Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
13 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:35 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)

Are these ideas possible?

Main base is possible.
Crowds.of civis are still a big pain in the engine.
Tasks like that can work but it would be a lot, lot, lot,lot,lot of work to do this properly. I mean like a lot of work.
Enemies are pretty mich the same.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
RaptorInMotion wrote:
  • Tasks = instead of being on a "heres a task randomly, do it before i take it away, oh too late its been cancelled", you go to an AI man in base and "take a mission". By this i mean, we decided when we want it and it will end when we cancel it or complete it. These will be as varied as we want, ie, we think of as many as possible to add to a list of procedural missions.

It's funny you mention this as I had a similar idea for the public server whereby players walk up to a board or HQ of sorts and request a contract/mission. Each mission would be dynamically generated using a set of random variables:

- Size of AO
- Location of AO
- Enemy force (armour, air, static weaponry, infantry size)
- Objective (destroy the ammo cache, rescue the HVT, secure the area, retrieve the vehicle, etc).

Creating something like this is definatley possible with scripting. If you want, we can both work on this?

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:09 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
I think domination uses a similar script with its side mission generator. Basically it has a file with about 30 cases, each one specifies the mission details. Then when the script runs it generates a number from 0 - 30 that picks a mission from the script. That way you get a random mission every time that is unique and random. I like the idea and would support it for the public. I don't mind assisting in this as well.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
Sounds like an awesome idea, just need to have a multitude of differing operations, something like; capture and hold, intel gathering, weapons cache destroying, eliminate targets. Rescuing civies might be a bit trickier due to scripts.

But if you could get half of those it would be amazing.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Doesn't MCC's auto-generate do most of these?

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:23 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
The next update of MCC (forthcoming I believe), includes additional options for the automatic mission generator. Reading Shay's response to some questions regarding the marker placements, it sounds as if the mission maker is going to be able to place the objective locations if they don't want it done randomly. If that is correct, it might be useful for this project.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Apollo wrote:
Doesn't MCC's auto-generate do most of these?

Evrik wrote:
The next update of MCC (forthcoming I believe), includes additional options for the automatic mission generator. Reading Shay's response to some questions regarding the marker placements, it sounds as if the mission maker is going to be able to place the objective locations if they don't want it done randomly. If that is correct, it might be useful for this project.

In that case, that's excellent. I look forward to the update, implementing something like this on our public server would be awesome.

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Dan_Fielding wrote:
That would be a great feature, for too long have I been stuck with 'VAS has not finished loading'

I never use VAS as I have LEA.
However, with the trials on CSE recently I was forced to look in the VAS boxes and I found, to my surprise, that VAS loaded IMMEDIATELY.
Absolutely no wait at all.

I don't have any profiles saved. Could that be it?
Anyway, perhaps the Capraia mission is the only one running the latest version of VAS and it's been improved?

VAS v2.6 on my mission.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:52 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19134

VASP:
The Virtual Ammobox System Preloader (VASP) is a simple mission / utility for those that are having long load times while using addons such as ACRE.

All you need to do is drag the VAS_Preloader.Stratis.pbo to either your missions directory or MPMissions directory and whenever you are fixing to get into a large Co-Op mission or whatever with ACRE/Other large addons just play the VAS_Preloader mission first and let it preload information for VAS, once it's completed you will have a hint and you're ready to go. Long load times should no longer be a problem.

It is a simplistic concept and it's the best work-around that I can provide.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Or, you know, just use LEA ;)

EDIT: To make this post less pointless: How about a "semi-official" set of profiles so that people don't have to start from scratch?

+ New Topic + Post Reply