3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

Sunday Operation. Round 3(?)

36 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I dont want to brag about it, but before ArmA 3 came out I was in a realism group for the darkest hour mod (red orchestra 1) for three years and since there are no bots, all we did was TvT three times a week. On a weekday we had like internal squad tvt/training with avout 12 people and on the sunday we first had a platoon (about 35 people) and right after it a company (70 people) scenarios. Especially for those larger scenarios, we would do a bit of a warm-up which is often similar to what we in our TvT's. A small mission area, usually inside a town or village with the first contact just few minutes away after the mission has launched. The result are short but very intense fights and very often 1-3 good players will decide the match. Tactics are not that important as awareness, quick reflexes and quick thinking in those scenarios. You just define the direction for the general approach and you see who is "better".

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:06 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Donno about 1 or 3 players swinging the game at this scale though (at least from an attacking standpoint). You can be a competent player, but still get easily shot by a nervous friendly who doesn't know you're supposed to be where you are (see last night for example lol).

More guys running around, in unfamiliar kit, with unfamiliar voices, using unfamiliar languages. Makes me more inclined push tactics on-top of that list to avoid a cluster-f*ck :P.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:25 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Arka wrote:
Donno about 1 or 3 players swinging the game at this scale though (at least from an attacking standpoint). You can be a competent player, but still get easily shot by a nervous friendly who doesn't know you're supposed to be where you are (see last night for example lol).

More guys running around, in unfamiliar kit, with unfamiliar voices, using unfamiliar languages. Makes me more inclined push tactics on-top of that list to avoid a cluster-f*ck :P.

It's of course generally speaking. The larger the ammount of players and the mission area, the less difference will a few "good" players make. But in those relatively smaller TvT's that are basically CQQ I think your chances are better when you split up more. This will give players more freedom of movement which can result in those good players doing instinctively was is working and if you run into the enemy, you at least end up with smaller casualties and the chance that another small group can flank the enemy that has just killed 1-3 of your guys.

I am working on a video of round 3 was longer and I think makes a better video, but I also just put something small together from the second round.

I was not directly in formation with the section and the fireteam from the start, but I realized that we are trying to do this with our usual tactics. You cant see the STHUD because I forgot to put the cinemascope out of the video, but at 0:30 I saw that both fireteams were stacked together on the other side of the road. I had to fight my urge not to pile up but decided against it and tried to move to the rest of the guys and stack up with them. That doesnt mean you should go lone wolfing, you still need to be able to act as a section and support each other and quickly react to enemy fire and movement.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:32 am     Super secret spam barrier

Absolutely, to quote many a battlefield commander, "we don't want a fair fight". I don't wanna go toe to toe with these guys to find out who has the sharper reflexes. Especially not on a server potentially hosted on a different continent.

There's no substitute for a good plan executed well.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:36 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
2nd round, Mefirst? I think that's Mackereldude killing you before I hulk-moded white team in that house :v

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Recruitment Manager
Game Admin
Site Admin
Advanced Trainer
Operations Design Team
Modder
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Recruitment Team (1) Training Team (1) Retired (1)
Frag of the match (1) Zeus Operations (3) Mission Designer (4)
Leadership (2) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
I suck massive in TvT ;-)

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:46 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Mine's already on the YT channel, its not overly offensive, I just suck!

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:14 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
xiShogun wrote:
I think we need to get out of our 'Call of Duty' mentality to be honest. Yesterday I saw quite a few people put their guns on their backs and start sprinting. We need to change our attitude to do well competitively against other groups. 

That is just a result of competetive thinking. When you look at TvT's in a competetive way, you will do whatever gives you a edge over the enemy withing the rules of the scenario. In the first scenario being faster on the start can help a lot. You move a lot faster with your gun on your back as the rest of the guys. That could get you in a good position before the enemy does or in this scenario you could be lucky and find the laptop very fast before the enemy does. I also drop everything that I certainly wont need from my inventory which gives me a better stamina pool.

Of course you need to be smart about those things, it doesnt help you when you sprint right into the enemy with your gun on your back.

As mentioned earlier, it all depends about the mission. I take the every mission for what it is. If it is a very fast and agressive CQC like the first one I try to play it like one. The second mission was something completly different and as a result had to be played differently. If we want TvT that is closer to what we usually do, we should make missions that allow ot.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:21 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I'd like to play that mission again but maybe with the distance we spawn from the AO randomised a bit. Not knowing if the enemy may have spawned between you and the objective may encourage people to approach a bit more carefully? Not exactly balanced but if we end up playing multiple rounds it could even out.

ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Alternatively we could treat TvT signup similar to our coops (still amazes me that we don't to be honest). Troop, SL and FTL's in place via the forums, coupled with a 10-15min pre-planning of each respective side prior to game launch. 

I tried to do that last time we played this as a part of your campaign Clyde. Spent 30 min checking your AO out in the editor and marking good buildings and routes in and out. Seemed to work well for our team when we did so if I remember correctly :)

+ New Topic + Post Reply