Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
10 posts in this topic
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:05 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)

Public Operations

Important information first.

The whole idea if public operations is not completly worked out yet. We hope that we can get some good feedback and input from you, regarding some of the open issues.

Public Operations

What are public operations?
- Public operations will be special events, with the goal to reach players that are not already players on the public servers and have little or no contact with our unit yet.
- We hope to achieve this goal with special operations which we are planning to hold once per month (max).
- Those operations will be similar to our wednesday operations. Meaning that we will be using a zeus template and that the mission itself will be designed and build with zeus. We also aim for a mission lengh of about one and a half hour.

How will they be organized?
- The fact that we will do one of these every four weeks/once per month at the most, will give us enough time to properly organize these operations.
- We already have a lot of capable zeus operators in our unit and we think that this is another great chance for them to shine.
- We will advertise these events on social media and forums and invite players to it.
- We will certainly define some very basic set rules and prerequisitions for players interested in those events (basic knowledge of ACE3, TFAR, willing to follow orders etc.)
- We will open up a normal operation post here and we will make sure that we fill important roles like Coy/Troop/Section lead with members of our unit. On the day of the operation all players will join into sections etc,

How do we run these?
-
We expect the that the Coy/Troop commander has already some kind of plan before the usual briefing starts. He will then normally start his briefing for section commanders and other important roles T-30 before the start of the operation.
- We will need 1-2 moderators that at T-30 will explain the basic rules to the players and also do a bit of advertising for our unit.
- Inside the mission we will need 2-3 players as zeus. One zeus that has basically created the mission and 1-2 zeus players that will assist him and make sure that "action" is provided as balanced as possible for all players.

One large point that is open for discussion is the way we handle mods. My personal opinion is that we should use a very reduced/minimal modset for these events. The benefit that this makes those operations attractive for people who are not already guests on our server and do not with to download a large modset for something that they may only visit once. A minimal modset could look like this:

• ACE3
  • CBA3
  • CTAB
  • 3CB BAF Equipment
  • 3CB BAF Units
  • 3CB BAF Weapons
  • 3CB BAF Vehicles
  • TFAR
  • STHUD
  • STNAMETAGS
  • ENHANCED MOVEMENT

That would mean that we would only be using vanilla maps and opfor factions of vanilla. Personally I think that a scenario against AAF would work well and we could do some kind of very loose campaign on the vanilla maps with this.

Another option is to use the public repo for these events. The benefit is that you have a much wider variety of maps, factions and equipment, but on the other hands you might loose people due to the download size etc.

I feel like this is something we should discuss and reach some consent for it.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Recruiter (1) Recruitment Team (1)
Zeus Operations (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Benzy wrote:
Second giving that you are going for having a basic level of competence in these missions ie. orders, knowledge of radios ect the type of players you will be trying to attract will probably already have some experience in milsim esque gameplay

I agree about the modset, however these ops will be open to people without experience. Only enthusiasm and a willingness to learn from the 3CB members around them is required

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Wasnt planned to be moved into a public area. Plan was to geed feedback from everyone who can see normal private areas.

To be fair the public modset is so large because it enables us to rotate missions without people having to switch modsets and so it basically contains everything. That means that a lot of things are inside it that are not used in a specific mission.

The other reason why I would like to have a reduced modset is that it is targeting a different audience than our normal public play and the public operations. I feel and know that a lot of people hesitate ti download 40GB of mods just to "check something out". If people can get a taste without having to do that, they are usually okay with downloading more mods because they know it is most likely worth it.

The point of the "competence" will be a important one and we will need a lot of effort in moderation there. As Vex said, we can not expect competence but we should expect the will to cooperate, learn and be enthusiastic about the gameplay.

The point with the vanilla Factions is true, but I think there are some alternatives like OPFORFIA in Vanilla or the Syndikat faction (which would require APEX). Otherwise remember that it is a reduced/minimal modset and that doesnt mean we have to use vanilla factions only as opfor if it is a bad alternative.

Also I say again the idea is to reach people that have not played on the public server yet and have very little or no connection to 3CB at all. The public operation thing should be a gateway to get people involved with us and the results are hopefully more people on the pub, more people in public operations, more recruits and more relationships with clans, communities and players in general. 

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Griffin wrote:
However, I do feel that SL slots should be available only to 3CB members...

I wondered the same, but maybe it's worth modifying this that competent pubbies can SL for the event if supported by a 3CB Delta? Just to iron-out any procedural issues while still letting some of our more leadership-oriented pubbies play their preferred roles.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier

It's alright making all these arrangements and rules but at the end of the day, 3CB members have to step up and take lead roles if they don't want to be lead by Joe Bloggs on his first time on the server. That means turning up early and slotting up before the bulk of the public come. 

Admin/mission makers/ modders have enough to do without creating whitelists. That's a non starter. 

One thing we have to be aware of, most people who first come to our server jump in as sniper or pilot. Every bloody time. You know that's going to happen with 20 odd plus newcomers. 
If whiskey slots are open to pub then double crew with a 3cb member. 

We generally don't need more than 2 birds anyway. 1 CAS one Transport. Or 2 Wildcat 8's after initial drop.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:32 am     Super secret spam barrier

Most of the people coming will have CUP and RHS anyway. Getting them to download 3cb to join and then cutting out the stuff they already had is counter productive.

Full modset.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:32 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
The plan so far is that the majority of section commanders will be filled with 3CB members. Note that this is very much dependent on the ammount of players we will actually have online (including everyone). If we are only able to fill a single troop. It is very likely that the section commanders slots will be taken by 3CB. If we have a second or even a third troop open that it looks a lot different.

Also remember that running these is a ongoing process and so not much is set in stone and we will improve/change things after we actually did these a few times. I was thinking about the point about section leaders, but I feel that for the start it is the best to get as much sections that are led by 3CB as possible.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Recruiter (1) Recruitment Team (1)
Zeus Operations (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Woods wrote:
Maybe you could have "Members" Squads that are whitelisted. that way us Public players can squad up and do our thing and you guys can do the same but also if you wanted you could join a public squad to lead them or whatever.

Thats not the purpose of these events. These are for public integration and showcasing 

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:10 am     Super secret spam barrier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Zeus Operations (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1) Operation Medal (3)
Not really. I was the only NCO there at the start, and did my best to sort out who would go where until SJ managed to get on. Clyde had to setup for us despite the fact he wasn't attending. Unfortunately, while I was trying to get everyone slotted up we got pushed through (despite not clicking ok). Why does this happen on the public? I think it happened last week too. Can it be disabled so you don't go through without clicking ok?

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:34 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Every server starts the mission automatically after a set time (which you can see counting down at the role selection screen) UNLESS someone logs in as ADMIN.
When there is an admin logged on, the mission does not launch until the admin clicks continue.

+ New Topic + Post Reply