Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

Restricted Arsenal - BAF Equipment Only

49 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Note the difference please.

Public Actions: Take place on Saturdays and are generally "get together" play sessions on the public server on the map that is on rotation.
Open Events: Take place on the last Friday of a month and are mid-week op style missions that are open to the public.

I am pretty sure I know this because this was created in a joint effort of the media team and the recruitment team a about a year ago. We officially changed the name for this to 3CB Open Event since it caused a lot of confusion in combination with the term Public Action. As seen here, it is pretty easy to make the mistake mentioned. This is why I hope that the term will be used when we talk about this to prevent these mistakes.

As mentioned, the open events run on Zeus templates and generally speaking they always only include roles, equipment and vehicles that the mission designers wants in the mission itself. This is not the case for Public Actions which are done the way Reddog described them. 

Monitoring player numbers could be a bit tricky since they could also be misleading. It is possible that the player numbers do not change by much, but that the origin of the players on the server could change. So this could mean that we maybe get more 3CB members playing on the server but we loose public players who are not affiliated with 3CB. The problem that I see with that is that I think that the longer a player is part of 3CB, the less likely he is to play on the public server outside of public actions or open events.I think that this is a somewhat natural development since the player has 3-4 opportunities during the week to play ArmA 3 in a way that made him become a member of 3CB and stay inside the unit. So he can get his his ArmA 3 fix there and it is less likely that he will play on the server.

The worst case scenario to me is that we have a public server that is only populated by our members. 

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Mefirst I think some confusion was caused as before you edited your post you said the open events happen every week.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
To clarify my original point from the misunderstanding that you've run with: I was referring to Public Actions, as as you pointed out it wouldn't have made sense with the restricted nature of the Open Events.

To further clarify: when I suggested that we ask the players at the end for their view, I meant that we could ask the players at the end for their views.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Ok for the next public action we could try to run the restricted arsenal and ask people for feedback in the end.

Maybe make a poll or something like that people could give a fast vote. And of course just by asking in the end of the op.

We could try it in more then one public action to get a better understanding of what people think. Also we should run ones without the restricted arsenal to see what people like more.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Public Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (4) Combat Medic (1)
Arska wrote:
Ok for the next public action we could try to run the restricted arsenal and ask people for feedback in the end.

Maybe make a poll or something like that people could give a fast vote. And of course just by asking in the end of the op.

We could try it in more then one public action to get a better understanding of what people think. Also we should run ones without the restricted arsenal to see what people like more.

Pretty much what I was going to suggest. 

The public actions are pretty well organised on the night anyway by this point! Only difference between them and previous Open Events is the custom designed mission and usually a different map.

Keeping this on topic though, I think the BAF restriction has worked wonders so far in terms of teamwork/gameplay. Not once heard an issue of ammo running out which can't easily be restocked, as well as players actually grabbing the kit for the slot they took. 

But it would be interesting to see how long it takes for the issues raised at the Town Hall meeting to rear their heads again once the restriction is turned off. 

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Advanced Trainer
Operations Coordinator
Site Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Training Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (3)
Not had any issues with BAF only kit.  Loving the restriction and as has previously been stated people are (pretty much) sticking to role and equipment selection.

There are no respawns in real life.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
As you know, I have the reactions of "e ba gum" Mugabe. If the processing of friend or foe can be minimised then I'm all in.

To me it's just like Duck Typing: If it walks like a BAF and it quacks like a BAF, then it must be a BAF.

Saying that though, perhaps, in the light of the approach of Xmas, we could devote one night per week as panto night.

TANX
Andrew

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (2)
@ Hearth And Minds:

Please whitelist spare barrel. Essential part of my LMG/GPMG kit :)

The most annoyng thing about ARMA franchise isin't the bugs; The the worst thing is: You don't have better option.

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
I'll add it now and send it over to @Lifetap so he can upload it.

I also need to add the Toolkit to the BAF Arsenal. 

"Any ship can be a minesweeper....once." - Murphys Law

+ New Topic + Post Reply