JSRS4 - ARMA 3 Sound

25 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruitment Manager

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (1)
Serjames wrote:
... and if we think its worth the change-over. I could easily find another demo for Dynasound and that sounds awesome too.... Not trying to be difficult but it would have to be significantly better in game to make it worthwhile - I'm happy to have a go at testing it back to back
Why does it need to be a change over? Couldn't they both be run concurrently and people could take their pick?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
- George Carlin

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Operation Medal (3) Weapons Operator (1)
Best to test it first before then discussing how it is implemented. As has been said on Discord, there were major issues with it in the past. It caused server-side errors. It is why we, and most other clans, removed it about two years ago. Hopefully it has been fixed. But it will need complete testing as it was game breaking.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:55 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Media Manager

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3) Donator (1) Operation Medal (3)
Do sound mods affect play balance? And would someone using one sound mod vs another have the same aural experience? In reality, we all hear differently, but it would be a shame to extenuate that difference.

I heard that, pardon!

My head is on a swivel, I just left the WD-40 at home.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruitment Manager

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (1)
I've had a look at the change logs, it appears he separated the reloading and weapon handling sounds out in to a separate mod, as these were causing error messages.

"This is a small addon activating the JSRS Reloading and Weapon Handling sounds.

These sounds are working just fine in Singleplayer environment. Tho they seem to cause
some Error Report messages on the server RPT. Its just a small message saying that a sound
file is missing! They dont cause any greater lag or what so ever, just the simple error message.
Tho a lot of Admins wont allow this to happen, so they do not allow JSRS very often. By
separating these reloading sounds the potential error reports are set to a minimum and admins
are more likely to host with JSRS allowed. That is the only reason I separated these sounds."

Having used JSRS in the past I think it's a really good mod, I'd certainly be up for some testing if someone who can set the server up for me is willing to help out?

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:49 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Training Team (1) Modding Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (3)
Unfortunately the situation is far more complex than does JSRS work reliably.  It has to fit with our existing repo and server infrastructure.

Here's some things to consider:

3CB BAF weapons already use the sounds from Dynasound, they're built into the mod.  How does adding JSRS on top effect these?

What happens to client stability if both JSRS and Dynasound are being run at the same time?  Optional mods in a3sync require the player to untick, if they do not want them.  That means we're now asking players to untick a mod every time they play otherwise they have a possible mod conflict.  We have players that cannot even use the correct modset and others that ignore all warnings not to update TS.  Can you really expect 100% compliance to untick one of the sound mods every Op?

JSRS does not natively support RHS weapons, they use extra compat mods, in exactly the same way that ACE does.  There are 4 separate RHS mods, and we routinely swap these around in our repos, to keep the mods for a particular mission as small as possible (especially the Sunday Ops and the Patrol Ops).  So now you're asking players to untick not just the main JSRS mod, but up to 4 compat mods.  Can you still guarantee 100% compliance?

+ New Topic + Post Reply