Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)

Mission Stability

As many of you may know, we've been experiencing alot of technical issues with our missions (whether it be due to mods, the mission itself, AI, or high player counts). We're at a point now where even a playable vanilla server would be preferred over a non-playable/unstable modded server.

Some of you have suggested just going back to vanilla for the time being while we get ourselves sorted, and so this is exactly what we're going to do. Apollo, Serjames and I (you know it's serious when Serjames agrees to cut-down on mods) discussed this tonight and have agreed that mission/server stability is our top priority and so, for the time being, we'll be running only one server that is running absolutely no mods. The server will be bikeyed and so you will be limited to only a handful of mods (CBA, STHUD, and ST NameTags).

We plan to use this vanilla server as a baseline to confirm that we're able to play ops with high player counts without any crashes/problems.

This is only a temporary affair, and overtime we plan to gradually build this modset back up, starting with the mods we need the most (e.g. Task Force Radio).

As I'm sure you'll agree, it's better to have a stable server with 20-30 players all having a good time and successfully completing an op - rather than an unstable server that is always likely to cause issues at any minute.

So, all you have to do is get on the public server and have fun! (I realise how cheesy that sounds).

IP: 144.76.162.200
Port: 2362

Goodson

P.S
Goodson (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2780) wrote:
There won't be a radio system (the whole point of this is to discover whether our server actually works under high player counts without any mods at all or if something is actually wrong with our server).

This will only be for one night.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:57 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
While I understand this completly, I am not sure how I feel about trying to play on a 100% vanilla server without even having something like TFAR or ACRE running.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:34 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Mefirst wrote:
While I understand this completly, I am not sure how I feel about trying to play on a 100% vanilla server without even having something like TFAR or ACRE running.

It'll only be for the first week Mefirst. The whole point of going 100% vanilla first is just to set a baseline. After that we'll start building the mods up again. This way, as soon as we start noticing bugs again, we'll be able to pinpoint exactly what mod is causing it (e.g. CSE) and get rid of it.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:03 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
No radio mod = what's the point?

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:06 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Alexander wrote:
No radio mod = what's the point?

???
Read my reply to MeFirst Alex. It's for one week to set a baseline. Do you really think I want to play without something as important as a radio mod ever again?

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Benzy wrote:
I agree fully with the idea of striping the mods down to the absolute baseline but i think TFR should be in at the beginning, it is more or less pointless to play Arma with a group this size without TFR or ACRE and since they are going to be put in no matter what then i think we should set our baseline on the mods that the game simply cannot work without rather than what we can achieve with a fully vanilla server perhaps setting our baseline as nothing but TFR?
This is essentially what I meant, sorry for the harsh comment earlier. [I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from being away from my PC for too long]

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:37 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
The public server is up without a radio mod and it's just as good fun - try it out, you'll probably be surprised how playable it is. I was.

The important thing is that we verify our server set-up without any server side mods running. If we don't do this (this week only) we will always have that nagging feeling when a crash happens that it might be server related, rather than knowing for sure that it's a TFAR/TS/Client bug. But we need a large player count to do it, with the same players who want to take part in the fully-modded Op's that will follow.

Presumably TFAR will be one of the first things that is added back in, so this isn't a big deal, just a temporary inconvenience.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Howl wrote:
I think Benzy and Alexander are right. We're going to be using it regardless, so why not?

There won't be a radio system (the whole point of this is to discover whether our server actually works under high player counts without any mods at all or if something is actually wrong with our server).

This ^^

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:35 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
I don't like having no radio mod. Even the other clan said they haven't experience any issues with TFR.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:52 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
MyCatSaid wrote:
I don't like having no radio mod. Even the other clan said they haven't experience any issues with TFR.

the whole point of this is to discover whether our server actually works under high player counts without any mods at all or if something is actually wrong with our server.

+ It's only for one night.

+ New Topic + Post Reply