3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
14 posts in this topic
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier

3CB map feedback

The biggest issue with cTab is that people were not using it. If people had used it properly then there wouldn't be a problem. It is a great bit of kit.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:45 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
People weren't using CTAB? Really? I used it loads and it really was a great bit of kit. People who don't use it are missing out. I'm all for this new addition, but if it were up to me, I'd bring Ctab back.

Just enforce more people to use it if people still rely on the magic map. Yet keep the restrictions on side channel and everything. I remember there being an ACE3 function to "Copy map" where one'd be able to copy the markings on that individuals map by ACE Interacting with them. Could 3CB not just bring that back, whilst still restricting placement on the map? It'd give more opportunities for Trp\SL brief's and interactions with their marines and also give more experience and that much more realism\immersion to the gameplay.

That one lad from Essex.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:54 pm     Super secret spam barrier

For recces, pilots, forward observers, FAC's, mortar commanders etc...cTab was invaluable. 

The only people I found didn't like it, didn't know how to use it properly and were not interested in learning it either.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
I wouldn't actually consider Ctab broken at all lol. I don't think I can think of any bug I've stumbled across when using it, and used it a lot I have.

Regarding it breaking things on the server, I can't really say anything about that since I had no clue it actually did. Haven't heard anyone say it has either.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Benzy wrote:
CTAB was broken as f**k, don't know where people are getting "We had no idea how to use it" from it was talked about getting removed for ages becuase it kept breaking things on the server. Plus i remember hearing something about the developer stopping working on it so we won't be getting it back unless someone else takes over.

From comments such as, but not limited to, 'You can't walk with it', 'I can't zoom in or out', 'There is no markers'

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:56 am     Super secret spam barrier

@JD

You can zoom with it in both minimap and full mode:  Use mouse in full
"CTRL" + "SHIFT" "PAGE_UP"     Zoom in on the "small" TAD, MicroDAGR and Android.                                                                                                                 "CTRL" + "SHIFT" "PAGE_DOWN"   Zoom out on the "small" TAD, MicroDAGR and Android.

As for walking with it, see the point above for overcoming that, walking with a map is straight line only, you can't turn or interact with the map and your cursor bounces all over the shop.
How this is in any way, shape or form better than cTab I'll never understand.

The amount of times people have said 'You can't put markers down' only to be told about how to use the SALUTE system. I have explained it twice in TS (debriefs etc) as has others, I think Seafood has as well more than once.

Lifetaps map mod is a great addition but certainly not a replacement for cTab. 

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
A few points re the current implementation of the new map mod.  

The copying of data from the side map to the group map is deliberate.  Only a small fraction of the info on the side map is relevant to the section, so it is only necessary to copy some of the information.  The fact that data has to be copied should be a prompt to the SL to brief their section.  The SL should also be adding in additional info to the group map that is specific to their section.  During mid-week and Sunday ops there is generally a lack of section level briefing.  We need to improve this.  Hence the prompt.

The copying will be made a lot easier in the next Arma release, when the vanilla map is being changed again.  Info on other channels will appear as feint outlines on the current channel.

The blufor tracking was only partially enabled last night.  FTLs should also be tracked when they are a distance away from the SL.  

There were several reasons to drop cTab.
  • It is no longer supported.  Contrary to opinion, it is not currently broken, and does not create server issues.  But it did require a 3rd party fix.
  • The navigation info is split across two maps, vanilla and cTab, which leads to continually confusion
  • The integrated map tools, dumbed down the use of the real map.
  • The custom markers are very limited, leading to having to use both the vanilla and cTab to mark points
  • Many of the features in cTab were not required
  • Issues with looking at cTab whilst moving

We still need to address the issue for pilots.  

I'd appreciate if  pilots could start a separate thread to get together their requirements for an in-cockpit map.  I'm only after the essential requirements, not the "nice to have".

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
I don't know if the map mod made the side channel change too, however, Whiskey's cannot see side chat which is a real pain for planning and such. 

"Any ship can be a minesweeper....once." - Murphys Law

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:00 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
Whiskeys are like any other unit, they can see the side if they are rank corporal or above.  It's up to the mission designer to give an appropriate rank, as they see fit.

Whiskeys on the mini-ops and patrol-ops are all above private, so can see the side channel.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:02 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Media Manager
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Media Man (1) Recruiter (1)
Media Team (1) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Kodak Commander (1) Man of the match (1) Mission Designer (2)
Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
TvT (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Combat Medic (1)
Lifetap wrote:
Whiskeys are like any other unit, they can see the side if they are rank corporal or above.  It's up to the mission designer to give an appropriate rank, as they see fit.

Whiskeys on the mini-ops and patrol-ops are all above private, so can see the side channel.

Public missions may need an edit then?

+ New Topic + Post Reply