3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
5 posts in this topic
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:13 am     Super secret spam barrier

PC Build

Hi Guys, I'm about to embark on my first ever PC build and have limited experience so I'm looking for any advice I can get. Its going to be relatively low budget but I just want to make sure that I can run Arma the way I need to. I'm currently using a laptop and although it works when things get hairy it starts getting laggy. 

So this is the list of components I've picked through watching youtube tutorials and other info sources

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600XT Processor (6C/12T, 35MB Cache, Up to 4.5 GHz Max Boost) – With Wraith Spire Cooler
PSU: Aerocool Integrator 500W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply Unit
SSD: Crucial P1 1 TB CT1000P1SSD8 Internal Solid State Drive-up to 2000 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2), Black
CASE: Fractal Design Focus G - Mid Tower Computer Case - ATX - High Airflow - 2x Fractal Design Silent LL Series 120mm White LED Fans Included - USB 3.0 - Window Side Panel - Black
DDR4: Crucial Ballistix RGB BL2K8G32C16U4BL 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16, Black

I'd like to know if I have everything I need. Is it overkill/not enough. Are there better items similarly priced. Any experience with the parts mentioned good or bad. Or should I just buy a prebuilt

Cheers.

Smythy.

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Public Events Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Public Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Leadership (2)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) TvT (1) Operation Medal (3)
Smythy, That Build is more than capable of running ARMA - ( i would suspect as i dont run it, to a medium/high preset?)

1, DO NOT BUY PREBUILT - EVER
2, SEE RULE 1

3, invest over time and watch the markets, with the 30 series release you can pick up used 1080/1080ti for around the same price as that 1660 TI, same with a lot of older components as everyone is upgrading!!! bearing in mind ARMA is an older game and that i still run a 1080ti on Ultra with a 8600K. who knows the 3050/3060 could come in and upset the market even more price-performance wise??

4, what else are you going to use the pc for? other games , 3d modelling , office suite? ( depends on what i would personally recommend)
5, i see that you have never built a pc before but it is really simple, watch a couple of youtube vids wont mention specific channels (not sure if allowed)
6, Monitor? what monitor are you going to be running? is it 1080p, 4k? that again can effect what sort of GPU you should be buying.

i know there are a few people that build there own rigs in this community and everyone will tell you to get something else, do your own research and take your time with it. the Component market is ever changing and always evolving but old doesn't = Bad.

Always Happy to help if you do find yourself completley stuck.

Simmo

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:00 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Cheers Simmo, I will most definitely follow points one and two. I am planning on a 1080p monitor so I probably don't need some super high end GPU. I will only be using the PC for gaming (mostly ARMA), general use and a small bit of video editing. Nothing to strenuous. The price of the 1080 is still quite high. The 1660ti should hopefully be sufficient. At least I'll be able to upgrade in time. Have to keep the missus happy RE $$$$.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:21 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Donator (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (1) TvT (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (3)
I still have a 1060ti and an i5-4690k in mine and I recently bought a 1440p monitor and I can still run at what I consider decent frame rates. I don't have an onscreen fps counter though so can't give figures. Your rig will be fine 

Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:15 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
whats your budget mate? 

i finsihed my build in November last year and havent tweaked it much or adjusted the Arma settings properly. 

Current build:

Phantek Enthoo 719 case
MSI Ace Meg Z390 MB 
I9 9900k 
2080 Super
16gb CORSAIR Vengeance 2400 ram (need to upgrade this)
Corsair H150i pro AIO (replaced fans for Noctua 120 3000rpm).
9 TT Riing 120mm Fans
140mm Phanktek fan.
1tb m.2 
512gb SSD Sandisk
256gb Samsung SSD
1000w Corsair HX1000 modular

i wont be building for awhile given the shortage of semi conductors and of course it aint cheap to upgrade :L 

happy to help in spec though

His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity.

+ New Topic + Post Reply