Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Are your tests SP only? If so, we'd need to test it in MP. There are a whole range of separate issues caused by MP. Therefore saying there are no performance issues what so ever is irrelevant for us if it has just been tested in SP.

Also, did you test it using our mod packs / weapons? Do all sounds work on all weapons - i.e. close sounds, sound shaders, distant sounds, 5.56mm, 7.62mm, UGLs etc.. with our weapons? These are the sort of things you need to consider  - plus running Arma 3 with error logs on and checking your error report logs afterwards to see if JSRS is causing any issues - before another gig is added to the repo.

Finally, a check on the Steam Workshop comments below his last release suggests there are few issues being reported.

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Recruitment Manager
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Zeus Operations (1) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (3) Combat Medic (1)
JSRS would be optional like Dynasound wouldn't it? Does it need as rigerous testing as a compulsory mod does?

I used it over Dynasound with my previous unit and I think prefer it. I know the modset wasn't the same but for what it's worth, I never noticed any issues.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
- George Carlin

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
It would need full testing, yes, just like every other mod we add. Let's say it causes an issue in MP. Okay, that issue might only be largely confined to the person running it as an optional mod, but let's say that person running it is suddenly prone to game instability, but they also happen to be a pilot - wiping out all onboard when they are kicked off / drop connection due to mod instability - or they are signed up to 1-0 or 1-1 etc...

This is why we test, to ensure missions aren't ruined by instability. We've had Sunday Ops in the past where a mission maker has spent weeks putting an Op together, only for it to be ruined by people crashing out due to a newly added mod.

If you want this mod - or any other added - it needs to be tested in MP. Request time on the Dev servers and test it out. That is what they are for.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 pm     Super secret spam barrier

So the only criteria a mod needs to be tested against is our already existing repo? And does it significantly impact performance?

And lets say it passes this hypothetical criteria what process will it go through then?

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:28 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Dev testing. We usually get a small group to run a MP session on the Dev server and check rpt error logs to make sure they are clean and the mods aren't spamming a lot of errors or causing conflicts with others etc...

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
... and if we think its worth the change-over. I could easily find another demo for Dynasound and that sounds awesome too.... Not trying to be difficult but it would have to be significantly better in game to make it worthwhile - I'm happy to have a go at testing it back to back

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Recruitment Manager
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Serjames wrote:
... and if we think its worth the change-over. I could easily find another demo for Dynasound and that sounds awesome too.... Not trying to be difficult but it would have to be significantly better in game to make it worthwhile - I'm happy to have a go at testing it back to back
Why does it need to be a change over? Couldn't they both be run concurrently and people could take their pick?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
- George Carlin

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Best to test it first before then discussing how it is implemented. As has been said on Discord, there were major issues with it in the past. It caused server-side errors. It is why we, and most other clans, removed it about two years ago. Hopefully it has been fixed. But it will need complete testing as it was game breaking.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:55 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Do sound mods affect play balance? And would someone using one sound mod vs another have the same aural experience? In reality, we all hear differently, but it would be a shame to extenuate that difference.

I heard that, pardon!

My head is on a swivel, I just left the WD-40 at home.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Recruitment Manager
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
I've had a look at the change logs, it appears he separated the reloading and weapon handling sounds out in to a separate mod, as these were causing error messages.

"This is a small addon activating the JSRS Reloading and Weapon Handling sounds.

These sounds are working just fine in Singleplayer environment. Tho they seem to cause
some Error Report messages on the server RPT. Its just a small message saying that a sound
file is missing! They dont cause any greater lag or what so ever, just the simple error message.
Tho a lot of Admins wont allow this to happen, so they do not allow JSRS very often. By
separating these reloading sounds the potential error reports are set to a minimum and admins
are more likely to host with JSRS allowed. That is the only reason I separated these sounds."

Having used JSRS in the past I think it's a really good mod, I'd certainly be up for some testing if someone who can set the server up for me is willing to help out?

+ New Topic + Post Reply