+ New Topic + Post Reply

2 Moans and an idea

42 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Jetrise wrote:
Mefirst wrote:
At least in the past Open Events that I attended we only had 3CB gear. They are basically Midweek Operations and so there is no Virtual Arsenal for people to to get anything different. Public Actions are different and basically get together sessions on the public server. This is obviously something that could be changed if we think that we have the resources to make something different work. 

I think Dobbeh said something pretty important and that is 3CB members setting an example and also communicating with other people. So when they see something weird in their section they should talk to that person first and explain why it would probably be better to take weapon X and not Y.

Sure. Public Operations will always be much better because there is much more structure in it. Everyone loads in at the same time, so you can sort gear out etc. Normal nights where you have people constantly JIP means that section commanders cannot monitor people's loadouts. So the whole entire idea of saying, hey get 3CB gear doesn't work as you don't ever see them usually until they're in the field. 

In regards to setting the example, the majority of 3CB members who come on carry BAF kit. The example is already set. I know for a fact, as well as other regular section commanders like RevJono, that we tell people to get BAF gear as it makes it more enjoyable for everyone else and logistically easier. People still don't listen and haven't for a long time, so what is being suggested simply won't work

Quoting your original comment, "I think the server generally speaking [is] in a good place", is incorrect, given by the many members not having the motivation to play on the server due to the above reasons. Using public operations as a basis to say the server is 'good' is not really reliable, as of course, public operations are structured, in comparison to normal nights, which are not. I think the original post from Steve was talking about regular public evenings, not structured operations. The public actions have also got a lot more structured given that Troop, FAC and other roles can be signed up for. 

I know this sounds rough but maybe the public server is not a place for all our members? I think the majority of people that joined 3CB did this because they wanted to play inside 3CB in a certain manner that is different (and depending on the view "better) than what you can experience in other units and public servers. I think it is a mistake to apply the same the same standards and expectations to the public server. When I talk about the server being in a good place I am talking about the server in the last 3 years. These discussions seem to come up roughly every year.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:37 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Mefirst wrote:
Jetrise wrote:
Mefirst wrote:
At least in the past Open Events that I attended we only had 3CB gear. They are basically Midweek Operations and so there is no Virtual Arsenal for people to to get anything different. Public Actions are different and basically get together sessions on the public server. This is obviously something that could be changed if we think that we have the resources to make something different work. 

I think Dobbeh said something pretty important and that is 3CB members setting an example and also communicating with other people. So when they see something weird in their section they should talk to that person first and explain why it would probably be better to take weapon X and not Y.

Sure. Public Operations will always be much better because there is much more structure in it. Everyone loads in at the same time, so you can sort gear out etc. Normal nights where you have people constantly JIP means that section commanders cannot monitor people's loadouts. So the whole entire idea of saying, hey get 3CB gear doesn't work as you don't ever see them usually until they're in the field. 

In regards to setting the example, the majority of 3CB members who come on carry BAF kit. The example is already set. I know for a fact, as well as other regular section commanders like RevJono, that we tell people to get BAF gear as it makes it more enjoyable for everyone else and logistically easier. People still don't listen and haven't for a long time, so what is being suggested simply won't work

Quoting your original comment, "I think the server generally speaking [is] in a good place", is incorrect, given by the many members not having the motivation to play on the server due to the above reasons. Using public operations as a basis to say the server is 'good' is not really reliable, as of course, public operations are structured, in comparison to normal nights, which are not. I think the original post from Steve was talking about regular public evenings, not structured operations. The public actions have also got a lot more structured given that Troop, FAC and other roles can be signed up for. 

I know this sounds rough but maybe the public server is not a place for all our members? I think the majority of people that joined 3CB did this because they wanted to play inside 3CB in a certain manner that is different (and depending on the view "better) than what you can experience in other units and public servers. I think it is a mistake to apply the same the same standards and expectations to the public server. When I talk about the server being in a good place I am talking about the server in the last 3 years. These discussions seem to come up roughly every year.

The public gone down from when I joined there was a really good time just before I became a recruit.
Or it could be that knew of nothing better. But we had some really goodtimes back then. We had sometimes even 3 sections on a random night and there was alot of members playing on the public.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
Interest in the public server is somewhat cyclic.  An influx of new players, coupled with a solid group of members, generally makes for an enjoyable experience.  Over time some/many of the new players join 3CB, and realize that there is more to Arma than the public server.  Interest in the public server wanes and the numbers reduce, along with the general play experience.  Then a fresh batch of players, coupled with renewed interest from members, increases the population and with it the experience improves.

The important part is sparking interest from members, whether this is through new missions, improvements/tweaks to existing missions or changes to the game-play.  Hence why these conversations are always very useful.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
How many 3CB members actually use the public for anything beyond the odd public action? I mean I have yet to see a fair number of members on private ops, let alone on the public. Might be timezone related of course but I don't get the sense a large proportion of the members use it.

It would also be useful if those who want to change the public missions could actually respond to questions regarding the current missions...

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:46 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
I agree that the public server needs more looking after, it seems that 3cb members SL/Ftl need to take more responsibility for section layout what gear is taken at the start of the mission. its really difficult as Jet said ppl joining halfway through missions, perhaps ppl need to take responsibility for their own gear,

We are supposed to be all adults (well Mostly) if ammo runs out then off you go to get some it shouldn't inconvenience other members, i have gone back to using 3cb gear so it helps out the team i wouldn't want to make ppl go back cos of me if i do take something odd i make sure i load the extra specific ammo in the vic, which if it gets destroyed well my bad and my loss on my toes back to resupply.

If we are using the public for recruiting then yep ppl need to toe the line a little more. We all wanna have fun but it shouldn't be at the expense of others enjoyment on the server, i dont know if SL/FTL has the ability to remove ppl from their section if they dont comply but perhaps they should, if they do i have never seen it used no matter what stupid stuff ppl dress in or gear they take.

My initial prob was roles again ppl in charge need to make sure a medic has medical gear if they join halfway through and they want to be in the section the need to rejoin and take the appropriate kit there are a lot of options without being dumb Etc.

As for the general condition of the public server it has gotten worse but we have also had some great times and engagements over the past few months its down to the mix of ppl in the sections and a strong person in charge of the teams, if someone can be removed from the section if they dont comply then thats pretty much the end of the night for them as the difficulty is set at the moment they would not last long on their own with no support, they will soon learn to behave or leave either way they will no longer be a problem.

If i can help in any way on the server then i am willing i have never seen where to apply for the public team but will have a look i am on the public most nights what we must remember is that its a game and ppl come on to have fun as well, in general i think 3CB has a pretty good mix of the realism and the fun side it just needs a firmer hand sometimes with ppl being (its got to be said) DICKS at times IE going in the snow map dressed in frogman gear while its funny for a few mins someone needs to stop it after the few mins and get the correct gear on, ppl will soon learn if they wanna join in unfortunately a few people generally need to be made to learn.

As for pilots they do need to police themselves as there is a degree of autonomy when taking the role, perhaps if they cant do that they can be stopped from flying for a while until they learn the role they joined in.

A little common sense would also be good when we have 2 or 3 ppl in a section joining as a medic and being part of the squad would be much more useful than flying around us letting everyone know we are there cos your bored with nothing to do. 

Yes there are times when not many are on and no one has a long range, again common sense we dont want or need heli support so join as part of the team, as the saying goes pilots do the flying infantry does the dieing, dont be scared come die with us. (haha spell checker wants to change dieing to dieting).

If we all work together we can make the public a great place where ppl will want to come to, there is no reason with a bit more leadership bit more organisation that every night can be great missions and good stuff to do.

PS Why F*** is there even a pink pilots helmet in the arsenal LOL

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
The pink helmet is fine and even adds a cool piece of kit you can use as a pilot. It's not something you should use as infantry. Maybe we should make the rules a bit more restrictive so that people would use the proper equipment for the role they are taking.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Steve wrote:

Because the arsenal restrictions will not have been updated with the new classnames to restrict since a mod was updated with new equipment. Sadly that involves listing all classnames of items / weapons / gear that you want restricted. It is a blacklist listing everything to ban, rather than a whitelist limiting things to just our approved equipment. It need constantly maintained across all Public missions and people have more important things to do with their free time. If BIS had been good enough to include an Arsenal limiter in the game, rather than us having to rely on a mod by ImperialAlex, there wouldn't be an issue. However, they didn't, so we do. We could always remove the mod that adds it to the game and go back to fighting CSAT or the AAF. Or people could simply not choose it.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
Evrik wrote:
Steve wrote:

Because the arsenal restrictions will not have been updated with the new classnames to restrict since a mod was updated with new equipment. Sadly that involves listing all classnames of items / weapons / gear that you want restricted. It is a blacklist listing everything to ban, rather than a whitelist limiting things to just our approved equipment. It need constantly maintained across all Public missions and people have more important things to do with their free time. If BIS had been good enough to include an Arsenal limiter in the game, rather than us having to rely on a mod by ImperialAlex, there wouldn't be an issue. However, they didn't, so we do. We could always remove the mod that adds it to the game and go back to fighting CSAT or the AAF. Or people could simply not choose it.

I'm updating the arsenal, it's nearly done and I can confirm all stupid stuff has been removed from the latest update of RHS, including Star Wars helmets. I will need to change the arsenal script from a blacklist to a whitelist at some point as currently, the list for the blacklist is huge in comparison to a whitelist. 

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
it wasnt a comment on why it was in the arsenal particularly but why it was ever made that colour in the first place by whoever, and i am confused over who is 3cb and doing stuff now is the arsenal done by someone else and edited by 3cb then.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:19 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
Yes, we use another Mod and maintain the parameters our end, meaning we maintain the kit going into our arsenals. 

"Any ship can be a minesweeper....once." - Murphys Law

+ New Topic + Post Reply