Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)

So I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10

And it's actually alright.

Bought a Windows 10 Pro key from Amazon for £30. Downloaded the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website and copied it to a bootable USB drive. Restarted PC, booted onto the USB, ran the installer, and performed a clean install. Overall it was pretty painless and not as big a hassle as I thought it would be.

Btw if you're currently on Windows 7 or 8, the free upgrade to Windows 10 ends on 29 July. After that I'm not sure if there'll still be any cheap keys around, and cracking W10 seems to be much harder than 7 or 8. Honestly I would just spend the £30 now and upgrade, save the hassle.

If you're gonna buy the same key I bought from Amazon, make sure you do it quick as the key is delivered to you via post. I'm pretty sure these keys are just unused Windows 8 keys (which will still allow you activate W10, but not after 29 July), so I wouldn't hang around.

Start menu is miles better than the one from Windows 8. I even prefer this one over Windows 7. We'll ignore that Candy Crush tile...

Searching from the start menu is also nice (just press Windows key and start typing).

Interface is clean and spacious. Everything is snappy and just works. Also good to know I'll have DirectX 12 now, so I'm future-proofed for that.
Glad I did the upgrade, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be.

P.S
If you're gonna upgrade, it's recommended you do a clean install (i.e. formatting your hard drive/SSD, and then installing). Originally I tried to do the upgrade procedure from W8 to 10, but had some issues.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I've had 10 since release pretty much and can't say I've had any crippling issues, aside from a couple that were my fault anyway.

I prefer it to 7 and needless to say it's a huge improvement on 8/8.1

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:24 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Yep I had it from release. Loved 7 hated 8 so 10 has been a really good move for me. Never in 2 years had an issue with it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Dwayne wrote:
Yeah it's a nice OS I like it. Just remember to turn off 'Cortana' unless you wanna be tracked 24/7! 

Only problem I have with Win 10 is that BF3 is no longer playable for me. But on the plus side FSX loads faster!

BF3 runs ok for me. Vaguely remember having to tweak some settings though

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:16 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Dwayne wrote:
Yeah it's a nice OS I like it. Just remember to turn off 'Cortana' unless you wanna be tracked 24/7! 

Yeah that was the first thing I did lol. While installing there was also an 'Advanced' button which actually just took you to an extra screen where you can turn off all the extra tracking. If you didn't do that while installing, I'd definitely google how to disable it all.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Dwayne wrote:

Only problem I have with Win 10 is that BF3 is no longer playable for me. But on the plus side FSX loads faster!

Never mind turn it off.....I can't switch her bloody on.

Which I suppose is no bad thing.

No other problems. I actually like it over 7. Easier to find stuff.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Robbie when you search for something, you just click this button:

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:22 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Yeah and with more games supporting DirectX 12 (which generally means higher frames), then it's definitely worth upgrading to 10.

Btw, like I mentioned earlier, if you're gonna get one of those £30 licences then I'd do it quickly. I reckon they're unused Windows 8 licences (which is why they're so cheap) which can at the moment be used to activate 10. However, after 29 July, Windows 7/8 licences will no longer be able to activate 10. That also probably means the licence prices will go back up to £99 (or whatever it is).

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
My favorite thing are the administration options you got when you rightclick on the windows icon on taskbar :)

things to consider is mainly privacy stuff imo.
therefore:
Windows 10 Privacy "fixes" and usefull software:
as goodson said: do a clean install,
and dont just click continue on the inital setup during installation,
use an offline account,
dont use the window store,
use the privacy tool mentioned above.

Iam not aware of any comaptibility issues for the typically arma players so far...

regarding the license (while upgrading)...
afaik there 2 types of keys/licenses:
if you bought a pc that included a windows home license (oem) your hardware will be whitlisted to use windows 10,
if you bought a regular copy of windows or own a pro license your key will be transformed to a windows 10 key.

That means if you use your walmart pc and upgrade it to windows 10, than want to use the same key (from the sicker on the tower) on another machine, it wont work.
if you bought a normal windows 7/8 copy, your license key will work for any windows 10 (and stopps working for 7/8) installations.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:25 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
meanwhile on the airport...

+ New Topic + Post Reply