1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

More mass RTBs on the public server.

So what's the suggestion Dave - I'm unclear.

Are you suggesting more "formal" Operational Call ins back to base ? How do we do that ?

The 152's don't seem to have the range so units need to follow proper comms protocol with LR radio operators within the sections etc.

I noticed a lot of players were unclear as to what was going on, as it's such a big map, getting everyone working together is tougher and harder to organise.

On Ops it's a different experience as you know - more co-ordinated.

The map "heat" markers are broken too for the moment once fixed it will improve

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:36 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
I totally agree with all of Whiplash's points.

Especially the part about taking over leadership in base and making things happen.

If no one wants to lead it's quite possible for everyone to sit there for an hour chatting, swapping hats and waiting for something to occur.  
If someone takes command, makes a quick basic plan and says "we're going <here> and we're leaving in 5 minutes" I guarantee everyone will move out on time. When I'm in a leading mood, that's what I do and it hardly ever fails to work. 

I firmly believe that with public servers running 24/7 accepting random players, you have to be prepared to accept the rough with the smooth. There will be epic moments when it all comes together, and there will be frustrating times when it seems nothing is happening or nobody is listening. When the latter is the case, either roll with it or take the initiative by asking if anyone minds if you take command of the situation and get things moving again. The more people you have or the larger the map, the more difficult it is to properly organise, just like in real life...but the subsequent reward of seeing 40+ players all following your orders, achieving objectives and having great fun doing it, is well worth those not-so-good times imo.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
I don't like the AGM group management "join group" feature. I'd get rid of that if I could.
In my experience RTB's only happen once a group has been out in the field for 2.5-3 hours and the players are tired. That's fine to me. It's tough luck on those just joining the server though.
I agree with Gav that resupply logistics should be part of the challenge and fun. I also dislike it when people just respawn to avoid all those issues. Get a lift back to base and do it properly if you want a different gun or change of hat.  ;-)

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Agreed with the group manager. We should fill up squads and stick with them, rather than having 15 in Alpha. Also, the tactical withdrawal can be as entertaining as any attack. Throwing down suppressive fire to cover a evac helicopter is always fun, right up until the moment it takes an rpg from out of nowhere.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Gav wrote:
On smaller maps i think it's the discipline and monkeying around in base that delays it. It is frustrating for me, even on Capraia, to log in and then have to wait for 20 minutes before we set off from base, hence I'd end up in an FSG team in a Landrover off on my own or with 2/3 others... this obviously only compounds the problem of organisation and discipline. in those 20 minutes, feck all of them would be spent in planning, mostly it's discussing gear, dressing your barbie doll and sorting vehicles/squads loadouts. For the life of me i dont understand how it can take this long. 5-10 loadouts in your arsenal should leave you free to log in and be sitting in your vehicle after 2 minutes.

Getting a bit of deja vu here with you Gav.

If you want discipline, do something about it. It's a public server full of pubbies/recruits/newbies, expect people to mess around and not be organised. Don't observe and complain, act. You don't need a rank or a badge to do that. Running off in your own group in a landrover isn't helping anyone.

When I'm on the public server, and none of the other experienced members are on, people run around like headless chickens. As soon as I take lead/charge and start sorting people out, people will play properly, because I am. They want to.

People taking too long to sort out their loadouts?
"Right lads, be in the chopper in 5 minutes or we're leaving without you."

People not organised? Organise them.
"Right, you're team Red, you're team Blue. Red - get into the jackal, you'll be our lead team. Blue - you take the land rover. Ready to move? Let's move."

@Whiplash, I agree with all of your points.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
To get slightly back on topic. 

Quote:
I don't like the AGM group management "join group" feature. I'd get rid of that if I could.

I tend to fully agree. Happy to run a section (if folks will have me) - not happy to run a mess which closer resembles a platoon. 

Additionally, in regards to RTB's. Is it worth adding in pre sorted logistic crates we can load into vehicles? Lets say 3 crates: Ammo/ Med Gear / Misc. AA/AT and explosives.  As a result it reduces the need to RTB, encourages folks to maintain their vehicles, and allows pilots to focus on CAS.  

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:18 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Great ideas... both coming to a server near YOU soon :-)

SJ

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:18 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
The second is on the public server as of this morning already!

Courtesy of a nice little script from Goodson, drive your vehicle into the Resupply bay and select from the load out options.

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:41 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
The former is on the dev server :), and coming to the public server soon

+ New Topic + Post Reply