22 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:22 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)

Spec me a PC

Can I get some recommendations on a spec / price for a PC for a grandparent (over 70) please?

To replace a tower PC running Win XP.

Can be either components to build (I'm experienced at building PC's) or purchased complete.

Could be a laptop, but probably not, as it will be connected to an existing USB mouse/keyboard and monitor (not touch screen) and I'd like to provide an SSD speed experience. Portability is not required.

Monitor runs at relatively low resolution (1024x768 I think) because otherwise the text is too small to read for ageing eyesight. I think it's also DVI input, so I might have to use an HDMI-DVI cable.

USAGE
General computing - Email / Internet / Office Apps
Video Editing (1080p)
Not for gaming

MUST INCLUDE
Case + Fans
Intel CPU (sorry not a fan of AMD)
Motherboard
RAM
Power Supply
SSD for OS and Programs
HDD for Data (>1TB)
DVD Writer
Ethernet (wired LAN)
USB front and rear (ie. some need to be easily accessible)
SD Card Reader
Stereo sound output (hi-fidelity not needed)
Whisper quiet operation
Windows 8.1 with classic shell? (must look like Win 7)

DON'T NEED
Monitor
Speakers
Mouse
Keyboard
Sound Card

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
TheGuy wrote:
Why not just use Windows 7?

I asked this of others and they said Win 8 with classic shell was the way to go.
So if you recommend Win 7, could you give reasons?

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:16 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Who does 1080p video editing on a 1024x768 screen? Actually, what 70 year old does video editing and at the same time needs help picking a PC?

How serious a PC are we talking about here? As a rule of thumb, PCs that allow you to do professional video editing cost 2000-3000$, and enjoyable editing experiences start somewhere just below the 1000$ mark.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
TheGuy wrote:
Windows 7 has better compatibility and so many less issues compared to newer versions of Windows. At the moment, I'd would highly recommend W7 over any other Windows-based operating system. It's also not-bloated with s**t tablet s**t. Also; do you need a Graphics card or planning to use on-board, considering it's going to be used for Video Editing...

Windows 8.1 is much faster, more efficient, and generally better (boot time, performance, security, data transfer, etc) than Windows 7. The face of W8 may be different, but it's inner workings are very different indeed. As for compatibility, I don't think that's a concern anymore (Windows 10 is to be released in ~7 months, surely software developers have caught onto the Windows 8 train by now).

I wasn't a big fan of the Windows 8 interface to begin with either. But once you get used to it, you start to like it (apart from the tiles, I barely use those).

@Apollo - What are your reasons for wanting to build this PC yourself? Is it purely for the cost or for the customization? IMO it's not worth building a custom PC of this low a spec/for a 70 year old's general usage; you would probably be better off getting a budget home office PC from PC World.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-h500s-desktop-pc-10010869-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/lenovo-h500s-desktop-pc-10010869-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/packard-bell-imedia-s-2885-desktop-pc-10011021-pdt.html

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Quote:
Storage HDD - 1TB is surely too small for a video editing system?

It's been more than enough so far. Think he's only had 250Gb available previously. Video gets made, burnt to DVD and files deleted.

Quote:
Card reader - can this be a peripheral rather than a case built-in?

Yes, could be peripheral.

Mikk - thanks for all.

Quote:
Who does 1080p video editing on a 1024x768 screen?

The raw files are captured at 1080p, edited into a video and output to DVD for viewing on a TV. Doesn't matter what the video editing screen res is. It may be 1280x960, really can't remember. This isn't Star Wars film production, just family memories.

Quote:
Actually, what 70 year old does video editing and at the same time needs help picking a PC?

Can't see the relevance or logic in this, seems a ridiculous thing to say and quite unnecessary.

Quote:
How about running at a proper resolution but using Windows' built-in font size boosting?

Font size boosting - didn't work well enough in WinXp - does it boost ALL WRITING in Win8? (including windows explorer, dialogs, etc etc). Don't really want to spend extra on a new monitor if it's not needed.

Quote:
What are your reasons for wanting to build this PC yourself? Is it purely for the cost or for the customization? IMO it's not worth building a custom PC of this low a spec/for a 70 year old's general usage; you would probably be better off getting a budget home office PC from PC World.

Original Post: "Can be either components to build (I'm experienced at building PC's) or purchased complete."
I don't see SSD's in those PC World links. You recommend buy separate and install? How to do if no Windows disks for OS install?

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Apollo wrote:
Quote:
What are your reasons for wanting to build this PC yourself? Is it purely for the cost or for the customization? IMO it's not worth building a custom PC of this low a spec/for a 70 year old's general usage; you would probably be better off getting a budget home office PC from PC World.

Original Post: "Can be either components to build (I'm experienced at building PC's) or purchased complete."
I don't see SSD's in those PC World links. You recommend buy separate and install? How to do if no Windows disks for OS install?

In that case, I would go for the latter (purchased complete). Are SSDs absolutely necessary (I've only really considered SSDs to be necessary for power users and not for general browsing/email/word processing etc)? If not, I would go with systems similar to the ones I linked (due to their price) and forget about the SSDs. I would say the hardware in those machines (especially the i5 one, 3rd link) is more than enough.

Edit:
The added advantage of pre-built systems is that they usually come with the OS (which would otherwise cost you ~£85).

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:02 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Goodson wrote:
Are SSDs absolutely necessary (I've only really considered SSDs to be necessary for power users and not for general browsing/email/word processing etc)?

Adding an SSD was the biggest single improvement I've ever made to a PC. The perceptible speed difference in general use is incredible. Plus they seem to cost sub £100 for 120Gb, which is what I have in my gaming rig, and it's been big enough to run Win + Apps + ArmA.

Goodson wrote:
The added advantage of pre-built systems is that they usually come with the OS (which would otherwise cost you ~£85).

Alternatively it is a disadvantage of a pre-built system that it includes the OS but no re-install disks? Or is there a modern way around this for the time when your main storage fails or Windows gets corrupted and you need to start again?

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Apollo wrote:
Adding an SSD was the biggest single improvement I've ever made to a PC. The perceptible speed difference in general use is incredible. Plus they seem to cost sub £100 for 120Gb, which is what I have in my gaming rig, and it's been big enough to run Win + Apps + ArmA.

Yes but I would consider you a power user, therefore you would notice the difference haha. As you said though, they are pretty cheap so it's up to you - I'm only advising. Bear in mind that it doesn't seem like many pre-built systems exist (that aren't relatively high spec) have SSDs (PC World don't appear to sell any, apart from in their Gaming PC lineup). So your only option may be to do a custom build (I don't think you'd be able to install an SSD into a pre-built system considering their size, but I guess it depends on the system you choose).

Apollo wrote:
Alternatively it is a disadvantage of a pre-built system that it includes the OS but no re-install disks? Or is there a modern way around this for the time when your main storage fails or Windows gets corrupted and you need to start again?

I'd assume (not sure if all companies still do this) they supply you with the normal Windows 8 package + disc (so you can re-install as normal if needed). Alternatively, some PCs have recovery OSs stored on their hard drives (I had a laptop that had this, I could reinstall Windows at any time by holding F8 on startup). Quote from HP's website (chose HP because it was the first to come up in a quick Google search):

One option for performing a system recovery is to use system recovery discs. Prior to 2006, HP provided operating system CD discs or recovery discs for most computers. After 2006, HP configured computers with a Recovery Manager function that lets you recover the system from files stored on a partition on the hard drive. Recovery Manager also lets you create a set of recovery discs that contain the files that are specific to your computer.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:33 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Instead of wasting the money on an SSD that doesn't really make a difference since you're not going to be storing the files on there since it is too small. Spend that money on getting a better CPU and some decent RAM. Video editing and rendering times depend a lot on your CPU. GPU can help but unless you get a half decent card it doesn't make super big difference imo.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
TheGuy wrote:

With Windows 10 around the corner, Windows 7 will soon become the next Windows XP - introducing all the issues Ronin stated:

Ronin Storm wrote:
In any case, sticking with W7 is rather like sticking with XP: it was good for its day, but development will not stop and inevitably the restrictions will creep in.  Browser support, .NET versions, Office support, etc will all advance and MS shows signs of wanting to actively divest itself of old platforms.  People sticking on XP has been a thorn in its side for ages (and, as a software developer, a thorn in my side too).  It'll happen for W7 before too long, and given the XP experience, probably faster/sooner.

Why not future-proof if it's only an extra £15 (free if you're purchasing a pre-built PC)? I don't understand the UI argument, never had a problem with it. What's not simple about it? The only major difference is that the start menu is now fullscreen.

+ New Topic + Post Reply