+ New Topic + Post Reply
8 posts in this topic
Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:30 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)

Player Slots

You don't need to worry about heli lifting helis the chinook update that was released today adds it.  I know because I made it along with Lifetap and Evrik.  But even so it will only have a 10 tonnes limit so maximum you can lift will be a jackal or a hunter.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:17 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
The trouble with lots of pilot slots is that you get 0 ground troops and lots of wannabe top guns. I would rather have 1 superb reliable pilot than 6 public players crashing the birds every 5 minutes. Alternatively we can add more pilot slots and seriously extend the waiting time for birds to respawn?

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Can we maybe get them differentiated between fixed wing and rotary wing? 
I think we could probably do with 1x FixedWing and 2xRotaryWing pilots, with the restrictions script updated to only allow the appropriate classes (There are "pilot" (jet) and "helicopter pilot" classes).

That way, we don't have to choose between functioning logistics and air-superiority.
In my experience with this map, you need roughly one helicopter per section, not so much because of carrying capacity, but because that way you can minimize the time that no helis are available due to Refuel/Rearm/Reinforcments-pick-up, Re-supply, etc.
Since we've been running with two sections quite a few evenings now, I think having 2 heli and 1 fixed wing pilot would make a huge difference.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Whiplash wrote:
Alternatively what Alexander said, but just remove the comanche completely - which will mean that we don't get into a situation where we don't have transport.
Until we get a proper Apache, I kind of like this. The comanche is way too powerful (in some sense).
Unless you put it up against Shilkas/so-much-MANPAD-that-all-helis-just-die, it is capable of killing both armored targets as well as infantry quickly, efficiently and with minimal danger to the ground troops -  and all that without needing any real communication with them. The A-10, on the other hand, has a relatively limited armament choices, has a hard time engaging targets on its own (can't just sit still and scan), can't efficiently take out single infantry tagets, poses a danger to ground troops if you call in something too close and in general requires a lot more ground troop involvement. 

tl;dr - Comanche is easy mode, A-10 is fun because it's hard for pilots AND ground troops

EDIT: Teleportation from/to the airbase would be a good thing anyway. Too often one of the littlebirds just ends up sitting out there until the respawn script kicks in.

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Capraia changelog
v5
- added 3x Lynx Wildcats, removed Commanche

Since you got the 3CB CAS Wildcat, you have not had a Commanche available, so that particular argument is mute.
There are very few tank on Capraia anyway. It's primarily an infantry/light vehicle invasion force that you are fighting. If you need heavy ground support use the A-10 or the Challenger.

There are arguments for and against having more pilot slots. I think we might try with three pilot slots and see how it works.

Because of the high workload right now with mod testing and release, I'm not going to spend time working on more complicated pilot/copilot/gunner restriction scripts at this time. I hope you understand.

It's quite deliberate on my part that any pilot wanting to fly the A-10 has to go to some effort to get the aircraft. Spawning with everyone else is critical in my view. How pilots deal with the "all the Littlebirds are on the island runway" problem is down to them to figure out! Logistics should be equally tricky for pilots as it is for infantry.

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:21 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
ha, wait till we get re-posted to the Baltic.

THEN you'll see tanks...

;)

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:59 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:51 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Mission changelog

+ New Topic + Post Reply