3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
5 posts in this topic
Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Arma3Sync checking files slows computer to a grind.

Hey all,
I reinstalled the repository the other day to play with you guys. The initial download didn't pose any problems and I was able to download with no issues. I admit I left it standing while I was watching some television, so I didn't notice anything.

The problem occurred last night. I was trying to download the latest (very small) update and my computer was slowed to an absolute halt when using Arma3Sync. I couldn't see anything when I finally managed to open my task manager. Everything was running at minimal, with the exception of some higher HDD usage, which made sense.

This all happens when I'm connected to the repository and it is checking the files. It took well over 2 hours of it just sitting there. When launching anything new, it would take about 10 minutes before it opened (was googling what the problem might be). It finally finished checking the files and the download was fast.

Today I was going to test it again, but the repo was gone. I re-entered the repo link and it notified me that there was an update. Now I'm stuck again, waiting for it to check the files and it is taking forever. I would take a screenshot of it, but I can't since everything is locked down.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
looks like arma3sync doenst cache your version of the files you have.
seen this multiple times, still dont know why its happening.

normally a3s scans all files once, after that it just used the data to compare to the online version in case of updates.

make sure there are no other programs that tamper with the mod files (either metadata or actual data), and/or try to run it with disabled AV.

depending on your hardware its normal that the initial scan of files (most likely to happen after you downloaded all mods for the first time) slows down the whole machine (generating checksums and stuff).
but its not normal that this happens everytime you want to download an update

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Operations Design Team
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Team (1) Training Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Asset Medal [Air] (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
What hard drive / SSD did you store the mods as if your SSD or Hard drive is full it would slow things down.

Also do you have any other programs running in the background that could effect the speed?

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier

I figured it had something to do with caching, so I tried running it with admin access - didn't change anything. What is and how do I run it with disabled AV?

My HDD has plenty of space and A3S is running from the same drive as the mods. I also run no other programs that should be interfering with it. Other than Avast.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm     Super secret spam barrier

**Update**

I think it may be a matter of access. Every time I open A3S the repo is gone. All the files are there, but the repo under "Repositories" is gone.

+ New Topic + Post Reply