1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

Server analysis

Jamie.. found this..

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23525
Could help with server load balancing ?

SJ

Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Been following this - he created it initially for use with his AI vs AI testing.

Never though about using this for server monitoring though - will think about this.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Excellent find Mike, if this gets integrated the "Network Bubble" would hugely improve performance. I'm shocked this hasn't been part of Arma from day 1.

In terms of our own server - I often monitor server performance when I'm online. To be honest, with the specs we're running, we can't possibly get much more of a higher-grade server. 32GB RAM and an i7 Haswell on a 100Mbit line alone pretty much rules out hardware being the issue.

Also, what mission was this other server running? A high number of players has far less of an effect on performance than a high number of AI. Was the server running any mods, or purely vanilla?

The issue is almost definately a combination of BI's network optimisation, mods, mission design, and client-side settings. Like you said - go on any other server that is strictly vanilla only and you will always get higher frames. On top of that, AI numbers are obviously a huge factor in client FPS, even if the server is running at high frames.

We aren't the only ones with this issue. In fact, almost everyone in the Arma community is having the same problem at the moment. Arma 3's current MP state is not in a good way, we just have to wait until BI get themselves in gear and start sorting this out. Read the first post on this page (in fact, the whole thread from page 1 is worth reading):

Multiplayer not in playable state
It looks like this network bubble might be our only hope at the moment.

P.S
Just as a test, perhaps we should run our private server purely vanilla only, with the same mission, allow around 10 or so players to join, and monitor what sort of performance we get.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Mikk36 wrote:
Sure, just say the time of the test (why not already today?).

I've only just thought of the idea Mikk, plus I've been away the entire day. Just got back home about 15 minutes ago, gimme a chance :P

3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

+ New Topic + Post Reply