3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
9 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 am     Super secret spam barrier

TrackIR vs VR

Hi All,
 i have both a Track IR and a HTC Vive. I have tried Arma 3 in VR (using Vorpx) and it is just nasty. I mean it is so bugged with how you can use it. Basically if you are moving forward and look to the left you turn left. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Plus i get incrediably motion sick, as my brain thinks i am moving but my legs are not. So this is no good.

I have a TrackIR that i brought a while ago now and have never got on with it either. I have tried over and over to connect it up and use it but i dont know what it is that bugs me. I think i prefer to run forwards and just hold the ALT key and turn my head. Another thing that annoys me is the actual amount you have to turn your head. To look left i am basically looking out the corners of my eyes, which really aggrevates me and i end up switching it off and resorting back to ALT.

Does anyone have a good profile for TrackIR that they could share?

Also i have 3 monitors. I know it is wrong but i dont all 3 for gaming. Does anyone know of any software that will allow me to span Arma across these three monitors? The problem is that the main monitor (24") runs at 1920 x 1080 and the side two (19") are running at 1280 x 1024. I have tried it with some software a while ago and it was good. Being able to see nearly 180 degress is awesome.

Burbonizer

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
Lots of questions ....

VR in general requires very high frame rates otherwise the user is prone to motion sickness.  You need at least 90fps, ideally 120fps.  This is never going to happen with A3, so if you get motion sickness you're unlikely to ever play comfortably with VR and A3.  There are multiple causes of motion sickness but the most dominant is the disconnect between what your eyes see and what you brain believes as movement from all your other sensors.  Time is a huge factor here.  For VR its the time from when the system detects your head position to when the image is sent to the VR headset.  A high fps helps reduce this lag, but also very specific tweaks to the game engine help.  Adding in extra software to force the VR experience just increases the lag => a larger sick bag.  Steam re-wrote parts of their engine to overdraw the image, and then do a final tweak to the player's head position, just prior to the image being sent to the HIVE.  Its extremely effective, but requires a custom game engine.

One of the great features of TrackIR is the ability to fine tune head movement vs on-screen movement.  Mine is not the best profile, but I'll PM it to you for comparison.  

Personally for A3, its TrackIR all the way.  VR is excellent for certain games, especially those in a cockpit.  The greatly reduced movement whilst being in a cockpit helps to reduce (not eliminate) the motion sickness.  

I also have 3 monitors, all the same type, as they're used for s/w dev.  However apart from the odd racing game I only use the central monitor for game playing.  5760x1080 is a large render surface.  I've found the NVIDIA surround to work extremely well.  It converts the multiple monitors into a single virtual monitor.  The game just sees that you have a single 5760x1080 monitor.  If you can be bothered you can also adjust it to compensate for the besels on the monitors.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
i have to get used to my trackir as well, and occasionally ill have to unplug it while fighting (especially when i move my head close to screen to compensate bad sight ^^)
at first you might want to get rid of the leaning and zooming function in trackir, and get used to it with plain look around functionality ...
(and try out the vehicles while you have the @headrangeplus enabled ;))

i tried multiple profiles that were handed to me from different 3cb individuals, and wow, everyone felt completely different.
so its probably a good thing to test diffrent profiles and than fine tune the one you liked the most.

iam not at home, so ill can only share you the one of dslyecxi : http://dslyecxi.com/files/trackir_profi ... lyecxi.xml

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I have real experience with VR. I tested it out a bit on last years Gamescom and that was it.

As Lifetap said, I think VR in ArmA 3 is not really "possible" due to the performance of the game and the requirements. TrackIR  on the other hand is damn nice and once you get used to it, you will miss it in most first persons games that do not allow it. 

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:10 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I suppose I will have to persevere with Track IR until I can get it to the way I want.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Hi mate, I use Trackir in flightsims all the time and when I came back to Arma I couldn't use it, even though I'm accustomed to it. However, i forced myself to use it and now i cannot get on without it.

As suggested, you can disable individual DOF and tweak each DOF axis independently. I'd start with just the x and y (I think. I mean the look up/down and left/right anyway) axes, and tweak them until you're comfortable. You certainly shouldn't need to be looking out of the corner of your eyes. 

When I'm home I will send you my profile too, might help give you an idea on the curves.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:26 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:14 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Plus 1 for trackIR. I find most FP games unplayable for me now without it.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Training Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (3)
I got rift a couple of weeks ago, but cant imagine trying to play Arma on it, id be sick as a dog!
I still use my track IR for that, and although I have fiddled around with it a bit, I use pretty much the standard profile, and hardly have to move my head at all to replicate 'human' limits so it sounds like something isnt quite right.

VR in DCS though is really amazing, and although I suffer from motion sickness, gentle to moderate flight gives me no issues at all

+ New Topic + Post Reply