1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Advanced Trainer
Operations Coordinator
Site Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Training Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (3)

Underslinging

Is there a problem with underslinging on the Chinooks (perhaps other helis) on the Public Server?  Pilot last night just kept bitching about how "we" had messed up the ability to undersling items from helis.  He banged on about it each time I got on for a ride.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
No idea, but if we speak about the same pilot who was flying a Chinook yesterday on the public action, then I would not be surprised if it was a player caused issue. His flying looked pretty dodgy and he actually got saved by ArmA being ArmA. I saw him hitting a power line with the rope of a sling loaded vehicle and he got lucky that the game decided not to count that. There are also certain weight limitations when it comes to sling loading vehicles. It is likely that he tried to lift something, that can simply not be lifted with the helo he was using. 

There is also nothing we can do when all he gives is the information that "it is messed up". More details would be needed. 

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
What was he trying to lift?

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Not that I'm aware. What was he trying to lift do you know?

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
I'll preface this by saying I would be happy to hear any advice that unit members have to offer on various subjects. Here is yesterday from my perspective. So far I've met none of your FACs and none of your rotary or fixed wing pilots, though I'm looking forward to it.  

Overfly

• I owned the tail into the light pole bit fully. Shouldn't have done that, dumb mistake that won't occur again because I'll use the proper HLS pickup 100% here on out.
Slingload
  • The vehicles wouldn't even pickup or register for pickup on an open tarmac where I was staging the vehicles, which was a bit dangerous in it's own right.
  • First air frame attempt used was a UH-60M
  • Drop down menus were tried
  • ACE sling load systems were tried
  • I need to adjust to the different weights and system limitations of the BAF, this takes a bit of time. 
  • Even the range rovers weren't registering as sling load capable, and I don't believe they weight over 8,000 lbs.
  • Even using a Chinook the vehicles weren't registering with the sling load system
  • As for power lines, yeah, if you say the line hit one it did, and that may be what caused the issue.  
  • There was no place to stage for proper sling load operations that I was made aware of.
  • Sobiet mentioned a known bug that may have caused the problem with the slingload/release system. 

CAS/VCAS

• Shot down by the SU-23 while avoiding a potential blue on blue. Came up over the tree and the SU was less than 100M from my 2 o clock. Would dive attack next time
  • Saw the MANPADs firing, I saw and heard the SAF too. Flying isn't a risk free environment.
  • The above doesn't mean I'm reckless
  • Used terrain and experiance. One can call it ARMA being ARMA, but I've done the same for years. Use terrain, use my limited jammer to best advantage and time it for when it's truly needed.
  • maintained controlled and stable flight
  • Maintained and held HPs, BPs, EAs, as ordered. 
Transport
  • 1 casualty getting off the bird in a hot HLS, multiple inserts both hot and cold. 
  • Controlled and stable flight

I look forward to any additional input from the group. I apologize for me "bitching". Next time I'll keep it to myself. It was wrong of my to carry on about it.  

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I can't comment on your obviously rubbish logistics skills ;-)..

but I did see you delivering some timely and well delivered CAS. It seemed whenever I wanted a gun-run somewhere with or without me needing to request it you appeared.... lol. So good job you and the FAC :-)

Feedback from me whilst listening in on comms would be to try and use the dedicated air net if you can - i noticed you switched to that later on. Only 31 tends to get congested enough as it is without pilots too.

Good job

J

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:05 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Radio
Quite right Serjames, on all accounts. I figured out what the radio issue was and it's a matter of adjusting. I didn't realize the air frame radio was automatically tuning 31 and it was appearently defaulting to that LR radio as opposed to the backpack one at some point. Note to self, double check that.

With CAS/VCAS
Sadly, the unenviable position of FAC was left to Sobiet, without whom I wouldn't have been able to deliver CAS or transportation without.  

Underslinging (I'm determined to de-americanize)
Spent about an hour testing the system. Most of the time it worked, but sometimes it just blanked out, even when I was doing the unthinkable and being in 3rd person in perfect auto hover over the vehicle. I think it may just be one of those things that I must adjust to. it certainly isn't the groups responsibility to adjust to me.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:16 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Advanced Trainer
Operations Coordinator
Site Admin

Ribbons:
Training Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (3)
For the short time I was on I actually thought he did a pretty good job.  Nap of the earth flying when it was needed and hit and cold insertions.  He is new to the unit and the way we do things so not necessarily up on the use of predesignated HLS.  Lots of transport and delivery of supplies.  So in my view, a team player.
When I first got on board, he was trying to sling a vehicle.  From my viewpoint, there was already a vehicle slung.  However, there were no straps visible.  He clearly thought that nothing was slung and went onto another vehicle.  The "attached" vehicle kept going below ground level to the point where it actually disappeared.  He then managed to sling another vehicle and, as he gained altitude, had two vehicles sling below.  This was the case until we reached Troop's location.  At some point, one of the vehicles disappeared.  When we went through the power lines I never noticed what happened to the other vehicle, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the Chinook before he put me down.  So it would seem that there was some sort of issue.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:20 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Really, we need to know what vehicles you were attempting to undersling. If it is a 3CB vehicle, it is something we can look at resolving. If it's a vehicle from another mod pack, there isn't much we can do about it if they haven't added sling loading to their vehicles. That said, the UH-60M isn't going to have a huge lifting capacity, so I doubt it can sling most of the vehicles anyway. If you can't lift anything with the Chinook, then there is a problem as it can lift about 13 tons, which is most soft-skin vehicle and some light armoured.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:26 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
For clarification. The UH-60M is not part of the 3CB BAF Vehicle Mod. Als mentioned my Evrik, if something wrong with it, than we cant fix it. 

There is no war to end all wars.

+ New Topic + Post Reply