Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)

CSE blood loss (spoiler)

This is a follow on from Raptor's excellent post on CSE medical.  

What I'm after is a little more knowledge of how to get the most effective use out of the medical kit, especially given the current fatigue system.

I've had a look at the code and also inspected the live variables, so this is fairly accurate for the current CSE build.

Blood loss:

A healthy soldier has 100 units of blood.

When injured you lose blood at a rate which is dependent on the number and size of open wounds.  Typically this is 0.5, 1 and 2 units of blood for each small medium and large wound.  These values are modified by the difficulty of the server.

CSE seems to perform a medical check when you get injured and then every 10 seconds thereafter.

For example, with one large open wound you'd lose 10% of your blood in approximately 50 seconds.

Blood can only be replaced (in the field) with saline. This is the part we're getting wrong. A saline drip is very slow.  When attached it replaces 0.2 units of blood every 10 seconds.  Adding additional saline drips has no effect until the original saline bag is empty.  This is where CSE gets its units a little confused.  A 250 ml saline bag holds enough liquid to replace x 2.5 humans with blood. When a drip is attached it takes over 3hours to empty.  So only ever attach one bag. 

The system also remembers that you have a drip attached and so the next time you lose blood it starts using from the same bag again.  So if a patient has a saline bag attached, then don't waste an additional bag.

In the example above, with a single large wound left unattended for 50 seconds, it will take over 8 minutes for a saline drip to replace the lost fluid. 

Its therefore important to stop blood loss ASAP.

I suggest we make maximum use of tourniquets, to stem the blood prior to bandaging, especially for multiple wounds on the same body part.

Wounds reopening:

All medium / large wounds will reopen, after a somewhat random period of time.  This time period can be affected by the type of bandages used.

Basic bandages  = 15 minutes + 0-2 minutes
Packing bandage = 20 minutes + 0-2 minutes
Elastic bandage = 15 minutes + 0-15 minutes.

Packing bandages will also bleed slightly less than the other two, when they do reopen.

I'll look into the drugs and unconsciousness next … will report later.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
I hope its just a temporary suspension.  Seems a far more stable medical system than all the others we have tried.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:32 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
lifetap wrote:
I hope its just a temporary suspension.  Seems a far more stable medical system than all the others we have tried.

It is a better medical system (and I love it) - but until we know for sure that it doesn't cause any instabilities, we won't be using it. Just before we removed it, me and Potominkus found that with CSE the AI basically become invincible while moving (bullets are just absorbed). Take CSE off and you can easily 1-shot kill enemies with no armour. It's because the medical system is being applied to AI, meaning they just get injured (i.e. bleeding arm or leg) and don't actually die/get knocked down. Until they implement a way to turn the medical system off for AI, we won't be using it.

+ New Topic + Post Reply