Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
9 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)

Logistics Point / module

The logistics point / module is great, has simplified and expanded how we load up gear for operations.
One functionality that I feel is missing is the option to restrict the amount of available assets for each enabled option.
I can say section supplies are available but cant say there are 8x section supplies available.
Little differentiation between what is available in crates and what is available
In inventory gear.
Of course this means we load up our vehicles with as much stuff as possible and everyone has Javs, Section and medical across two Jackels essentially making resupply null and void as mechanic.

Additionally accessing the logistics point from outside a vehicle being able to get crates or filled backpacks to drag and rifle through for individual items would also be a big plus.

Other ideas:
Possibly a restock timer where after a set period the logistics point / module (attach module to a vehicle..) gets restocked or even set to a different selection (via script would be ok) maybe expose some script commands to set the logistics in a point or module. (Just spit balling now...) resulting in fun things like a resupply vehicle that needs to return to base to get restocked but then isn't restricted to it's ace cargo limit for delivering supplies to the field.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slightly odd, talks to pixels.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Yeah, would be good if we could fine tune it. I think the actual trunk of the vehicles are a good indicator of how much should actually fit in the car. On top of that you get the ACE3 cargo hold and the space there seems massively out of proportion. 

The trunk of a Coyote can hold 1x section supplies and then has a bit of free space left.
The ACE3 cargo hold on the other hand can fit 9x section supply crates in it's cargo hold. 

Maybe one option would be to limit the available resupply a single logistic point has to offer, combined with a reload timer. So you would need to divide the supplies from it better and then you would have a set time of the the taken supplies being available again. You could possibly fine tune this for specific operations or to more open missions like the ones on the public server etc. 

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Would it not be easier to just place the number of crates you want to restrict to and do away with the log module if you only want say 8 section supplies and one jav crate? It not exactly onerous for someone to jump out and load via the interaction menu?

Although that doesn't cover the timer point.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Yes, but that defeats the point of the logistics point doesn't it? :D

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Donator (1) Operations Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Mefirst wrote:
Yes, but that defeats the point of the logistics point doesn't it? :D

Depends how you look at it really IMO. I'm offering you a solution which lies in your own hands now without expecting anyone else to do anything for you. If you'd rather the latter then that's up to you. As far as I'm concerned the point of the logistics point is to put kit in a vehicle at a geographical point. Not sure how my suggestion invalidates that. YMMV

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Reddog, yes your suggestion is certainly an option. This thread was for improvements and suggestion on the functionality of the logistics module or point, mainly geared toward our private operations. There are different ways to achieve the same result, I am suggesting one of those could be with setting in the logistic module.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
Interesting discussion. You'd really need to speak to Nick Seafort regarding any changes to the module. That is really his pet project. I am sure he'll love you for it.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Also the point of the thread ;-)

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
It's funny you should mention that, Evrik...

Hi guys, just wanted to start off with thanking you all for some really good ideas and discussion around this :D I'm going to try and correlate the points in this thread, and then respond to them or ask further questions below.

1. Restrict loadout "pool"
I can certainly do this. The discussion seems to be in favour of a "per-loadout" limit rather than "total operations" limit, yell at me if you feel differently though.

So, how would the Inventory vs Crates limitation shake out? Have them share the same "pool" between a crate and its loose counterpart, have them manually defined separately (which would require doubling the already huge number of options in Eden), or have some specifiable global modifier (e.g. pool for crates is twice as large as for the loose equivalents)?

2. Little differentiation between crates and loose loadouts
Currently, with the exception of wheels and tracks, the list of available crates and loose loadouts is shared. If you enable Night Supplies, you'll be offered it in both crated and loose form. This is partly done to reduce the (already stupidly long) configuration menu in Eden. Diz, was this point more focused towards being able to offer different levels of a single crated vs loose loadout (see #1), or at entirely different lists of loadouts between crated and loose?

3. Infantry-usage of the UI
I've already been made aware of this by Lifetap, it's on my "will do" pile and I should be looking at it in the next few days. Expected functionality is that it'll only offer crates/wheels/tracks (i.e., only be available if ACE is installed), and will drop the relevant cargo at your feet. Functionality would otherwise be shared with the vehicle experience, but it does raise the question of whether to offer crates with a mass >1600 (the draggable max) such as Section Supplies, given that you'd have to drive a vehicle up to the point and load them if you wanted to move them away anyway...

4. Runtime alteration/replenishment of offered loadouts
Really neat idea, I like it! I'd probably go down the route of offering a scripted way to alter offered loadouts, so then a mission designer could choose to attach that to a timer function or events. Will require a reasonable rejig of the innards of the system, so don't hold your breath for this one - but I'll definitely do my best :)

5. Inventory vs ACE Cargo capacities
As mentioned, the relative capacities is out of my hands. I did consider when making this whether to allow loading of both Inventory and Cargo or not, and whether to have loading one reduce the loadable capacity of the other... but really it was just far beyond the scope of this project. As much as I share your frustration, this one is a "won't fix" unless someone gives me a really compelling argument!

And as Snoman mentioned, your numbers seem a bit squiffy Mefirst. I can load 2x SecSupp into my logistics Coyote even with its default initial inventory, or 4x if I clear its inventory. And it has 16 Cargo slots, so 8 standard crates.

6. Manually placing crates
I'd agree Reddog, there are instances where it's specifically better to just place the crates manually - but if you want to offer 40 crates rather than 6, it becomes more desirable to do it through a virtual inventory system like this. For that reason, I'm happy taking these suggestions, even if for most users they won't ever be used :)

7. Slingables
Not actually mentioned in this thread so far, but a corollary of #3 that I've been toying with. I'm tempted to offer some large-volume slingable crates (like the L16 has currently) that would spawn externally to the vehicle, to make life easier for helicopters. Thoughts?

+ New Topic + Post Reply