Introducing Ribbons

48 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Media Man (1) Donator (1)
Mission Designer (3) Asset Medal [Air] (1) Operation Medal (4)
The rank insignia avatar should probably be scaled up to the edge of that panel to be more clean with the three ribbon spread.

My YouTube Channel
All my content is available with the CC BY 4.0 license.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)
Are the ribbons not hyperlinked to their individual description? That'd make sense if you could.

Slightly odd, talks to pixels.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:53 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
DangerousDiz wrote:
Are the ribbons not hyperlinked to their individual description? That'd make sense if you could.

Hyperlinked to an awards thread, so the notable ones could have a citation on them? 

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Quote:
Medals- Special Achievement (mostly in-oprations)e.g. faced with certain death on a tvt only to gun down the enemy section and win or drag a casualty out of a area that you where 99% likely to get shot in. These would require nominations either by NCO+(?) Or Marine+(?).

It's a tricky one Jamster. I initially suggested a 'man of the match' styled award for TvT - though it was pointed out that it may encourage solo play and defeat the purpose of encouraging natural section styled play (particularly with TvT's where it's a bit more noticeable), which admittedly was a valid point. Additionally, we wanted to try avoid ribbons from overly effecting game-play (players going out of their way to put themselves in unusual situations).  

The other point is based on anything which could be too subjective. E.g. 'Player A auto-rotates a hele and crew to safety, which is a huge achievement for them. Yet Player B feels it's a basic procedure and thinks it was awarded to unfairly.' It was surprisingly hard to balance without the risk of annoying too many people. 

You'll notice all the current awards are easy to gauge fairly, without really raising the question of favoritism. As I said, it's a tricky one man, and we weren't 100% sure how they'd be received. I.e. casual achievement hunter vs hardcore completionist :P. I'm thinking once they're implemented and we can get a good feel for them, we can adjust accordingly and start adding to the mix.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:50 am     Super secret spam barrier

Slightly off topic, but is it worth having nominations put forward as part of the debrief, or would we prefer anonymity?

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:53 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1)
Melonfish wrote:
Jamster wrote:
Can we have something liek the Victoria Cross or something. 'most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy.' is the real life definition. I know we have the 'man of the Match' but it's not quite the same.

There's quite an option but from the highest down we have the:
Victoria Cross (VC)
George Cross (GC)
Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC)
Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)
Military Cross (MC)

and many others.

For us obviously we want to ape but not jape if you get my drift. perhaps as the highest award the Elizabeth Cross (EC) and perhaps the Charles Cross (CC)?
instead of the CSC we can have just the Gallantry Cross (GC)
Distinguished Service Cross tbh we could have the Unit Service Cross (USC) same thing tbh just different name?
MC we could perhaps instead have the Navy Cross (NC)? there is no british equiv for this, although it is an american award as long as we do not copy in any way the american one we should be good.
so:

Elizabeth Cross (EC)
Charles Cross (CC)
Gallantry Cross (GC)
Unit Service Cross (USC)
Navy Cross (NC)

rather than having just a top award this allows levels of honour to be applied dependant on actions.
just an idea mind.
thanks
pete

Just a small point - Don't use this one (in Bold)!!

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 am     Super secret spam barrier

The Elizabeth Cross is awarded to the next of kin of a serviceman who was killed in action.....

This is why I'm not keen on having medals in the unit. It's a game and doesn't require the sacrifice and loss associated with a deployment in the real world.

Out of respect I suggest we drop medals altogether.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Robbie, don't worry, the additional medal ideas are just suggestions from posters in this thread.
Suggestions are welcome, but for now we'll be sticking with what has been announced in the original post. Let's give this some time to be seen in practise before considering changes!

+ New Topic + Post Reply