Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)

The scope that's needed to fill the gap

[table][tr][td]Image[/td][td]Image[/td][/tr][/table]HAMR 4x scope and reticle

The Leupold HAMR scope in Arma has a magnification of 4x (standard power for riflemen). This is great for everyone carrying a 5.56-6.5mm where the effective range is around 300-400m. However, for our sharpshooters where the max effective range is around 600m, something more powerful is needed. If you've ever tried the Mk14 EBR or the HK417 I'm sure you'll agree.

The British carry an L129A1 (similar to HK417) 7.62mm sharpshooter rifle that comes with a Trijicon ACOG 6x scope. This is the perfect magnification for sharpshooters, especially in Arma - not too powerful as to be able to pick off targets from miles away, but still enough to make those longer-than-average range engagements.

Currently, TMR's HAMR uses a reticle usually found in 6x scopes (see above for standard HAMR 4x reticle).

Here's what I think should be done - TMR's current HAMR reticle should be replaced with the standard (simpler) one for riflemen. Another scope is then introduced (perhaps a modified ARCO?) that uses a 6x optic and with Leupold's 7.62 reticle - perfect for sharpshooters. There we have it - the scope that's needed to fill the gap.

Thoughts?

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:00 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
BatzBenzer wrote:
Are you going to pass that info over to Tao/Ryan or should we mod TMR that way?

Did anyone tried out that new DMS scope? How is that one doing?

Unfortunately Tao has ceased development on TMR due to RL work commitments. However, he's made the mod open-source so we're free to modify the files as long as we give credit. I had a play around last night with the configs and managed to get something that was roughly 6x (may need your help calculating the correct FOV Batz :)).

I've tried the DMS. Its a great scope since it's the only scope that's more than 4x and has a CQB sight. The only issue is that it's 12x which I think is it a bit too much.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:09 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
oooo excited to see this one develop...

SJ

+ New Topic + Post Reply