3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
15 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:52 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Mission Designer (1)

Paradox Strategy Games, THE RETURN (Player Count)

Previously I made a thread listing players who own Paradox Interactive Strategy games, but that was a long time ago and now we got a lot of new fancy faces round here (with new games).
SO LETS GET DIS MUTHA CRUNK Lets get a list going of all our players so if we want to make an organized session we can see who can participate in what.

Crusader Kings 2                                       Victoria 2                                    Europa Universalis 4                            Hearts of Iron 4                       Stellaris

Mackereldude -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
NullJaeger                                     X                                                                                                                  X                                                     X                                       X
Stooge ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
Frosty   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Shepard ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Klawc                                           X                                                                                                                  X                                                      X                                      X
Sanders                                        X
Melonfish                                      X                                                                                                                  X                                                      X                                      X
Whiplash --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->  + Sengoku
Tls_Cud ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Bobert                                                                                                                                                              X                                                       X
Benzy                                                                                                                                                              X                                                       X                                      X

Last edited by Mackereldude on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:19 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
I have CK2. Usually play AGOT on it. Everything else looks way too complicated for me to enjoy lol

If this is a thread to setup a long lasting game, count me in.

That one lad from Essex.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:21 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Training Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (3)
I have Europa and HOI 4 , but have no clue how to play either of them

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:12 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1)
Operation Medal (4)
I have all of them - Big fan of paradox strategy games!

TLS_Cud

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:43 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Well I think we have a general idea of what everyone has and what we could do with organizing a game for everyone.So first of all we need to try and figure out what game we should all try and play together, and from there we can work on further requirements such as mods that enhance the flavor of the game or extend playtime.

I have a couple of ideas that can be considered while deciding to pick games, or use a combination of them.

We can do a single game, playing until we finish up or get bored.

We can do an extended world timeline, (e.g. trying to go from CK2 to EU4 for plenty of years of gameplay), but also can result in issues for players who cannot continue.

Of course we will also have to agree on some basic rules based on the game we collectively choose to play for mechanics that we can use (e.g. political influence and coups in HOI 4 being restricted to a degree) and the procedure for when a particular player does not arrive. For now (this can be of course adjusted later) we can organize a general time on a particular day like for example a Saturday night or when all players are present and willing to play, and also specify how to proceed when players are absent, such as if there are 6 players total and 2 are missing, the game can continue leaving the countries in control of the AI.

And of course finally not everyone will have good run, so with agreement from the majority of players, if someone is really frustrated and wants to switch countries (of course this shouldn't be on a whim) we can approve allowing the player to choose who to continue playing as, but it should also find a balance between respecting other players ambitions (don't be a douche and take a country a player is ready to go to war on attempting to ruin their experience) while picking a nation that as long as everyone approves or a sufficient explanation is given, can be chosen and played. (we should appeal to have fun and have somewhat balanced gameplay, but I don't want to see a game grind to a halt because one player wants to seize an entire area as a future game plan without any immediate means to do so, like if someone was whining at a player because they wanted to colonize all of North America and they chose a Native American tribe).

And finally the last thing I want to address and eventually come down on for rules is we should be comfortable going to war with each other. Of course it can lead to frustration and temporary setbacks, but it is actually a critical element that can lead to a game being fun, I believe a game would be very hard to enjoy if Germany and France always yelled (drowning out other players wanting to possibly speak) because of war declared or specific areas seized that the other wanted control of. Of course regulation is needed (games shouldn't devolve to conspiring with other players to eliminate someone out of the game by ganging up on him) but we need to be willing to go to war with each other, or at least undergo strategic maneuvers (e.g. proxy wars) to enhance everyone's experience further and form a timeline that is interesting for not only us to remember but others who did not participate watch history unfold.

In summary, don't be one of these people:

Do this:

Actually don't do that specifically, but YOU GET THE POINT FFS!

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:39 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (4)
That sounds good to me - regarding wars etc between players, this is a must in a multi-player! As is being defeated and having to rebuild from the ashes. Some of the most fun gameplay comes from when stuff doesn't go right!

I'm good for any game, so whatever the majority is good for is fine with me and we can maybe set a time each week to put in a few hours

TLS_Cud

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
Popular vote, perhaps?

Or maybe start off with a game everyone has. 12-13 on that list, and everyone appears to have HoI4 and EU4, minus myself.

CK2 has 10/14, but that game is incompatible with people who have different DLC's with you, right? Not sure about that one

Three primary contenders appear to be HoI4, EU4 and Stellaris. So I suppose we could start off with one of those? Or maybe follow what Mackerel suggested and go with a timeline, so everyone can have a go. Starting off with CK2, then moving onto EU4, later HoI4 and finally Stellaris?

Bit skint on £££ atm so I don't see myself buying EU4 or HoI4 anytime soon, unfortunately.

That one lad from Essex.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:54 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (4)
Sanders wrote:
Popular vote, perhaps?

Or maybe start off with a game everyone has. 12-13 on that list, and everyone appears to have HoI4 and EU4, minus myself.

CK2 has 10/14, but that game is incompatible with people who have different DLC's with you, right? Not sure about that one

Three primary contenders appear to be HoI4, EU4 and Stellaris. So I suppose we could start off with one of those? Or maybe follow what Mackerel suggested and go with a timeline, so everyone can have a go. Starting off with CK2, then moving onto EU4, later HoI4 and finally Stellaris?

Bit skint on £££ atm so I don't see myself buying EU4 or HoI4 anytime soon, unfortunately.

Multiplayer games of CK2 use the hosts DLC - Even if you don't own them yourself, you play what the host has on. Which is really quite cool, as we just get the person with the most DLC to host it

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:02 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
Glad to hear it, Cud. I only have two DLCs, and they're both character\kingdom editors.

I can probably get EU4 as it's going for about £6 on g2a right now, but HoI4 is going for £24, even though they both cost the same amount on steam lol

That one lad from Essex.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
http://www.strawpoll.me/10796330

I put up a strawpoll /pol/ 

PICK AND CHOOSE, along with providing further feedback here if we have any interesting ideas.

EDIT: Also I want to throw in that yes we can have a person take hosting responsibilities if they have the most DLC that we are willing to use (please remember, some DLC are bad, but are interchangeable so we can pick and choose) and finally that not only does the DLC based on host apply to Crusader Kings 2 but Europa Universalis 4 uses the same system.

+ New Topic + Post Reply