10 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)

FOBs

Fob's, yes. 

Multiple spawn points, no. I've played on lots of servers, including ours where we had multiple spawn points, and they don't generally help new players imo. We've also had people abusing the spawn tents in the past, and that was a disaster too - a bit of an extreme example, but I think it reinforced the importance of a safe home base where everyone would meet up.

What I did with a recent new mission (Chickenhawk), was pre-create a small FOB and then add a teleport to/from base to there. This ensures there is a single meet/greet point (main base), but also a quick way of transporting some distance when air is not available.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
If you ask me:

No

(in terms of spawn)

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I dunno Howl I've done it and found it quite rewarding... Moving the step off point further into enemy territory.

It's not something that you should force on people... I agree. Only if they want to play base :-)

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I do get the feeling that there is some kind of trend for some people (which is their good right btw). People seem to look for solutions, because they encounter issues they can not solve on their own. As said before in other threads. I think ArmA  is a great game, because you have to work together with other people. Working together also means you sometimes have to do things you would usually not do yourself and you can also exept decision that you would not make yourself. If the current CO or SL wants to do a Convoy that is his decision and I think you should stick to it, maybe suggest a different course of action. Since it is the public server, you can also later pick the role yourself and take another course of action.

Also it pretty much depends on the mission and the map. On Hearts & Minds those convoys make good sense and you dont have to drive across the entire map if you dont like it. You can pick a area that is closer to the base. However on some maps a single FOB in the middle of the map might be a good idea. However it can also create problems. When people know they can easily spawn relatively close to the action, they tend to use that to their advantage and shift their gameplay to something more acrade and action orientated because they know they can just spawn in close and dont have to really worry about getting back.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:39 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
We used to offer Team Re-spawn - I.e. you could spawn onto your buddies as long as there were no active AI within say 200m.

We got rid of that as the pilots (rightly) got pretty bored and fed-up with nothing to do.

It's a balance issue - on large maps like Reshmaan it kinda makes sense to move an FOB closer (having said that the new base location in the centre is interesting... will change the dynamic probably.

I really like defending (big tower defence fan) so fortifying a building and fighting off the approaching Hoards is cool for me. But I know that's probably boring for others.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
RDogg wrote:
Wasn't there some mod called iBuild or something like that? Basically a very good looking mod that allowed you to build bases, etc.. with snap to functions and everything. Or something like the function in Wasteland that allows you to move stuff about.

It would be very cool to have such a thing like that (Not sure if Alive is similar to Wasteland drag & drop style thing).
Just get on the public server and try it with Alive. It's fully functional.

DeeJay and friends built an awesome FOB last night. Despite coming under heavy Russian attack from all sides they defended it superbly, kept the pilots busy with resupply and reinforcement runs and won a famous victory.
Despite Zeus's best efforts.  ;-)

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:35 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
RDogg wrote:
Razer automatically disables Windows key in-game (Which I think Alive is binded too)

Custom key 20 - bind to any free key you like. If you haven't bound a key, you won't be able to use Alive menu's. It doesn't do it automatically.
Have fun!

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:00 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
It could make for an interesting dynamic (public or private).

Apollo (or any of the other guys in the mission creator team) - is it possible to implement the ability to respawn at a "captured" FOB (similar to how Dom has the sector control TvT missions)?
E.g. Players must stay within the vicinity of a predefined strategically relevant location (lets say it's a small field slap bang in the middle of the map) for 30 minutes to "capture" the location which then unlocks the spawn point. If said location is abandoned for 'X' amount of minutes/hours - area goes back to Opfor control, resulting in the loss of said teleport point. 

Result should hopefully be: players fight their way to potential FOB, secure, hold, build and defend, defend and patrol - rinse and repeat. 

Note: this is a query, not a request :)

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Yes it is very possible. Mobile FOBs is something I mentioned a while back - the spawning could be handled by the vanilla spawn menu.

Creating a new respawn point is very easy. This is something we could implement for future/current missions (depending on what the mission creator wants). However, for ALiVE missions (which is most), I'm not sure how we can recognise whether an area is captured.

Edit: What you're after Arka sounds very much like Advance and Secure, this is something I've been working on - not sure when it will be done though.

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
It's possible, but as I've mentioned elsewhere with reasoning, I'm not in favour of alternative respawn points on the public server.

+ New Topic + Post Reply