+ New Topic + Post Reply
15 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Frag of the match (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)

win 10 anniversary Update Problems

Be wary and postpone the update.  A lot of people including myself are finding that they cannot boot into windows no matter what after rebooting from the update.  Up to now there is no solution.  I for instance am trying to repair the MBR but I reckon a full reinstall is looming, though I may wait until it is resolved fully before making another attempt in which case I will not be on the server for a while.  Seems to be quite a disaster!!!!

There are insufficient expletives to describe how I feel about MSoft at the moment.  I knew there was a problem but could not stop the update as it was automatic.

My surface has also downloaded the update but I have managed to postpone the installation until the 16th.  If they don't fix it by then I may take my computers to Msoft and shove them up some executive where the sun don't shine.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:37 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)
My pc updated before shutting down the other night. I guess it won't get turned on to complete the update until there's a fix. Screw reinstalling that would be a massive face balls.

Slightly odd, talks to pixels.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:34 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Guys

I managed to fix it after some time and downloading a copy of Win 10 Media Creation Tool (took me 3 times - don't use a Msoft Surface - quicker on a full computer) on a USB drive,  I then rebooted from the USB stick abd wnt to the initial set up Windows screens to get to Repair (be careful its small and on the left hand side of one of the initial set up blue screens and can be missed - otherwise you can continue into a full reinstall).  Once there I went to Advanced Recovery - tried Repair Startup - no go - Then went to Command Prompt and after some very tense minutes used "bootrec" to rebuild the BCD file.  It went through OK and now I am back up running with the Update installed,  All seems OK for now until the next update.

For those of you with Win 10 go to Windows Update and Update History or Check for Updates to see if Win 10 Build 1607 has been downloaded automatically as per Dangerous Diz.  If you have DO NOT power off or reboot the computer.  Whilst you may be OK as some have no problem, you could be unlucky like me.  I would suggest you don't reboot but put the computer to sleep if you need to power down and use the option in Windows Update to restart at a later time.  In the meantime backup all your important data and Create a System Recovery USB Drive before doing anything else.  Use the search box to find the tool.  Make sure you have a USB stick with at least 8GB and also make sure the box "Backup system files to the recovery disk" is ticked.  Once the tool is created and your data safe then reboot - you really have no option ultimateley.  Clench your fists and hold your breath - hopefully all will be OK.

Windows puts out updates on Tuesdays and there is hope that a revised update will be released next week.  This is only a rumour but it may be worth waiting as it will give you time to get prepared in any event - just don't power off or allow it to reboot before then.

Hope this helps

Ney88

ps Scofer I did not have Avast or other Anti Virus only Windows Defender.  You are right amongst the many problems the Update causes are conflicts where it gives Win 10 a hissy fit with some anti virus programs - Avast being one and I thing McAfee as well.  It may be worthwhile temporarily uninstalling them and then waiting for more info.  I have noticed a couple of programmes not working after the update which is major but they are not important programs. 

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:52 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
I guess I was lucky - installed the update on release day with no issue (I also have Avast running). Although I'll admit that while it was updating I found an article on my phone warning everyone not to update, which got me a bit worried haha.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:18 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Donator (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (1)
Seems my update on the pc went through OK. Haven't tried the laptop yet..

Slightly odd, talks to pixels.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:02 am     Super secret spam barrier

Not had any issues. I avoided the gash flash update though.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:40 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Recruiter (1) Recruitment Team (1)
Zeus Operations (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Oh good. I have avast, mcafee, a surface pro 3, and both have already been updated and rebooted :/

Guess ill find out how they go....

Tweety Bird

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Good luck. My surface pro (original) went through OK.  Seems a might slower in response but not really noticeable.  Seems I am the unlucky one -again :)

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:42 am     Super secret spam barrier

I haven't had any issues either, are you running 32 or 64 bit? Maybe that makes a difference. I've also not had a gpu driver crash since the update, so touch wood maybe they've fixed that.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:59 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:
Recruit Trainer

Ribbons:
Glad noone has any major problems with the update - though gutted myself.  My system is a 64bit one.  I did have a bit of an issue with the video driver and had to reinstall it when I got the system back up - may be there is something there - I have 2 980 ti's in SLI. 

+ New Topic + Post Reply