3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

Steel Division: Normandy 44

42 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Serjames wrote:
Also important to remember the coastal batteries. Which whilst materially inconsequential- had great psychological effect. Certainly prevented us from trying to land at Calais.
Actually speaking of psychological effect, a new morale and stress system will be added to the game. So Stuka sirens, hearing an artillery bombardment, or other direct or in-direct psychological weapons affecting morale or stress would be fantastic.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Let me give you a quote/joke from German ground forces in Normandy:

Quote:
When you see a British Plane you take cover.
When you see a American Plane you take cover,
When you see a Russian plane you take cover.
When you see a German plane, nobody takes cover.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
German humour strikes again.

That one lad from Essex.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 am     Super secret spam barrier

Mefirst wrote:
Let me give you a quote/joke from German ground forces in Normandy:

Quote:
When you see a British Plane you take cover.
When you see a American Plane you take cover,
When you see a Russian plane you take cover.
When you see a German plane, nobody takes cover.
That is if you see a German plane in the first place. :D But truth, Jabos ripped up any German forces they saw.

Another three:
Quote:
- "You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response. If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British. If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German. But if nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American. If they surrender, they're Italian." (or French, but personally I don't believe the French were cowards, etc, etc, they were out-smarted with newer and up to date technology and tactics, while the French were opposite, not the fault of an infantryman)

-  "If they're camouflaged, they're British. If they're unpainted steel, they're American and if they aren't there, they're German." Another German joke about planes.

-  "When a British bomber flies overhead, the Germans take cover. When a German bomber flies overhead, the Allies take cover. And when an American bomber flies overhead, everyone takes cover."

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:49 am     Super secret spam barrier

Just saw a snapshot of the gameplay, for an American unit, I saw 3 off map units in the bottom left-hand corner
1- P-51 Mustang (could be used as jabo)
2- L-4 Grasshopper as recon plane (or special "Rosie Rocketeer" with Maj. Charles "Bazooka Charlie" in the cockpit, please tell me someone understands this reference so i'm not a nerd)
3- Naval Battery

Snapshot: 
https://youtu.be/hRxLeQ3uGIw?t=4m3s

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:51 am     Super secret spam barrier

Benzy wrote:
Well the Germans will have aircraft to deploy, the Allies did have air superiority over France but the Luftwaffe still contested the sky over France with a few thousand aircraft. Tactical bombing by the Germans on the western front was less common but was still a frequent enough occurrence, plus we saw an image before of a Stuka blowing something up so we know that fighters will have their role to play.
I disagree, by the D-Day invasion, not only had the Allies gained air superiority, but it can be argued they gained air supremacy. According to 1 soldier, he only ever only saw 1 Stuka during the entirity of the war, and that was at Carentan during the early days of the invasion. That being, a soldier that was never once taken out combat from June 6th 1944, to May 8th 1945, only for the 2 months from July to September 16th, and a short lull in December but being taken back only a few days after R&R due to the Battle of the Bulge. In game, of course the Germans will have a chance to contest the skies, historically, they could only muster up 1000 planes for their "big" offensive in December and nothing more, albeit with pilots with less than 20 hours flight time. Allied supremacy was obvious, even on the D-Day beaches days after the invasion, a conversation was heard by Eisenhower and his son, John Eisenhower,  a newly graduated West Pointer.
*John after seeing vehicles of all kinds driving bumper to bumper, completely against doctrine*
John: "You'd never get away with this if you had air supremacy."
Eisenhower: "If I didn't have air supremacy, I wouldn't be here".

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:04 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
The German Luftwaffel, also had huge issues when it came to pilots and even more importantly, with fuel for their planes.As a result, a lot of pilots or other air crew in training got transferred to infantry units as replacements. But they were definitely some german aircraft in the air. But these aircraft had issues with the superiority of allied planes and a lot of them also got shot down by friendly forces, since the German forced were a bit nervous on the trigger when they saw or heard a plane approach. 

Anyway. I think we will get a game in which you will be able to use historically accurate vehicles and troops, but the game will probably not use historical numbers for the sake of balanced gameplay. 

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:55 am     Super secret spam barrier

Totally agree with MeFirst. Luftwaffe, as you both mentioned, was there in significant enough numbers for people to notice, but it didn't make a difference what so ever. On the invasion itself only a few Luftwaffe aircraft were spotted, and within seconds of spotting them you got the entire damn fleet firing with every weapon they got, never mind the barrage balloons. All in all, Luftwaffe planes were seen by lots of soldiers, but often in small groups, no more than 8, and more a nuisance than anything that can change course of events. Back to the game, Eugen will of course not limit the Luftwaffe to a 5 fighters to have historical numbers, but it could, however, if possible, have worse pilot stats for the Germans, who by early '43 were losing pilots extremely quickly who keep getting replaced by worse and worse pilots.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
First preview articles are appearing.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... 4-preview/

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:05 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Jamster wrote:
Looks promising. Do we have a release date ? 
Don't believe even an estimate is available on that, all it says is this year.

+ New Topic + Post Reply