+ New Topic + Post Reply
8 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:17 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)

Overpowered AI

So I really like Arma 3 and I love playing with you guys but it is starting to get stupid.  I just joined the public died whilst trying to heal Apollo which I am fine with because we were in the open and was shot 5/6 times but the second time we were in the AO I was killed with 1 round it is getting stupid.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
I think it is because we are back to using vanilla AI and their amazing spot, fire, and then turn around to face you, abilities. We had this problem with their accuracy in the past until bcombat was used.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:45 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
bCombat is running... It's just the Med system implimented now allows more damage through I think.

Xmed was configured to offer more damage resistance until you were incapacitated - and getting insta-killed was rare assuming you were bug free.

Units at the AO tonight were also being given Waypoints by Gaia which forces them to maneuver much more aggressively - so I've noticed the weight of fire can be greater. Combine that with the new med sys "1 shot 1 kill" setup and it's a lot harder to play.

Worth noting that the Ai was broken somewhat in 1.2 so bCombat may not be working properly - quote from the author

NOTE:
while fiddling with bCombat code i discovered that ArmA3 engine no longer pipes danger events into danger.fsm if threat is farther than about 100 meters. It used to be way more.
It's surprising, as this ends up making AI unnecessary dumber than before.
I wonder whether that's a bug or "by design".

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Yeah it can get quite annoying when you get insta-killed due to AGM's 1 shot 1 kill (if you get shot in the head). Hopefully once AGM matures we'll be able to disable this via mission-side modules.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
I like the one shot as well. When I was killed in the OP it came out of nowhere. I never got hurt the whole game but a round struck me as I was ordered to fall back from an engagement. Felt pretty realistic with all the rounds flying past. I didn't expect it at all since we were further back from the rest of the group. Next time I will make sure I'm in hardcover at all times.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:15 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
Whilst I wrote this post in anger last night, I now agree that the ability to be 1 shot killed is realistic but it is just a fact that I poked my head up and got hit in 2 secs which is what annoyed me.  So I guess what I am saying is that the AI is way to accurate.

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:12 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
According to the creator of AGM, his future plans for the medical system include different options, including the choice to disable instant kills in favour of limited unconscious / revival time before bleeding out.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Granted the one shot kill has caused some infuriating moments for myself. Particularly when you've just driven 15km to an AO only to get shot in the face the instant you dismount. However, as annoying as it is, not necessarily a bad thing. When I treat the AI like a PvP game, I generally last a lot longer - E.g. everyone covering their respective angles at all times, and less balls deep insertions (which unfortunately are quite a lot less fun). When I do go down, it's usually to my own carelessness these days. Think if we play a little less aggressively (at least until the eagle eyed, head-shooting, hyper reflex AI is toned down somewhat) we'll last a bit longer. 
Ultimately a good opportunity to get back to basics and play a little more tactically against a somewhat overpowered AI EI. 

Note: We do have the ability to set an FOB spawn point these days. It may be good practice to prioritise this before clearing the AO. Less of a head f**k on the insta kills, and gives the pilots the ability to primarily focus on CAS. 

+ New Topic + Post Reply