Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
6 posts in this topic
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Regular (1)

Strange Talk ...

... Hey, 

.. this is a far fetch, but i've been at a strange conference over the holidays ( Christmass to New Years Eve ) .. and somehow ended up in a realy strange talk.
The talk starts awkward and it turns out to be about 'improv theater', i know .. i needed to kill time at that point

But that talk turn out to have nice guidelines he calls it 'Commandments' ... that might work pretty well in the 3CB milsim community enviroment ...  

I know its from a left wing, liberalarts mayor,  treehugger but interesting points just replace 'actor' with whatever you like to call yourself / follow community member.

Here is the whole talk  ... 

https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7138-g_scheitern

... the frist part is special because he presents what he does ( he is an improv theater manager ) but round about the 8min marker he gets into the interesting bits.

... cheers moeses

ps: i'll go hug a fellow tree now, maybe there is an apple next to it =)

gWftO: BioLatschen

edit: improve ==> improv .. THX@Melonfish

Last edited by Moeses on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:57 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Public Regular (1)
Solid advice! I think too many players on the public server are guilty of breaking immersion unintentionally:

Calling the enemies 'AI'
Saying that they 'Spawned in'
etc

I know RP isn't enforced on this community, but it's nice for people who really want to get themselves immersed in the action to be 'supported' by everyone else. 

:D 

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
What am I meant to do when the AI spawns in and then dumbots around the screen though? Alt+F4?! D:

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:58 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Nick Seafort wrote:
What am I meant to do when the AI spawns in and then dumbots around the screen though? Alt+F4?! D:
Just call the enemy "enemy" (or something more specific like EI, bmp, etc - whatever it is) and say "I spotted" or maybe use "appeared" instead of "spawned". E.g. "A lot of AI just spawned north of you" would become "I just spotted a large enemy force to your north"

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:10 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Alexander wrote:
Nick Seafort wrote:
Just call the enemy "enemy" (or something more specific like EI, bmp, etc - whatever it is) and say "I spotted" or maybe use "appeared" instead of "spawned". E.g. "A lot of AI just spawned north of you" would become "I just spotted a large enemy force to your north"

I was taking the mick ;)

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Regular (1)
dahng it ... you totaly picking up on the wrong things but your not wrong .... that talk has a lot of nice points how to 'behave' in communities ... and like i said it translates well to milsim ... =) 

01. You are all supporting actors. 
      he makes that story about 'dont argue why you need to stand there, just stand there', applies very mutch to arma =) 

02. Allways check your impulses. 
     the ammount of time 'noone' makes a decision in a situation where fast acting is needed is stagering, even if its a s**t decision, its better then no desicion, amd maybe the 7 other guys in the squad are not total s**t, and might make the best out of it then just sitting there and waiting' .. again .. very mutch arma  =)

03. Never enter a scene unless your are NEEDED.
   applies very mutch to 'new logging in' or 'reloging' assets ... random new group joins and logs is as new section or whiskey<something> or zulu .. then drive up to the AO .. and just start shooting at s**t and blowup 'the plan' ... sure not everyone is doing it ... alot of ppl sign in properly and 'hey 1-1 this is Zulu / hammer / whiskey / 1-X availbile where do you need me' 

04: Save your fellow members, dont worry about the plan 
    thats also kinds neat ... if someone gets onto the s**t or fumbles .. dont stick to 'the plan' just help a brother out ... goes with 'no plan stands till first contact' =) 

05. Your prime responsibility is to support. 
    yeah .. common .... if someone is in the s**t .. even if he suffled the s**t on him himself ... help him out. the same might happen to you and then you would like it if someone is digging you out of your own s**t =)

06. Work on top of your brains at all times. 
   yeah ... you know, try to think use the brains, ok stupidity is not a bit problem in 3CB all here decently smart and the ammount of 'stupid s**t' is limited =) 

07. Never underestimate or condescend to you members ... 
   ... ok .. some ppl are thick in the brains and you have to explain a plan in ELI5 way ... but dont start like that ... if you just lay the plan plain on him .. he might understand .. and you save alot of time ... only a small ammount of ppl are 'realy stupid' ... but they are a minority and most of the time are even willing to learn 

08. No Jokes ( unless it its tipped in front that it is a joke ) .... 
  ... i hope you now what that means .... _No Jokes_ .. .thats like the guy who throwes a granade in the middle of a group to have a laught when everyone runs ... or putting morphine into ppl ... but still the banana game is fair play .. its an announced joke =) 

09. Trust .... Trust your fellow members to support you, trust them to come through is you lay something heavy on them, trust yourself.
    yeah ... man ,... have some faith in your players ...  micromanagement is needed sometimes .. but trust them to sort their on s**t out ... you realy dont want to mircomanagement all the s**t its just goes on your nerves ... 

10. Avoid judging what is going on  
       yes ... thats what debrefings are for but in the field that extra 12seconds you explain why the plan is s**t .. is the 12seconds you sit there and the enemy is adjusting fire to you =) 

11 Listen ..... 
      .... you know .. just listen the first time it saves time.. it kinda goes with the last 5 points =) 

cheers moeses

s**t way to mutch text ... need to add kitten picture or a gun ...

why not both =) 

Last edited by Moeses on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+ New Topic + Post Reply