Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
MyCatSaid wrote:
Could just play Arma 2 instead of trying to recreate what we already have?

Instead of having to put up with WiP AI and stuff.

Just sayin.

WIP AI? A3 ASR AI has been in use for months - far superseding AI of both A2 and A3 (of which both have equally terrible AI).

Anyway, this is the Arma 3 forum - let's keep it that way. If anyone has any issues - deal with it on TS or create your own thread instead of de-railing other people's threads!

Back on topic, Fallujah would be bloody epic. Ezbekistan is another one of my favourite maps - can't wait to give that a go.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Serjames wrote:
however lets wait till the Alive CQB module is fixed, otherwise it's just all patrols wandering about but started to get a little dry today

That's why I said it Jamie, I think it is a fair point? I know James put in some work to get this working which is great. But people obviously want to play insurgency and this one isn't the best gameplay experience right now. So like I said, would make sense to play the version we have that is less dry?

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:11 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
MyCatSaid wrote:
Serjames wrote:
however lets wait till the Alive CQB module is fixed, otherwise it's just all patrols wandering about but started to get a little dry today

That's why I said it Jamie, I think it is a fair point? I know James put in some work to get this working which is great. But people obviously want to play insurgency and this one isn't the best gameplay experience right now. So like I said, would make sense to play the version we have that is less dry?

It would be a fair point if you had thoroughly tried and tested the current ALiVE mission of which, judging by your comment, I don't think you have. ALiVE missions are much more interesting, dynamic, and challenging than Insurgency (not just my own opinion - ask the rest of the global Arma community). CQB/Garrison modules are an added bonus.

We could play Takistan Insurgency on Arma 3 right now if that's what you really want (it's only a matter of changing the enemy unit classes). However, before we do that I would like you to actually play ALiVE for a reasonable amount of time first before coming to a conclusion. Then you are free to make a fair point. 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
MyCatSaid wrote:
Serjames wrote:

Don't misconstrue my comment, it's bloody awesome. Ask any of the guys who have spend all weekend playing it.

A2 Insurgency was super dry - outside of red zones you could fall asleep while your chopper flew you to the next zone. Where predictably all the OPFor would be hiding in pretty much the same place.

With ALIVE the ENTIRE map is a threat - over 3800 units active at one time. I've since lowered this to approx 2500 units as it was taking too long to get through Rasman :-) to the more interesting military strongholds where they have upwards of 8+ Armored vehicles on station. (designed to require Troop sized maneuvers with Air support I imagine to be successful. )

My issues with the scenario as it stands - is the lack of CLEAR objectives within the mission - i.e. the red zones - go red again as soon as the AI re-enforce the areas you have taken. Realistic but not conducive to the feeling of in-game achievment. There is an ALIVE based objectives tasker but I don't think it's that relevant or workable at the moment.

The Squad level tasking Ai is not ideal either. This is my chief annoyance. Once the units are profiled - i.e. become statistical and controlled by Ai they lose any Init, so I can't currently script in UPSMON for instance. There is a ticket for this addressed to the devs so hopefully we can do something in the future. What this means is that once "visualised" or physically present on the map (within 1200m of a player) they then revert to standard BIS patrol AI. Which as we know is a little boring. Once they ENGAGE with you it gets very tricky as because there is no fixed location for them (unlike the original Insurgency) they tend to Surprise you with flanking and manouver but on takistan it's easy to see lots of foot patrols all around you and just sit there sniping at them in the desert parts of the map.

Much of this criticism is down to the Takistan map topography, the open plains and High altitudes tend to encourage camping and spotting of units a long way away. CQB module, once fixed will enhance and correct 90% of this.

I would just like another module that allows more task specific Squad Ai. For instance Patrol this street only. Guard that entrance. Fortify this Bunker, Wait for the chopper to be ready on station, and then follow the tank forward to attack the infidel 3CB Royal Marine pig dog players. etc etc.

I know Spirit and the bCombat developer are working towards making this a reality - we just need a way to combine that within the ALIVE profiling structure. e.g. Once visualised A Rifle squad gets UPSMON loaded automatically. Or Spirit's Gaia etc etc

Cat, Benzy et al - Please try and restrain your public negativity to A3. I believe as do most of the silent parties that it's destructive and divisive. Arma 3 is rapidly catching up to A2 in terms of content and we all know already far exceeds it in terms of control-ability and scale. If you contributed just 30% of your bashing energy into actually creating the "but it has no... " content; then perhaps we would be in a better position. Sometimes the rants that get started seem more than a little irrational and not based on objective facts. btw Benzy I'm still looking forward to reading your 5 page synopsis on why you hate A3 ? :) suggest a PM or a specific thread in the A2 Section.

Finally Cat, why not just port your mission ? I'd give it a go for sure :)

SJ

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Let's continue this as a private discussion via TS/PMs. I'm sure others don't want to see our ranting.

/Locked

3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:45 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Accept the lock - but did just want to point out I don't think A2 is s**t.. I love A2... :)

+ New Topic Locked