3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
4 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:44 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)

Help for a fellow arma3 clan

We have a root server at Hetzner. A root server is can in some cases be less expensive as a hosted server, but you also have to eventually spend more time with the installations and maintenance of certain structures.

The best advice I can give you is that you should try to scale your current server down to a working minimum. However you also need to consider some space upwards in case you (hopefully) get more members. When it comes to the financial side I guess you need to talk to your current members and see how much money they are willing and actually can spend on your own server.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
70 pounds per month sounds pretty expensive. You should be able to get something like a 30 slot server and 30-40 slot teamspeak for 40-50€.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:04 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Well I dontg know the international community too well, but I know in the german ArmA 3 communities there are a few projects where smaller clans share a server together and also support each other on missions.

It depends on what your plans are. If somebody has a really good connection, he might be able to host a server locally when you need it.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:42 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
I recently experimented with linux VPS and server hosting and was really surprised at how well it handled game servers.

If you want a cheap server to use and play with friends then this could be a really inexpensive way to do it.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-ssd.xml

I don't know what the size of an Arma 3 linux server is but for the top ssd @ £11.99 would give you a lot of space and performance for a small game server.

I was using the smallest vps and ran a L4D2 server with 8 players and it used only 15% cpu max.

If you can find out how much the server install actually is then you might get away with option two at £5.99 which is cheap as chips and easy maintenance.

https://gameservermanagers.com/#supportedgames I used this to install my server.

Whatever you do just don't use expensive hosts for dedicated server. Even OVH do a dedicated one for for £49.99 and offer good ddos protection and plenty of space.

+ New Topic + Post Reply