Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)

Repos

Quick Question - I notice that the repository has been updated with the Speed of Sound Mod. Is this now required, only I use JSRS 2.0 and don't know if there are any conflicts?

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Evrik wrote:
Quick Question - I notice that the repository has been updated with the Speed of Sound Mod. Is this now required, only I use JSRS 2.0 and don't know if there are any conflicts?

I've renamed the file to clear-up confusion, it is now called @SpeedOfSound_BloodMistOnly.

The mod will add blood mists when units are hit. This will not clash with JSRS.

It's not required, but strongly recommended if you haven't used it already :)

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:57 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Ah okay, that explains it. I did actually wonder at the time why Sync thought I needed to update Speed of Sound as I couldn't recall installing it in the first place. I did already have the Blood Mist addon. That will be why. Thanks for the quick reply.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:57 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Jamie, I think you're wrong to add it to the repository if it's not on the required list of mods.

I also think it would be wrong to make this one a requirement as it won't be to everyone's taste.

PS more importantly you haven't updated the required mods list to show CBA_A3 and JayArma3Lib

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
*Backs away out of the room after getting his question answered*..... :D

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:14 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Apollo wrote:
Jamie, I think you're wrong to add it to the repository if it's not on the required list of mods.

I also think it would be wrong to make this one a requirement as it won't be to everyone's taste.

PS more importantly you haven't updated the required mods list to show CBA_A3 and JayArma3Lib

The mod is not a requirement (hence it is not on the required list), and does not have to be used. A few people have asked me about SpeedOfSound and it's blood effects but weren't sure how to download and use the mod without actually using the sounds (i.e. blood only). Rather than them having to download the entire mod and me explaining how to do this, I thought it would be easier for them if we put it in the repo.

Unlike others, this mod cannot be found (with blood only) anywhere online. This is why I've made an exception ;)

I've updated the required mods list to show CBA_A3 and JayArma3Lib. 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Right ok, I'll remove the mod from the repo and provide and separate download link instead.

3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Ok lets go back to the original idea...

A secondary "nice to have" repo - but this does need maintaining at the highest ADMIN level as I do not have the upload bandwidth to be pushing GB of mods into it via FTP.

I'm happy to create it and maintain it etc, but I can't do it unless we have some clever limited safe way for me to download directly from the internet to the server box.

Jamie can you create a user account for me with limited access ? is that possible ?

i.e. to the browser and Repo folders only ? That way it should be safe ?

SJ

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
We could do James but I honestly see no reason why we need it. It's different with the required mods as it's important that everyone has them and is running the same version as the server. However, with other mods that aren't required (and there are many of them) - they can be obtained via Armaholic (which always has the latest version). There's no point us trying to act as a sort of 'Six Updater' when there is no real need. Plus, since people won't be required to run the same version of these extra mods as the server (since it's not required), I see a lot of confusion being caused:

"I don't see what you're wearing"
"Have you got the mod?"
"Yeah, version 1.5.2?"
"No that's the one on the repo, they've not updated it yet. Get version 1.5.3 from Armaholic"
etc.

The server access permissions aren't a problem, I can create a guest/2nd account as you said James.
It's just more a question of - is this really needed? I think a simple list (as you've done) is adequate enough. People can then go onto Armaholic and get the latest version themselves.

I can see how it would be really nice to have an easy-access 2nd repo with all extra mods, but I'm not sure it's worth the fuss.

J

3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:00 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
make no mistake - I'm with you on this one Jamie. 

I'm happy maintaining my own list of mods. If others are not up to date then it's their issue fault as far as I'm concerned we shouldn't have to nanny people.

Frankly I don't really want to have to remember ANOTHER set of passwords to get onto the server - the game panel is more than enough (we just need to add HC control :) )

SJ

+ New Topic + Post Reply