3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

[Feedback wanted] ACE Medical Tweaks

52 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 am     Super secret spam barrier

The main problem with the previous medical settings is that it takes medics out if the game. They are either left hanging back twiddling their thumbs or get downed and cannot be revived.

Ideally everyone should be able to stabilise and revive, with time penalties for non medics Imo. Paks should only be usable in field hospitals ir ambulances and only when blood/fluid has been sorted. Meaning that broken legs, shaky aim and critical blood loss require medevac. Which I think would add to tension in game and be more realistic than a belly rub to fix a compound fracture.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:24 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Quote:
Ideally everyone should be able to stabilise and revive, with time penalties for non medics Imo. Paks should only be usable in field hospitals ir ambulances and only when blood/fluid has been sorted. Meaning that broken legs, shaky aim and critical blood loss require medevac. Which I think would add to tension in game and be more realistic than a belly rub to fix a compound fracture.

Granted - though not ideal for a public casual setting (where we cannot always guarantee a medivac will be available, and that the player base will be experienced in Arma) and the private (where we have a set session time we need to hit, while doing the mission designers objectives some justice). Currently the main critique received (particularly from our Private Op feedback) is that although the settings may be somewhat realistic and medic'centric, it would often grind the pacing to a halt when multiple casualties were taken - primarily broken legs or long periods of unconsciousness. To try reduce this, the addition of insta-death feature was introduced. Which in turn should keep the pace moving (dead players can respawn and reinforce as promptly as possible, while surviving players can move on as effectively as possible without having to focus on stabilizing people who should in all likelihood be dead).

Coupled with this, the guys have been working on AI accuracy, to try find a healthy balance.  

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:25 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
LessThanDave wrote:
The main problem with the previous medical settings is that it takes medics out if the game. They are either left hanging back twiddling their thumbs or get downed and cannot be revived.

This does sound most like the original ACE we know and "love" :-)

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:27 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Arka wrote:
Quote:

Granted - though not ideal for a public casual setting (where we cannot always guarantee a medivac will be available, and that the player base will be experienced in Arma) and the private (where we have a set session time we need to hit, while doing the mission designers objectives some justice). Currently the main critique received (particularly from our Private Op feedback) is that although the settings may be somewhat realistic and medic'centric, it would often grind the pacing to a halt when multiple casualties were taken - primarily broken legs or long periods of unconsciousness. To try reduce this, the addition of insta-death feature was introduced. Which in turn should keep the pace moving (dead players can respawn and reinforce as promptly as possible, while surviving players can move on as effectively as possible without having to focus on stabilizing people who should in all likelihood be dead).

Coupled with this, the guys have been working on AI accuracy, to try find a healthy balance.  

Actually the RTB function did actually work well on the orignal A2 with ACE2 we played. I.e. eventually you would take a "leg break" and that meant either using the Mobile Hospital in the back of the Ambulance or a trip back to the med tent at base for a full heal.

I noticed last night that URSUS seemed to be very easy to power through... we hardly had any slow downs or stops... well not from my perspective...  ? Too fast ?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:39 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Though using the last few Ops as an example (sections wiped out or crippled by mortars spaced out over ~1km) - we would spend most of our time hobbling to a safe LZ lol. When the alternative is a slow 500-600m walk or a long period of unconsciousness while I'm waiting to be revived, I'd rather top myself and respawn for my own sake, and the guys in my section who I'm burdening. 

Add this with the possibility we lose our air or transport - we can pretty much call it a day with the mission. All worst case scenario I know - but crazier things have happened in our ops :)

Edit: We're getting a bit OT though. Perhaps leave this thread for feedback and we can continue this discussion in the general or private forum :)

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:05 am     Super secret spam barrier

With insta death on I think the chances if having a whole section alive but combat ineffective would be pretty slim. So respawns would keep the tempo up. But the odd medevac would keep MERT on their toes, and for public ops all you would need to do if sling an ambulance out to a safe LZ or casualty collection point.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:13 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Ref MERT, unless Goodson has changed it (which I don't think he has), all of the larger helicopters are set as Ace Medical Facilities - as well as the Land Rover ambulance and medical tent/building at base.
So in theory a patient can be treated on-board the helicopter and doesn't need to rtb, if the settings allow it.

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:56 am     Super secret spam barrier

Apollo wrote:
Ref MERT, unless Goodson has changed it (which I don't think he has), all of the larger helicopters are set as Ace Medical Facilities - as well as the Land Rover ambulance and medical tent/building at base.
So in theory a patient can be treated on-board the helicopter and doesn't need to rtb, if the settings allow it.

Is this a scroll wheel option? Can't say I've noticed it if it is.

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:58 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
More likely it passively "activates" functions within the ACE interaction menu. Not seen it myself but I assume different options must appear.

J

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)
The med vehicle and facilities are only to restrict the use of paks and surg kits I believe.

Slightly odd, talks to pixels.

+ New Topic + Post Reply