3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

Medical System Changes

31 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I think the system works fine at the moment. That aside ACE is basically re-writing their medical system for the next big update (3.7.0.). I dont think it would be that practical to make any changes until that is released (and probably a 1-2 quick hotfixes after the release).

I personally dont feel that the medic is pointless. On both the public server, or during private operations very often people do not "instantly" die. Right now people are often able to treat their own wounds, but sooner or later (usually sooner) people will be low on medical supplies. So the first point is that the medic is carrying a larger quantity of medical supplies.

The second point is that the medic is/should be the designated section/troop member to take care of somebody that is injured.
This means that the rest of the section is free to do other important things like making sure the current position is secure or they can advance to secure another position etc.

I also felt and still feel, that some of the complaints are not really based on the nature of the medical system, but maybe more in terms of the style of gameplay that we have. Especially on the public server, it is important that it the majority of people are not held back or slowed down because of a smaller ammount of people and roles. To say it short. I think you should be able to play on the public server with no big issues, even if you dont have a medic at the time. If you dont have a medic around you, it doesnt mean you cant leave base. However your effectiveness is limited a lot because the time you can be self-sufficient without him is limited or not given at all if you get hits that result in a penalty in walking spead ("broken legs" or increased weapon sway (injured arms).

The old system also had some flaws, which from my perspective outweight some of the smaller flaws we might have right now. People were complaining about long treatment times, because they were surviving injuries that they should not have. What was even worse is that people for very aware of the system and were using (or abusing) it for their own benefit. They were very much aware that they have something like afive minute bleed out timer and that lead ro very reckless playing since people knew they would get away with it. It was no problem to storm into a building that was held by the enemy, because you could be sure that in the next 5 minutes the medic at the rear will make it to you and so you could basically suicide charge the enemy. I feel that this was lowering the overall quality of gameplay not just on the public server, but also furing private operations.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Fair enough. I'd love to be able to challenge any of that, but I simply don't have the time to play on the Public Server and give a through assessment of the current settings. My suggestion was based on the concern raised by the original poster.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I'm in both camps. For private ops huge casualty scenarios like the crashed chopper are mission downers and kill the flow. Frustratingly annoying for any commander who is trying to achieve an objective and boring for players being 'triaged'

However I'd support a tweak to the public to test the 5 minute bleed out option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Serjames wrote:
I'm in both camps. For private ops huge casualty scenarios like the crashed chopper are mission downers and kill the flow. Frustratingly annoying for any commander who is trying to achieve an objective and boring for players being 'triaged'

However I'd support a tweak to the public to test the 5 minute bleed out option.

Agreed.

I have found it difficult to enjoy the pub since insta-death but it would kill an op.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
I recall that the main reason to drop the bleed out timer in favour of insta-death was a bug/feature where ACE would keep the casualty alive irrespective of whether the medic could ever reasonably patch the casualty up.  We had instances where a casualty would need 1000's of bandages to stabilize.   

I'd suggest some detailed testing (after 3.7.0) to see if this is still the case. 

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
Mefirst wrote:
I think the system works fine at the moment. That aside ACE is basically re-writing their medical system for the next big update (3.7.0.). I dont think it would be that practical to make any changes until that is released (and probably a 1-2 quick hotfixes after the release).

I personally dont feel that the medic is pointless. On both the public server, or during private operations very often people do not "instantly" die. Right now people are often able to treat their own wounds, but sooner or later (usually sooner) people will be low on medical supplies. So the first point is that the medic is carrying a larger quantity of medical supplies.

The second point is that the medic is/should be the designated section/troop member to take care of somebody that is injured.
This means that the rest of the section is free to do other important things like making sure the current position is secure or they can advance to secure another position etc.

I highly disagree on your first point. I played on the server for 3 hours' yesterday, straight, I had 10 personal aid kits. I had 9 by the time I logged off, and that was to fix a pair of broken legs. The only time when I treated someone was @Mne. Aaron. That is the only time. So, medics are very rarely the first port of call. 

I agree that, "that the medic is/should be the designated section/troop member to take care of somebody that is injured."  However, this is not the case.

Honestly, yesterday, there was no communication with myself and the teamwork displayed by everyone was not like I had seen before. 

To summarise, I will stick with what you are saying and wait for the big release. However, I believe that doing what was done has reduced the enjoyment and immersion significantly to the combat medic role. so much so that I doubt I will be playing it again. I would like it so it's turned off, however, having as suggested, a bleed out time. 

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Well I usually play on the server 3-4 hours a week for since I joined and that includes before and after the changes. Your own experience in this case might be unfortunate for you since you had different expectations.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
A well reasoned post NOFG

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)
Just to clarify, Insta death setting is different from the revive "bleed out" timer. Prevent Insta death stops you from getting killed out right from the first set of fatal damage. Whilst your downed you can still be killed from subsequent damage whilst unconscious.
Revive is a separate system that will put you in a state that can only be fixed by a pak but no further damage will kill you (wounds will still be dealt though) only the timer running down will turn out your light.

Slightly odd, talks to pixels.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:57 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Leadership (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (3)
To conclude what Evrik, Apollo and DangerousDiz had mentioned, there is another way to increase the threshold.
Turn off the instadeath, but set revivetimer to 5sec. You will still die af 5sec if you step on IED,hit by RPG or have multiple wounds. But you fall unconscious from the headshot or grenade. You can bleed out, it will depend of course how many wounds you got. At lest it was like that when i last time tested medical system 3 month ago.

If 3CB would agree to test this settings on public server for a limited period of time, that will provide necessary feedback.

P.S.
I am in both camps.
Instadeath off:
a. Some people become reckless, as you always have medic to fix you up even if you just stepped on an IED.
b. Slow down pace due to a.
c. Medics are crucial, skill matters. Experienced medic can tell which casualty go first and which can wait.
Instadeath on:
a. You know this feeling when you drive/fly 10min to AO and get killed with the first bullet.
b. Medics are not crucial any more, the section can hadle without the medic. Broken legs can be fixed with 9mm :).
c. You have to be very lucky/unlucky to live long enough that you will require medical assistance.

+ New Topic + Post Reply