Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)

Headset Discussion

I would recommend the Corsair Vengeance 1500, I've been using them for the past two years.

Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB Dolby

I've found the audio quality on these to be great (including the microphone), and they're extremely comfortable to wear. Sometimes I wear these for the entire day without taking them off, they're very comfortable indeed.

Note that they are a USB headset, meaning that the headset does not need to rely on your sound card for quality.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:36 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
For around $120 you could pick up a half decent pair of headphones if audio quality is your first priority. My experience with some of the most expensive and high rated headsets is pretty low in that area.

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:42 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Cat's and Dan's suggestion would probably be my first choice in the future, purely for the sake of audio quality and having a larger variety of headphones to choose from. However, for convenience you can't go wrong with a headset.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:36 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Howl wrote:
I don't really like the idea of plugging headphones in my ear to game . . . dunno, just seems foreign to me. Jamie, I really like the look of the headset you suggested. How is the surround sound?

To be honest I haven't really noticed a difference with surround sound, but then I've only really tested them with Arma (which, AFAIK, doesn't offer surround sound).

Btw, not sure what you meant by "plugging headphones in my ear". The key word is 'headphones' and not 'earphones' :P

This is the Mod Mic that Dan and Cat are referring to (I know Cat uses this):

http://www.modmic.com

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Howl wrote:
A difference between what?

Well, not having surround sound. The headset attempts to mimic surround sound by taking stereo and creating 'fake' surround sound. Not sure how much better it works with sound sources that output real 5.1 surround sound, but like I said - I haven't tested this.

To be honest, if surround is really a feature you also want - don't bother with those that 'fake' it.

Surround sound aside - I always use the stereo mode for the headset which sounds awesome.

In terms of drivers/software, the headset comes with Corsair's own little control panel that allows you to adjust the EQ of the headphones (e.g. if you like more bass you can increase it here, or vice versa).

Note - the software also allows you to loopback your own voice through the headset so that you can hear yourself speak. Pretty handy if you don't want to be shouting all the time because you can't hear yourself speak :P

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
I'm going to get the 4.0 soon. I think my 2.0 is cracking up. All in all the mic is great, small and easy to take on and off if need be. Headphones have their advantages but if you don't really care much about audio and you just want to game then get a headset.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Dan_Fielding wrote:
Just putting it out there, I've got These + A webcam mic.

The reason I went this way is because I love to listen to music while working, editing, doing 3D work etc. and I'm also a bit of an audiophile.  So, some mid priced High end headphones were great (for me).  These combined with the modmic I hope to get would be great FOR ME.

I guess what I'm trying to say is go with what YOU want.  Would you prefer a reduced audio quality headset with surround sound and a built in mic for less, or a better sounding pair of HEADphones (not earphones :p)  with something like a modmic/desk mic?

I think I posted this in another thread before but..

That's mine HD595 with modmic 2.0. Will be getting 4.0 soon I think as it looks superior to the 2.0.

It is definitely the route I would go if you want sound quality and comfort. I've had plenty of headsets in the past that hurt after a few hours of gaming but I've never had a problem with these. Could wear them all day without discomfort. 

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
I have this version of the plantronics gamecom 377 and I find them really comfy and with good sound quality as well.
Had them almost 3 years and no issues.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
That is probably the worst thing about most headsets they come with the standard leather pads. I much prefer the quality of velour pads, so much more comfy and don't sweat your ears after long session.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:24 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
For those still interested. ModMic 4.0 just arrived today. So got some pictures of my setup with the trackIR.

+ New Topic + Post Reply