+ New Topic + Post Reply
27 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1)
Operation Medal (4)

Apex thoughts (+MP campaign)

Alright chaps,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on Apex. I've been playing it a bit tonight - Completed the first two campaign missions on solo. I'm really enjoying it, the map is amazing! And is it just me, or do all the audio effects seem way better?
Can't wait to see how 3CB copes in jungle warfare!

Only qualm I have is that so far the campaign is definitely designed for multiplayer, not that this is a bad thing, it's just I've historically always done Arma campaigns on my own.
Seems this time though you don't get an other chaps in your section/squad without playing MP (I'm enjoying the missions though, even solo)

So on that note, would anyone fancy playing through the campaign at some point? I'd like to give it a go with a full team! I noticed in the description the difficulty scales based on how many people are playing, which is interesting!

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
I did the first one tonight and if love to have a go with others. I struggled quite a bit on my own felt like the AI were zapping me first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I find it's immensely difficult, even with 4 people. Mainly because I don't think anyone is used to engaging enemy in that kind of terrain in arma, you have to be 100% on point constantly.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:16 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (4)
LessThanDave wrote:
I find it's immensely difficult, even with 4 people. Mainly because I don't think anyone is used to engaging enemy in that kind of terrain in arma, you have to be 100% on point constantly.

Yeah, this is why I'm eager to give it a go - Will be a real test!

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:32 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Played the middle 5 with old friends tonight, good fun even if some of the objectives etc were just duuuumb. Mostly seemed to be fun just because it was really coop oriented.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:47 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Can only speak for the campaign and some of the terrain I have seen so far.

I like the campaign, but there is one issue with it. It is pretty much impossible and also unenjoyable if you try to play it alone. I am not sure if this is a bug, but so far I was unable to control the friendly AI. That leaves you more or less alone and you will soon face a lot of enemies that you would have to fight on your own. In some situations it makes missions extremely hard and not fun. If you play the campaign with 3-4 people it is a lot of fun so far.

I like the terrain and the AI seems to be "solid" in terms of balancing in the jungle. I think as a ArmA 3 player, you often tend to try to push too fast in the dense jungle or forest. The jungle on Tanoa is the most demanding terrain I can imagine in ArmA 3 and you need to be aware all the time and also take it more slowly. Otherwise you will soon be flanked or surrounded and you have a really hard time trying to figure our where you are shot from. Whoever is seeing the enemy first is usually winning the firefight in this.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
<3 Apex

I've completed the campaign solo and played some missions with some of you guys.
The solo attempt was my first try so everything was shiny and new, i loved it.
I did some missions multiple times, tried to do some stuff in diffrent ways and some things slightly changed throughout the mission.

I enjoyed the coop aswell, looking forward for some more sessions!

Loading vehicles is pretty cool and i really like the new weapons and scopes.

The only thing i dont know what to think about is this thermal stuff thats going on...
Sure its a nice thing to spot "normal" enemys in the jungle and it might work for some pve scenarios but if youre into pvp this is whole new dimension...
anti-thermal gear/clothing, nvg/helmet with thermal... idk..

One thing that annoys me (beside that airconditioner sounds :p) they changed that you can't just press firemode ("F") to switch from binocs back to your weapon...

Mefirst wrote:
I am not sure if this is a bug, but so far I was unable to control the friendly AI.

From my understanding the friendly AI is a diffrent section/squad that youre not supposed to control.
They're mostly reacting on things you do and don't put you in a bad situation because they're unable find their correct path or shoot at enemys on
sight :) .

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:10 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (4)
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the new terrain, and the difficulty is one of my favourite things about it to be honest, haha.
I really enjoy how slow you need to take it, each firefight feels really tense!

So who's up for a play through Co-op?

TLS_Cud

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:49 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Haven't played the campaign or coop yet. Though I have spent quite a bit of time cruising around in the new jeep and boats to get a feel for the island and cities (little bummed you can't enter most of the larger buildings and apartment complexes). Also spent a few hours in the new Cessna (which is an absolute blast - particularly when you kill the engine and glide for quite a few KM). 

So far it's looking awesome :). Curious to see how the FPS holds up under stress. 

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:03 am     Super secret spam barrier

There's a couple of new 2 stories, and the large, white, glass fronted type building from Altis/Stratis turns up a bit.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

+ New Topic + Post Reply