assigns the number keys 1,2 and 3 to weapon selection). Doing this will reduce the number of key bindings you need to be aware of and let you focus on the really important ones (e.g. weapon deploy, etc).
Also, try and remove all the "2x[some key]" bindings (except maybe set grenade to 2xG rather than just 1xG. could save some lives ;) ). There's no need for many keybindings (e.g. "Diary") since the things they open are rarely used in the heat of combat and can easily be reached through the GUI. (I.e. "diary", called "Notes" is selectable from the map screen)

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (2)
Gamepads in general has too many actions per finger IMO and the same layout has been used for 20 years now. It's like playing a bass guitar (or any instrument) with thumbs and index fingers only. Only advantage is those analog inputs but they have no place in FPS where you have to relay on accuracy instead or cone of fire. "Sniping" in Spunkgargleweewee is just another firefight in ARMA but you have to be faster and more precise.

For me: Gamepad is my last option for input method because I own a standard keyboard, excellent gaming mouse (G500s, won't switch!) racing wheel, HOTAS, head tracker, and a gamepad.
I beated Dark Souls II with keyb + mouse and currently I'm on DS III. I just felt too clumsy with keypad and after switch thy way was only up and forward.

For original poster: Keep working with your muscle memory and customize your keybindings. Lear which actions are important, there's tree categories: Priority; actions that you use mostly. Bind them so you don't have to move your hand to reach all of them. occasional commands. next to priority or via modifiers (shift , alt , control) or double tap. Special command: low priority, bind only what you use.
A good rule is to avoid to bind too many priority keys to one finger.
Also think about to invest to a proper gaming mouse with extra buttons and good macro software. 5 buttons and a wheel is current standard for gaming. This helps to spread the commands to your right had fingers.

Here's my list of priority keys in ARMA: may not work with you because I use pedals to lean and head tracker to look around.
WASD for movement (w+w to sprint)
Z X C for stances
Q: ACE interact (+shift to self interact)
E: default action
R: Reload
F: Fire mode (+shift for grenade type)
alt+ WASD stance adjust
spacebar: rest weapon
V: step over
<: Teamspeak PPT (Scandic keyboard)
shift to walking

On Mouse:
m1: Fire (+shift to zoom in)
m2: Hold breath
mwheel click use action (+shift zoom out
mwheel up/down: action menu up/down
upper thumb: aim weapon (+shift switch optics)
lower thumb: cancel (close action menu)
mid thumb: Teamspeak ppt
mwheel left: SR radio
mwheel right: LR radio

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I like flying with keyboard and mouse. I'm able to scrape the paint off a harrier flying through mountains.

I'll even fly a harrier under the powerlines on altis.

Sometimes I crash (alright, a lot) but only because I'm constantly pushing the limits of my ability. You can't get better any other way.

As with anything. Practice practice practice.  And then once you've done that, practice more. Each time pushing your limits.

+ New Topic + Post Reply