49 posts in this topic
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Mefirst wrote:
Yeah just my few cents here. Also a bit of devils advocate, since some things I mention are not necessarily my own personal position on it. But I think it is important to keep that in mind since a lot of different people play on the server. 

When it comes to the multiplayer part, I have been around ArmA since ArmA 2. Back then and now it was not that easy to find a good server with mods that allowed you to somewhat play in a realistic, tactic and cooperative way. The bulk of the servers were are game modes like KOTH, Domination/Invade & Annex. The modded server with more custom missions were often pretty empty and only active during the weekend.

I think a lot of times people were and are still searching for something like this:
• Standard mods like ACE3, TFAR, RHS etc.
• Missions that are not just KOTH or invade & annex
• Most importantly a active server with people regularly playing and also active admins.

This is pretty much how I also found 3CB three years ago. I did not came to the server because I was interested in British gear. I.saw it in the browser and I saw that it was active and had mods.

I think this is something we should keep in mind. It is also worth to remember that these people are not on the forums in general. So I would not overrate the feedback we get about this from our members about this. The worst case scenario is that these people will silently leave without feedback and we end up with the public server only being used by our members. 

I personally would like to see weapons and gear being restricted by the roles you pick. So a machine gunner would not get access to marksman rifles for example. I would then suggest that players would be allowed to pick fitting gear from RHS (Blufor), Vanilla and of course 3CB Gear. The problem with that lies with the way arsenals work in ArmA 3 (whitelist). I personally dont have issues with a player using a M4 instead of a L85A2 as a medic. I think it is more problematic when a medic takes something like a LMG or GMPG. 

The only problem I have with people running around with non-3CB weapons it that there is no way to resuply them without going back to base. I don't have that big of a problem with people running rhs blufor vests or other equipment like that. Also rhs blufor launchers are fine.

To keep the public alive we need members on as they seem to attract public members online.
Usually the more 3CB members we have online the more public members we get. Currently we have quite good moderation as public events team got expanded. Already this past week we have been able to pull +20 people onto the server and still waiting to see how many can we get for the pub action.

The problem is more or less the resuplying  atleast from the command point of view.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:15 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
People join because a server has a general population. I think that the average player does not care who is playing on the server. If people see a server that has 10-15 people online they are more likely to join it. 

I personally think that we are maybe overreacting  to concerns some players have. That does not mean that those concerns are wrong, but I think that this could end up in making the server too self centered and we end up going into a direction that can potentially cause more harm than good in the long run. Public server are always about balance and I think are potentially on the way to break that balance. 

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Mefirst wrote:
People join because a server has a general population. I think that the average player does not care who is playing on the server. If people see a server that has 10-15 people online they are more likely to join it. 

I personally think that we are maybe overreacting  to concerns some players have. That does not mean that those concerns are wrong, but I think that this could end up in making the server too self centered and we end up going into a direction that can potentially cause more harm than good in the long run. Public server are always about balance and I think are potentially on the way to break that balance. 

Yea maybe but usually more members you have more enjoyable it's for everyone as members are more experiensed.

Usually the problem of running non-3CB gear has been at its worst on the public actions as they tend to drag on for more then couple hours.

Maybe we could have a virtual arsenal in the FOBs where you could only get ammo as we usually go for them at some point for the TP pole to get reinforcements into action easily.

Something like that could work.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
Arska wrote:
Mefirst wrote:
Yeah just my few cents here. Also a bit of devils advocate, since some things I mention are not necessarily my own personal position on it. But I think it is important to keep that in mind since a lot of different people play on the server. 

When it comes to the multiplayer part, I have been around ArmA since ArmA 2. Back then and now it was not that easy to find a good server with mods that allowed you to somewhat play in a realistic, tactic and cooperative way. The bulk of the servers were are game modes like KOTH, Domination/Invade & Annex. The modded server with more custom missions were often pretty empty and only active during the weekend.

I think a lot of times people were and are still searching for something like this:
• Standard mods like ACE3, TFAR, RHS etc.
• Missions that are not just KOTH or invade & annex
• Most importantly a active server with people regularly playing and also active admins.

This is pretty much how I also found 3CB three years ago. I did not came to the server because I was interested in British gear. I.saw it in the browser and I saw that it was active and had mods.

I think this is something we should keep in mind. It is also worth to remember that these people are not on the forums in general. So I would not overrate the feedback we get about this from our members about this. The worst case scenario is that these people will silently leave without feedback and we end up with the public server only being used by our members. 

I personally would like to see weapons and gear being restricted by the roles you pick. So a machine gunner would not get access to marksman rifles for example. I would then suggest that players would be allowed to pick fitting gear from RHS (Blufor), Vanilla and of course 3CB Gear. The problem with that lies with the way arsenals work in ArmA 3 (whitelist). I personally dont have issues with a player using a M4 instead of a L85A2 as a medic. I think it is more problematic when a medic takes something like a LMG or GMPG. 

The only problem I have with people running around with non-3CB weapons it that there is no way to resuply them without going back to base. I don't have that big of a problem with people running rhs blufor vests or other equipment like that. Also rhs blufor launchers are fine.

To keep the public alive we need members on as they seem to attract public members online.
Usually the more 3CB members we have online the more public members we get. Currently we have quite good moderation as public events team got expanded. Already this past week we have been able to pull +20 people onto the server and still waiting to see how many can we get for the pub action.

The problem is more or less the resuplying  atleast from the command point of view.

if there would be a cratefiller resupply would not be that difficult to resupply. but it takes afford to implement it into the missions.
for e.g. on the brigade13 server there are special logistic slots for resupply of fly squads into the AO. but also they can spawn a vehicle and can fit everything into it. 

for me the positiv thing is about the camo pattern. negativ thing is about the weapons. ppl think twice before they download 43gb of mods to see half of the gear isnt usable. also i think for a public server the modpack is a bit too big. 

it makes sense to restricted weapons for each role, but i dont think its nessessary, never seen a medic with a javelin/lmg etc. 

edit//

like i posted some post ago that there is a cratefiller script, it would make more sense to put it into the missions as an arsenal at the FOB. 

or a other good idea would be to got a huron container as an arsenal that get airlifted to the fobs by pilots. a mobile arsenal. so they would got more work to do.

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
sorry in advance, i just took a brief look over the last 1,5 pages of posts here :P
but i dont think its a good idea too have seperate arsenals per role,
people will start to exploit the vehicle loading mechanism or just trade with diffrent role players
(which will slow down things even more than the full arsenal dressing club orgies)

i didnt played with the restricted loadout yet, kinda like the idea, but on the otherhand there is a lot of legit gear from other mods that we could add without disturbing the general british milsim style we have.
will have a look at it and think abouti t again...

Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Hight has already passed on the cratefiller scripts to the public mission team. It is being reviewed. If deemed workable and something worth adding / spending the time to add, it might be added. However, if the script is a mess, or it isn't deemed suitable / worth the time adding to all of the missions, it won't be. If anyone would like to volunteer to join the Public mission team and help shoulder some of the load making these changes, feel free.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:36 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Just wanted to offer a potential option that lets us address the issue with a potential "silent majority" or the risk of decreasing attendance.

What about if we implement it for the next couple of public events? Let people know at the start that we're trying out this new format to improve resupply, recognition, and total time in the field. You can then ask at the end to find out people's views on how it went and whether it was positive. That should hopefully give us a good handle on the impact and general reception.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
If by public events you mean the "open events" that we do once per month These more or less work like a midweek op. I cant recall one in which we did no use a zeus template and so you only had 3CB gear anyway. 

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Sorry mefirst but I believe you're wrong. Public actions each week should use the normal rotation mission afaik. Only the public ops last Friday in the month will be a bespoke mission similar to our normal op structure.

Nick, it's a good idea. I'm concerned about the silent msjority too but do we have the ability to monitor player numbers? With rotating missions anyway, I imagine fluctuations are inevitable as people have their favourites 

Last edited by Reddog on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Really? The weekly events I've been to have just been structured public missions, it's only been the big monthly operations which had custom templates.

+ New Topic + Post Reply