3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
11 posts in this topic
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:17 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)

Support Form - Radio

This has been discussed in the past already and it is a point where we are making compromise on the public server. The public server and the missions are made in a way that a player can join at any time and get playing. One reason that this is possible is the fact that you know where your section/fellow players are. With that info it is easy to join the server, get your gear, check the map and get transport to the rest of the guys. The same applies to waypoints and objectives that section leaders set. So basically all players that join the server have a chance to know where he needs to go and what is going on.

Beside that usually section leaders will give grid locations etc. out on the radio to people who need to hear it (other section leaders, troop commander, pilots etc.).

By default the BLUFOR Tracking Markers have a delay fron one minute. In certain situations they are more or less accurate. Especially when elements are moving around and inside a town

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:02 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Well I was just trying to explain why certain things are the way there are at the moment. There are no plans for changes in those departments as far as I know.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:39 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Thanks for your thoughts Lionheart.

We've tried running the public server without map markers on friendly Sections in the past, but the consensus opinion was that the added realism made it too hard for players who may be learning to play ArmA with us, as radio comms are one of the more difficult/daunting aspects to use. Also, in this day and age of ubiquitous GPS, knowing the approximate position of friendly troops is not unrealistic and the 60s delay means you can't entirely rely on it. Technically, the marker is placed by the @ace3 Blufor Tracking module which does not have an option for 'random position', so we would need to go back to a scripted solution which I'm not keen on doing.

We can't disable map markers completely - this would have knock on effects to many other aspects, not the least of which would be to prevent admin communication to all players over global chat. If you and other players with you want that extra realism, by all means call in enemy positions and LZ's over the radio using grids and smoke marking without map markers - this is standard practise on our private Op's much of the time, but we can't make it a forced option.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:47 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Our BLUFORCE tracking is fine (except for those times where Arma is annoying and everybody shows up as "Alpha X-Y"), I think the bigger concern are map markers. (I.e. side chat/global chat).
I've recently noticed that #adminLogged can always use side and global so our primary reason (keep side on for admin announcements) isn't as big a concern as it used to be. 
Technical issues (i.e. "OMFG my cat ate my headset" or "My TFAR doesn't work") can be resolved via direct and/or group chat. 
With group chat, you can also still have squad leaders clearly mark their objectives for their squad members so they know where to go, however communication between sections and support elements would require actual coordination (i.e. meet at base, put markers down on direct chat).

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:02 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Alexander wrote:
I've recently noticed that #adminLogged can always use side and global so our primary reason (keep side on for admin announcements) isn't as big a concern as it used to be. 

Are you sure? Big improvement if that is the case, opening up some possibilities as you say.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Lionheart80z wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Knowing the approximate position of friendly troops is not unrealistic and the 60s delay means you can't entirely rely on it.

I see the difficulties implementing harder map readings and that it takes scripting.

60s is good, but didn't you guys consider a longer delay?

We can't disable map markers completely - this would have knock on effects to many other aspects, not the least of which would be to prevent admin communication to all players over global chat. If you and other players with you want that extra realism, by all means call in enemy positions and LZ's over the radio using grids and smoke marking without map markers - this is standard practise on our private Op's much of the time, but we can't make it a forced option.

Yes, I will myself use as much as realism as possible when playing as a squad leader. If we don't carry long range radio, we don't.

A question: What slot in the squad gives other squads the ability to see you? Do you need to have a squad leader or FTL slot?

No particular slot, it is the one who is designated the leader. That would be the section leader in normal cases, if not him then fireteam leader. If neither present then someone else in the section is designated leader and the marker is based on them.

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Apollo wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Are you sure? Big improvement if that is the case, opening up some possibilities as you say.

Quoting from the description.ext wiki page:
Quote:
Disable global, side, command and system chat. MOTD and admin say have exception and will show in global. Introduced in BETA 1.60.93398.

disableChannels[]={0,1,2,6};

0 = Global
1 = Side
2 = Command
3 = Group
4 = Vehicle
5 = Direct
6 = System

I'd say it'd be easy enough to test by adding that line to one of the public mission description.ext's and seeing what happens when #adminLogged uses global and sidechat :) 

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:45 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Beta 1.6 .... Aren't we on 1.56?!

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Alex, can you test this as it looks like your info might be for the wrong game :-)

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:05 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Apollo wrote:
Alex, can you test this as it looks like your info might be for the wrong game :-)
Don't worry, disableChannels is still available in Arma3 :) That's one of the few advantages of the fact that BIS keep re-releasing the same game under different titles: They only need one set of documentation for all games from OFP through Arma 3. (Which is why everything on the wiki indicates the earliest version in which it is available) 

+ New Topic + Post Reply