1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas.

Might be worth checking out Arf's training sessions, as they're fairly in depth :). Keep an eye on the training forums for his next stage 1 training. 

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
No idea about the specific joystick, but you probably want to check something.

1. Make sure your joystick is connected to your pc before you start ArmA 3. If you connect it while ArmA 3 is running, it will delete all the control settings you once set.
2. Make sure ArmA 3 has not set any weird deadzone settings for you joystick in the controls (Unless something is wrong with your joystick, all the deadzone settings should be at 0 in general).
3. Make sure you use the collective rais/lower analog binds in the control settings with your throttle.

The rest depends also on other hardware. I have TrackIR so can use the keys I dont have to use for looking around for the normal scroll menu. At the end of day the best you can do is to jump into the editor, get in a heli and try out what works best for you.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:28 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (2)
Bit overkill and for arma. I used X52pro for 4 years and the reason why I bought a warthog is that I'm more serious about combat flight sims. X52 gave me all the functions that I needed. The only thin that I have to do as a script was ACRE/ TFAR radio commands an one shift modifier.To utilize all the buttons and switches on warthog, you have to do a lot of scripting with the TARGET program. I'm still working on my own to get the 3 way switches to work without repeating wrong commands. After all it's very flexible in terms of scripting.
Where the warthog shines its the build quality, precision and layout of buttons. there's only one flaw with the slew controller: it is just a small minimouse- stick and that has no accuracy at all.

So if you are a buying one, buy it as a investment for your hobby. Not as a #YOLOSWAG! item. There's a lot of options for warthog and better ways to invest 300£ to Improve your ARMA flight experience. 

This is my setup for my "Pahkasika". I have used it for few months now (since June 2015)
All the hardware can be removed easily. one screw off from throttle unit, lift and push and it's done. For flight stick, just take it off. there's a board under the seat cushion.
Its is made from discarded (unused) floor panels and a rack mount for audio mixer. The chair is Ikea PELLO with is my favourite kind for chair for general use.

Quote:

Here's my checklist for gear that a helo pilot needs in arma, in "priority" order.
1st priority:
Headtracker. Flying is more about looking around, not just looking area size of a thumbnail in front or you.
A chair. so you can stay on "pilot seat" without physical problems. In general, ergonomic furniture is rather important. The worst option is that you have to put  hardware on your desk so you cant keep your arms relaxed.
2nd priority:
4 axis joystick. X, Y throttle and twist.
Rudder pedals. will make hovering a lot easier. (or if you have racing wheel with throttle and brake pedals, use them. Like I do.)
Standard console gamepad. is an option.
3th priority: when you want to advance.
Solution to mount your hardware. Once again, ergonomics will improve your experince. This is very important to address before you buy a HOTAS setup. they are tall! Operating them on desk is like hanging on metal bar with your own weight.
PC that gives you a lot of draw distance. 3km total and object is my minimum. 5km + is ideal.
4th priority
HOTAS setup.

+ New Topic + Post Reply