3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

Refining Virtual Armoury

32 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:58 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
@MeFirst: Derp, the commands have a global/non-global toggle. Never really noticed that before, thanks!

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
KillerSAS wrote:
On public I think it should be kept as is. I like seeing a section role play a PMC with (not over the top SF kits) but reasonable kit. I myself have a few SF kits that look nice and are not over the top, Acog M16/M4 and that's it.

BPT I think should have a more relaxed kit load out as they are more Force Recon (SF in a way) tactical Ak's, M16/M4's, G36's. Same goes for their the uniform. On private ops I think yes restrict kit all bar BPT (FR/SF). You could say BPT are the SAS/SBS of the unit ,where they are encouraged to blend in a bit more, role play the section.

If I want to have a professional looking PMC section of the public server I think I should be aloud that. Its not all about the looks that make it realistic, Its the people that your playing with and the role playing you are wanting to do that make it enjoyable and realistic. 

Well Public should be a bit different. But for me everything that is OPFOR related, should restricted.

About everything else you said I would have to disagree, but thats just my personal opinion.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Ze mod is nearly ready to be served... It's working fine in vanilla, now I'm just going to have to check it with the unified public modset  :)
And then the fun task of deciding upon the whitelist (that's up to the mission maker (all defined in the mission), i.e. Apollo for the public)

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:33 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Killer, the problem is that the server has an unrealistic level of armoured contacts hence the need for Lots of AT.

(we're covering old ground here) but reality is 30 guys do not step out to go and take over a small country on their own... Just doesn't happen so we need to suspend a LITTLE the reality when it comes to public ops.

I understand the need to pack more AT>

ESPECIALLY when it's all config'd up the kafooe and needs like 4 shots on target to disable a T-72.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:55 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Killer I think we're talking at cross purposes - I have no problem with people wearing SF kit on the public - I would prefer they don't but I don't mind

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
KillerSAS wrote:
Just putting about points to take about that I hope can benefit in someway. If there is heavy amounts of unrealistic amounts of armor on the field, thus unrealistic AT on the field, Then I think we can have a bit of unrealistic( though not unrealistic kit if you get what I am saying.) available to play with. If your wanting more realistic kit you can't have it one way and not the other as well, you contradict yourself.

If your recording I would rather see a full PMC section with good and matching kit with an assortment of different weapons role playing well than 8 guys in match uniform and matching weapons but with 6 AT weapons. Immersion broken. There needs to be a balance.

This is not a talk about realism then is it. Cause you cant have it one way and say thats more realistic cause its not (Public Server). Hence why it should just stay the same.

Killer - Problem isn't people customizing their kit within reason. It's the all-in-one über commando kits which are bothersome. E.g. Guillie, Sniper rifle/heavy MG with thermal, stowed M4/AK, AT, explosives, stockpile of med gear. 

Additionally, as already mentioned - anything used by the maps Opfor (whether weapons or kit)  should really be removed from the VA. Unnecessarily adds confusion to the game. 

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:55 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Well it is always a fine balance to get this right. Also there is hardly any right or wrong here. A more open and a more restricted arsenal has advantages and disadvantages.

From my point of view and experience are more restriced arsenal has the advantages that most roles get more important, which leads to people getting more concentrated on their actual task in a section or a troop. When some equipment is not avaible for everyone, obviously the people who have access to it are more important. I am personally not a fan to picking a role like Automatic Rifleman, just to discover that 30% of my section already have machine guns equipped.

On the other hand this can create some balancing issues on some maps. When you have no AT Soldier avaible you can get in some problems. However we often have a lot of peopke on the server these days and you can and should allow certain launchers to everyone. Stuff like AT-4 and other launchers like that. However I would restrict the "heavy artillery" like the Javelin to the actual AT-Soldier.

Sure thing that the public server is also here for recruiment, but it is also the probably the place where people spend most of their ingame time. I would say people learn the most on the public server in a less stressful enviroment. You could also argue that we might dont want people who are not able or willing to stick to their roles and life with restricted equipment (like in our operations). When it comes to using AK's this is not very clever and some people will get really upset when you do. Reason is that that will confuse everyone who doesnt know that somebody picked a OPFOR Weapon. Some people might alreadly count this as counterproductive gameplay, because people like that technically make no real effort to fit in on the server.

PS: Alexander. If you want I can help in the process for the whitelisting. I did this in the past for another public server, so I have some experience when it comes to this.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:06 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Opfor weapons have been a headache/bane to the public for some time Killer. Trying to differentiate a friendly firing a (lets say) AK to an enemy contact is somewhat frustrating and annoying - particularly for those coming to grips with the game. (Granted, if you're out of ammo, then by all means pick up an enemy rifle and notify your section lead). 

Practicality aside, this has been a problem and a point of discussion long before you were with 3CB Killer. Please respect the fact that although you might appreciate the SF role and style of game play - a random player may not be as thorough as yourself, and take that as queue to poorly follow suite. Additionally, it's been an ongoing issue for some years and we generally frown on it - public or private.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:07 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Well of course you have to balance those things to the reality you have in the game. But let me take another approach on this. You wouldnt attack a armoed platoon with one section in real life. Should you do it in the game? As you said, you dont need 8 guys with javelins. I think it would be fait to have some people with AT-4 launchers. Nobody is forcing people to take on heavy armor and as you mentioned you can rely on logistics. Get some extra AT/Ammo in a vehicle of give the pilots something to do. Doesnt matter if it is CAS or just providing logistics for the infantry. I think most pilots would be glad about that.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Media Man (1) Donator (1)
Mission Designer (3) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Operation Medal (4)
Just leave it the way it is, Arma 3 is meant to be fun, that's why we play it. Public is the place for having a laugh and a bit of a carry on, and that includes peoples choice of equipment.

Part of the attraction of 3CB from playing with you guys the last month has been, it's very, very rare for someone to take things too seriously. You would lose some of your appeal by becoming too stringent in regards to equipment.

Crack on and have fun is what I say.

My 2p for tonight.

My YouTube Channel
All my content is available with the CC BY 4.0 license.

+ New Topic + Post Reply