Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
2 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:26 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)

Play with Six stopped working.. fixed

PWS stopped loading up with crashing on the Logo. I downloaded the newest version from the site and it works again. Just thought id note it here...

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:07 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Hmm I have the opposite experience - leaving beta on has fixed most of the problems we were seeing in 2014 when we changed over to it from ArmaSync / SixUpdater.

Without wishing to repeat MyFirst's thread I genuinely have a good experience with PW6. Yes if you leave it running in the background it will fall over about 30% of the time. But the old advice used to be to close it down anyway, there is actually a tick box to have it do that automatically on game start - stops it trying to sync mods in the background.

Most errors it comes up with are recoverable, by simply ticking the "can't remember quite what it says, but click to attempt to continue" then just hit the "Don't Send" button.

I maintain 409 Arma 3 mods and about 1200 Arma 2 mods (don't ask me why...lol) through it and have a good experience - note that I am a Premium user (what ever that means!) so the interface is pretty streamlined and I get anywhere between 3 and 20mb DL's depends on the file structure of the mod being DL'd - interestingly logged into the 3CB server in Germany, I have seen upwards of 30+MB dl's but that is rare. Most stick around the 3mb mark which is reasonable for updates.

I had a chap last night who was really struggling with it, he clicked the "use Beta Updates" and it immediately sorted itself out and he got straight in. I genuinely believe most issues with PW6 are caused by flaky installs or incorrect user settings. 

One setting that it is worth changing is the "how many versions of a mod does PW6 keep" setting. This keeps backups of the mod versions compressed into a huge archive. I've set this to 0 and it's solved a lot of problems for me. I assume Pw6 is not so good at managing that when it gets very large and unwieldy.

+ New Topic + Post Reply