3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

2 Moans and an idea

42 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm     Super secret spam barrier

When I say FAC, I mean a ground controller of any sort, that includes fire team leads, section leads, and the rest.
Yeah and to that helmet thing, it's annoying me too, especially since they don't do it after midnight.

"If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
I'll be honest, I've had enough of public for now. It's too annoying for me to even play on as I can never win. 

The key problem for me is the kit. People take stupid kit which isn't part of the 3CB modpack, we go out and do one mission, and those people with the stupid kit want to return back to base because they have no ammo (And they can't get resupplied as ammo crates do not include their kit). So, for the people in the section who have the 3CB kit, they get very pissed off because they spend half the time they invest into playing actually in the field, and the other half at base or commuting to and from base to get resupplied. Now, I guess the argument is that I should encourage those in my section to take 3CB kit, of course, I can, and I always do, I'm sure all the regulars will agree that I do, but I still always get half my section with stupid kit. Again, the other argument, as some SNCO's have said to me, just don't go back to base. Yeah, that doesn't work either as half my section will just reslot/DC. 

TLDR: for a Section Commander, you are in a no-win situation. 

Personally, I think we should just restrict kit to 3CB and possibly RHS. Of course, people will complain about restricted kit, but I'd prefer to actually play the sodding game with restricted kit rather than sit at base for half my time. I think we need to evaluate what we are trying to achieve with the public server. If it's there for a recruiting purpose, we are failing that purpose, because it hardly represents the 3CB ethos in its current form. 

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I don't play a load of Ops, you know, RL, And recently I've been less inclined to play on the public, for the reasons Jet highlights. As a serial lurker, I can see the public is actually not being used much and as late, as it was, again members are leaving it to the pubbies to "enjoy".

i feel sad.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:14 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Donator (1) Media Team (1) Operations Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3) Combat Medic (1)
Weapons Operator (1)
Could it be an idea that 1-1 and 1-2 were only for people in 3CB kit and the rest could then jump in 1-3 and so on ?

I've also had enough of public for now

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Combat Medic (1)
Ace The Brewer wrote:
Could it be an idea that 1-1 and 1-2 were only for people in 3CB kit and the rest could then jump in 1-3 and so on ?

No. How would you enforce this? You'd have to have a moderator on at all times. It's much easier to just restrict the gear, not requiring moderation. 

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:36 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I'm all for completely restricting the gear to 3CB only. People jump in expecting a MilSim server, and I don't understand what "being public" has to do with gear. I've been told that we can't have Russian missions in our public maps rotation because people would join expecting one thing, but finding the other, why isn't this same idea not including gear, just because gear is cosmetic (mostly)
IMO you either go all the way through making a MilSim server (in terms of gear, vehicles, and tactics) or you go casual allowing everything, because restricting Russian gear for the sake of MilSim (and of course blue on blue) but then allowing pink pilot helmets? My 2 cents.

"If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:05 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
The comment about Russian missions is misinformed - we've had a Russian mission in the past, and it's only out of rotation because the creator has moved on and it hasn't been overhauled to work with the changes that have occurred since.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Please remember that your own personal expectations are probably not the same that other people have. I think the server generally speaking in a good place. That does not mean that there is no room for improvement and that everything always works completely fine. I do not see a big problem if somebody decides that he does not want to use 3CB Gear. Some people have a need for it and I don't really see why we should not allow it on the enviroment that is the public server.

We did have a mission in which we played as Russians. The mission had technical issues and the guy who made it has left 3CB. It can be hard to damn near impossible to fix something that another person broke. That is the reason why we do not run this mission anymore. So far nobody has showed interest to actually create and maintain a mission in which we would not be playing as 3CB by default. A big advantage is that we have full control over the 3CB content. This is something we obviously do not have over other content (RHS for example). So it is easier and safer to have missions in which you play as 3CB by default with 3CB vehicles etc. 

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Public Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (4) Combat Medic (1)
Ace The Brewer wrote:

I've also had enough of public for now

The issue then is everyone would just jump into 1-3 and play with the kit they want. Same issue with players Gucci slotting into BPT (when available) or previously the recce slot.  

It would be nice for regular members on the server to set the example for public players and try and enforce a 3CB/RHS kit only rule. This past couple of weeks it has become quite noticeable (I'm pretty much on every night) that it's starting to get out of hand. 

Maybe the rule book should be updated to include this? 

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Combat Medic (1)
Mefirst wrote:
Please remember that your own personal expectations are probably not the same that other people have. I think the server generally speaking in a good place. That does not mean that there is no room for improvement and that everything always works completely fine. I do not see a big problem if somebody decides that he does not want to use 3CB Gear. Some people have a need for it and I don't really see why we should not allow it on the enviroment that is the public server.

There is a problem with using non-3CB gear. Come and play as Section Commander; you'll soon find people expect you to spend most of your time at base. As I said before, if you have people in your section who have non-3CB gear, the only way you can get resupply is by going back to base. So after each mission, you have to RTB. This means you are spending an equal amount of time getting geared in comparison to actually being in the AO. 

This means 50% of your time playing on our server, you are gearing at base or commuting to base, and the other 50% is when you're in the AO. I don't understand how it can be said that this is not a problem, when many 3CB members, who used to be active on the server, no longer play on the server for the stated reasons above. 

+ New Topic + Post Reply