3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
10 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:04 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Communications

Hi guys,
I would like to play as a FTL sometimes when I jump on but I have mad issues​ with comms.

I struggle with guys close chatting the SR going off as well as the LR. I feel as though my ears are bleeding. How do guys who fill the SL/FTL slots cope with all this traffic?

I run it all through my headset as well as the game sounds. I just can't cope. I miss vital info as well as never really having a clue what channel or radio it came over.

For example. I have SR ch1 on 31.1 then LR ch1 31 and LR ch4 40 (alternative).

Do you use headphones as the audio path or speaker on the radio?

I know you would probably teach this in the 3cb training, I would like to know how you do it without being a member.

Burbonizer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:14 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
First at all, we encourage that people do not use the internal squad radio for chatter. This is especially the case inside our private operations. 

I would avoid trying to be on three different channels. Stay of 40, unless you actually have to be on 40. Don't be on it permanently. There is especially no reason for you to be on 40 if a FAC is active on the server. 

Personally I also put 31. on my left ear and I keep the SR on both ears. You could also switch that around if it makes more sense for you. 

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:21 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
I'd suggest staying on 2 channels, and use the stereo settings.

For example:

SR - left ear - section net e.g. 31.1
LR - right ear - troop net e.g. 31

The stereo settings really help to distinguish radios.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Regular (1)
Hi ho,  Burbonizer .. 

Yeah is a skill to learn to filter/ignore most of it while not loosing any 'vital communications' from the radio. And you might loose some info in the beginning, but most of the time 'the other end' will just send again or be dead and hate you for not responding =) 

Best practices have allready be mentioned 'limit the ammount of radios you listen into' .. and 'sort to ears' =)

A good "Shut up, Guys" might allso be very helpfull every now and then =)

On the public server though the 1-1 SL becomes FAC and 1-0 ( company command ) pretty fast, due to not so may people want to take these 'Command Roles' .. so you find yourself in the position where you have to be on 2..3 radioschannels =/
You might be able to ask someone in the section to do the Whisky coms (40) that leaves you with only 2 channels to monitor, not 3.

What i can strongly recommend is .. 'figure out what your dominant ear is' 

Usealy for a right handed person its the left, and visa versa for a lefty. You can figure out by simply 'try to follow a consersation with 1 ear blocked.
So flick on the TV and put a finger in one ear dont seal the ear completely just 'block it' (The extra noise you hear from the blood flowing through your finger and rattling of movement is wanted ) put the finger straight in there =) 
You will relatively fast find out with what ear blocked it is harder for you to understand whats going on (more brainwork needed), that is your dominant ear =).
And with that knowlage now you start sorting the radio channels you want to listen to ... if you really have to listen in to 3 Radios.

• most important channel, on both ears 
  • medium channel ... on the dominant ear .. 
  • and least important on the 'non dominant ear'

I have command on both ears, thats for comms with 1-1, 1-2  and recce (31). ( LR Radio )
The own local (31.1) on the dominat ear ( SR Radio) , and usealy Air Assets/Firesupport (40) on the other ear.( LR Radio on an alternative Channel )

Sometimes on the Public it helps when you put 'command' 31 on 'speaker', then the guys arround you get a idea for when to not talk to you because they hear the conversation that you are in currently. It also gives them a better situational awareness. But be cautios with the speaker setting since it can be distracting for other people who are on the same channel since they will hear an echo of themself, and not all players like the way the speakers sound. You have to test what works best for you =)

cheers moeses

PS: Hearing is one of the senses. The ears are used for detecting (listening to) vibrations in the air known as sounds.

PPS: dahm was longer then I intendet it to be =/

Last edited by Moeses on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
The channel for air units is 40 and not 40.1. 40.1 Is often used as a internal channel for multiple air units, so they can communicate with each other.

I would not put your LR on speakers all the time. This will distract the people in your section and it will also lead to pointless questioning or misinterpretation of information by your section members. I don't think there is a reason why SL's or FTL's should be permanently on 40 with the air units. 

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Regular (1)
Thanks for the hint ... corrected 41 -> 40

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:06 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Recruiter (1) Recruitment Team (1)
Zeus Operations (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Make your FTL listen in to the air channel if you need regular contact with them for any reason.
And like the others said, send LR 31 to the ear of your preference, and keep your section SR (eg. 31.1) in both ears.

Tweety Bird

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am     Super secret spam barrier

I like to put the higher command channel on my right and the lower command channel on my left.

This way messages literally go in one ear and out the other :)

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:44 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:31 am     Super secret spam barrier

To reflect whats been said to by most people

Just as an example of being a lefty I put SR 31.1 through right ear and command LR 31 through the left also 40 if I'm feeling like a masochist.
If you rather like Moses said throw someone else like FTL on 40 let them have a bit of the ear ache for a while.

A key skill is listening out for keywords I came to learn, and it becomes similar to that of muscle memory if you're SL i.e Compass bearings, SL to SL comms, Command to SL. It's just an evolved version of your SR with added weight of responsibility. Your spider sense almost starts to tingle when you hear the first 1... sound off as you think the comms are going to be for you so you become attuned.

Most of the members that take SL regularly can attest to it takes a lot practice and you have to find out what works for you. Try out different methods if you're using a headset, to minimise scrambled brain syndrome.

+ New Topic + Post Reply