3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
5 posts in this topic
Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:05 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)

[Public Server AAR] Operation "Blue Whirlwind"

This happened yesterday evening on the public server and blew my mind. We had ~30 people on at peak time and had an OP that ran for several hours. Sorry if you were doing something cool and I forgot your name ;)
Hotel [Shogun]  ~ 2-4 people?
Alpha [Alexander] ~ 6-8
Bravo [Arka] ~ 6-8
Charlie [Goodson?] ~ 6?
SNP [?]  ~ 2 
MMG [?] ~ 2
Foxtrott [?] ~ 1-2

Before we rolled out, Shogun (H-1) organized us into two roughly equal sections (Alpha and Bravo) and FSG.
Hotel mounted up in a Hunter, Bravo in a Marshal and Alpha in a HEMTT (no armory/no respawn function).
We then moved out as a convoy (in that order of march) following the yellow route I highlighted. 
We took contact two or three times, each time the convoy halted/dismounted/engaged/re-mounted beautifully.

Once we hit the end of the yellow route we secure the area and Bravo split off towards the south-west while the FSG sections moved into the hills between us.
With Hotel behind us, Alpha continued to push up the eastern road. The enemy (bolstered by AGM's damagecoefficient=0.5) fought hard for every compound along the way.
It took a good long time to push to Anar, but luckily Anar's east was already cleared so we were able to push through town fairly quickly.

A far greater and unexpected challenge was the un-named town north of Anar (marked with the ->|<- symbol on map).
While Bravo was engaging Kakaru and pushing north (probably dealing with some problems of their own), Alpha was brought to a violent halt just north of Anar.
Without any armoury/respawn in the AO, supply was starting to be an issue. We were critically low on ammo and our medical supplies were starting to disappear quickly due to the heavy contact north of us.
Hotel and Foxtrott worked miracles and moved mountains of equipment in via helicopters (and I think H-1 himself actually drove a replacement marshal back from base at some point).

After we determined that CAS/Mortar/etc wouldn't be available, I (Alpha) asked Hotel for reinforcements, which Hotel dispatched from the western part of the AO in the form of Charlie Squad (I think all JIPs?). 
I have no idea how long it took charlie to commandeer a pick-up and drive over to us, but in that time my overwatch element (blue team) got pinned down so badly that it took a very adrenaline-packed rescue 
to get them off their exposed hill and back into safety. Just as blue team (+my medic and myself) made it back down to the safety of the valley, Charlie and Hotel arrived to support us.
By that point, we had eliminated most of the enemy that was moving around outside the town, so with Charlie being 'fresh' to the fight, they started moving towards the town, where two of my (red-team) guys had gotten pinned down.
In the mean-time, Hotel went and used their hunters to bring us our much needed re-supply. Once we had sorted everybody out, we double-timed it to Charlie, just in time to see them rescue the two guys from red.
With Alpha back up to full combat effectiveness we started securing the western side of town while Charlie cleared the east, with Hotel moving in behind us. The town was still surprisingly heavily occupied but (carefully) we eventually cleared it.
Hotel then made their hunters available to Alpha/Charlie so that we could move up north quickly (Bravo was already sitting on the east of Feruz Abad, iirc).

Thanks due to a slight break-down in comms, Charlie moved further North-east, attacking the town of Falar. When they got into some heavy fighting, Alpha (mounted in un-armed hunters) drove up and supported them from the hills.
Once communication with Hotel was re-established, Alpha was pulled off Falar and quickly moved (thanks to our Hunters) towards the east end of Feruz Abad.
Alpha started clearing the eastern side of Feruz Abad while Bravo (and Hotel?) pushed in from the west. After a few Blu-on-Blu incidents and many, many sneaky /well-hidden OPFOR contacts we cleared Feruz Abad and re-grouped on the northern side.
The ammo cache someone had found was destroyed and then we started moving out North, towards the mine.
Supplies were once again down to ridiculously low levels, so much of the fight up towards the mine consisted of yelling for medics, morphine and magazines. 

Once we had secured the mine (and taken down an enemy chopper that decided to visit), a HEMTT was brought up and we got ferried back down to Feruz Abad were a Chinook was waiting to take us back to base.
All in all, it was an amazing experience that was amazingly planned and lead by Shogun and that could have held up to any private op I've seen.
Thanks to Shogun (H-1) , Midnight (Alpha-2/blue FTL), Matt (Alpha Medic), Charlie (for coming to our rescue), all of Alpha, the pilots and just generally everybody who played and contributed to this amazing thing.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:20 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Very nice AAR, it really was a great evening.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Thanks for the AAR, I particularly like the image you did as well :)

Was a great night, good to see so many people on the public server. Can't believe how busy it was.

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
I agree with Depro.  Good op, lots of action and great job leading Arka

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
NullJeager wrote:
Sniper team - Me and Whip. We took out two mortars that would of hammered you when you were stationary for a long time, one North of Falar, 1.6km, left - right 2ms crosswind (Whip with a good spotter = good shot) and one that was south of Feruz Abad, took him out close range with my silenced C7.

We also engaged priority targets, RPG troopers, PKM gunners and static MG/AT emplacements.  Whip also got a kill on a Technical .50 gunner, at 1.3km, north-south wind, aiding his bullet causing problems with the drop.  But good shooting from Whip.

The comms where a bit of a mess at times due to Hotel 1 being so far away at times, plus the hills being a pain in the arse for our 152's that we took so we could have backpacks with ammo in them.

Seemed like a good op overall, though we did come in about half-way through.  

The follow up was comical though, that Orca that spawned then de-spawned... The hell?
Thanks for saving our asses! We knew that somebody friendly was up in the hills but we had no idea how much awesome stuff you guys did! 

The end was a bit hilarious...there was a lot of tension that was released and since lots of people were planning to head off things got rather hilarious.
But everybody that didn't mount up in the HEMTT/Chinook missed out on a pretty satisfying and awesome end to the OP when dave passed out in the chinook!
I have no idea if our AGM config allows for "bleeding out" be we certainly felt like we needed to get back to base a lot quicker than usual for an RTB flight :)

+ New Topic + Post Reply