3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
4 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Favourite Books

After a discussion on discord I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about peoples favourite books and where you can recommend books to other people. Give the books name and a short description of what the book is about and why you enjoyed it. I'll start it off:
Tornado Down
About a tornado pilot and navigator who get shot down at the start of the gulf war and are captured.
This books is really descriptive and detailed and really goes into the thoughts and feelings of the pilot's. It is quite exciting and fast paced at times but at others slow and can be a bit sad. If you like aircraft and the gulf war era I would recommend you give it a read.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:55 pm     Super secret spam barrier

This is going to be a long one, so stick tight..
Catch-22: A dark satirical novel about Captain John Yossarian, a World War II bombardier stationed in Italy. The book is all about him trying to survive the war and escape it in any way he can, since a “catch-22” in the bureaucratic Air Force regulations prevents him from being grounded.
Many of examples of Catch-22 are in the book, and it is now a popular idiom, here's an example:
"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions."
The theme of bureaucracy and the absurdity of war here is illustrated in very creative ways, and is really one of a kind, here's another example:
Milo Minderbinder, one of the characters, uses the resources of the US military to serve his own economic interests, going so far as he was payed by the Germans to bomb their own airbase! 

This is probably my favorite fiction book of all time because the themes and how they are illustrated could not be any more absurd and comical, and it's shown that they really aren't anymore absurd than what war is! Just bear in mind that this book was written in regards to all the proxy wars and money wars that were happening and not WWII. Specifically Heller was talking about the 50s with McCartyhism (Captain Black's Loyalty Oath), the Cold War and Korean War.

Last edited by WarrenSkip on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 pm     Super secret spam barrier

And to add one non-fiction book to the list:
Berlin: The Downfall 1945: This is a book by Antony Beevor and specifically focuses on the military and "on-the-ground" events as the Red Army was approaching Berlin in 1944/1945 all the way to the end of the fighting in the Reichstag. It doesn't fail to highlight the atrocities on both sides, especially the Soviet side and how they were extremely violent as they got into Germany. 

The book is really great because it does not shy away from the motivations of and the atrocities that were committed on both sides of the battle, it looks at the bigger picture when it comes to the actions of both sides, the Germans and the Soviets, not just in a classical military sense, but also introduces other information on the battle that you would never see in histories, or only if you were there, such as the fact that Soviet units in some sectors of Berlin were getting more casualties from friendly fire than from the enemy due to each commander wanting to get to the center of Berlin first. But not only does it explore the battles in a interesting tactical/strategic level but also on a human-level on what people were seeing on the ground, right then and there.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:24 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Zeus Operations (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (2)
Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks

What its about is in the name but it goes into so much detail that it almost convinces you that the zombie apocalypse is possible. Covers everything from wepons to use, diagnosis, medical, locations to live/go/avoid, biology behind them and the list goes on.

Highly recommended from me

(Disclaimer: I'm not a book reader usually but this book caught my attention)

+ New Topic + Post Reply