Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)

Operation Urban Locker - 24NOV2013

The cooperation and teamwork on tonight's op between all sections was absolutely superb. Well done to Alpha, Bravo, Sierra, Hotel, and Foxtrott. We managed to complete around 1/4 of the operation - if you didn't manage to make the op tonight we will be continuing the mission next week. Looking forward to it!

Quoting Serjames "One of the best ops I've done in a long time".

Maj. Goodson

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:35 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
great mission.

Leadership was spot on, good job Whip and Ivano.

Ai were fierce, to say the least. Meant the only way to survive was proper tactical fire and movement so well done all for such a cracking op !!

Really enjoyed it !!!

SJ

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:33 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Yes Hotel did great.

1 hour sat on a hill drinking tea.

Well done Hotel.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Howl wrote:
Serjames wrote:
Leadership was spot on, good job Whip and Ivano.

I lead too :(

You did but not me directly and that's the point.

All i need to know as a rifleman is what my immediate objective is, Where my buddies are and what my fireteam leader wants me to shoot at.

It's a compliment to your leadership that the squaddies on the ground have no clue you're even there. Your orders are being properly passed down the chain with no argument or debate and this for me is how it should be.

Good job :)

SJ

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:58 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Heh - became quite partial to the 5.56 M259 actually by the end of the session... Rate of fire is awesome for sure. Missed the ability to punch through walls that the 7.62 gives, but the extra 50 rounds per belt sure helps.  Might have to set up a profile to practise a little more with that on the public.

Anyone know what the Rate of fire should be for the Mk48 vs the M249 ?

I think possibly it's under-performing in game ?

Might try the M200 as well, perhaps the 6.5mm intermediate is that sweet spot ?

SJ

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Hmm, good questions - You all know me - I believe in giving choice.

Perhaps one M259 per section as Autorifleman and one Mk48/M240 as 7.62 Machine Gun support ?

That way we cover both common Ammo solutions.

I also think more people should take advantage of the MagRepack feature (found here http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19692 ) I know that three riflemen from our section were able to re-load their mags from my 5.56 stock of belts using this.

:)

SJ

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
I'm glad you enjoyed using the Para LMG and it wasn't as bad as you maybe feared! Personally I think it's a good weapon and I can see why SF's use/used it.

My thought process goes along the lines of; a wide choice of weapons is for the public server or mess-around missions...in an official Op the mission maker has (perhaps) created a back story to add further realism to the situation, and in that story, as in real life, you are equipped with whatever weapon might have been real/feasible to back up the story. Players needing to adapt to work within the limitations imposed by the mission maker, whether it be unusual weapons, shortage of ammo, lack of armoured vehicle for HQ, not enough binoculars/scopes etc can be part of the fun/challenge. Either plonking down unlimited VAS ammo crates or using MCC to spawn in equipment (*cough Marshall cough*) seems to me to somehow cheat players of some of this challenge and may be a de-motivational factor for the mission maker to create more 'stories'.

Taking Urban Locker specifically as an example, we were playing the role of a rapid-reaction special forces unit moving into a base that was only just secured. We weren't intended to have great logistical support, hence the limited choice of weapons, no armoured vehicles, no fixed wing aircraft. The story's not water tight (perhaps not even that good, I hope the author will excuse me saying so), but that was the rationale for equipment provision.

From watching Cat's video there are a few things that stand out that could have changed the dynamic for a few players somewhat:

1) the UAV could have been employed by the FAC to forward scout the AO and monitor the battle
2) the CAS heli's could have been more aggressively employed against soft targets (although I had expected them to be used against armoured vehicles too, not knowing that there is a bug with their rocket effectiveness)
3) HQ section could have been more in the action, perhaps as a longer range support fire-team (two had scoped rifles with UGL's) especially given the shortage of man-power (Special Forces, only 2 sections, not a full Brigade to command), giving the Troop medic more work, relieving Cat's boredom and earning Goodson some respect. ;-) The UAV / Heli's / Sniper team could have been just as effective as eyes-in-the-sky / overwatch aiding HQ with the tactical decision making?

These are not criticisms of command decisions, but alternative views as to how things could have been done differently to work with the story-line that we wouldn't normally consider.
However, at the end of the day everyone seemed to have a great fun time, and that really, is all that counts.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:18 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
BatzBenzer wrote:
1) We couldn't find the UAV Terminal at base, could you check that before the next run? (Or if it's operated by the FAC, make him aware of that possibiliy?)

Watch the start of Cat's video; I think the FAC just didn't know how to use it?

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Apollo wrote:
BatzBenzer wrote:
1) We couldn't find the UAV Terminal at base, could you check that before the next run? (Or if it's operated by the FAC, make him aware of that possibiliy?)

Watch the start of Cat's video; I think the FAC just didn't know how to use it?

Well I did ask Jamie but he didn't know either. We just assumed we couldn't use it.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Quite a good tutorial here Cat:

3:40 for the important bit (adding UAV Terminal to GPS slot).

+ New Topic + Post Reply