3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic Locked

Public Server 1st / 3rd person toggle view ?

18 posts in this topic
Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Apollo wrote:
Howl wrote:
Using thermal imaging is smart - sure it can be abused if you're going to sit on the hill and pick them off from that distance, but there's no harm at all in scouting out a town with thermals before moving in to clear it yourself so you give yourself a tactical advantage. . . there's a reason the military uses this stuff! It's to make the job easier :)

I don't want it 'easier'. This isn't real life where I would want to destroy the enemy without leaving a hardened bunker. This is a game where I WANT to be in danger, to have tense moments where I almost die because I got sneaked up on or didn't see the infantry patrol hiding in the grass until I walk over them. Thermal sights remove almost every element of surprise and danger making the game boring. We can spot the enemy and engage them beyond their effective range. It's an absolute curse of game play on the public server in my experience.

I agree - tbh I would ban the Thermal sights if I could.. and btw ZEUS doesn't take kindly to Thermal equipped snippers shooting his carefully placed units - designed to bring more realism and that human touch of fun to the player-base.

Red smoke warning... Mortars incoming.

Persistent snipers might also find themselves on the receiving end of an OpFOr 6-24x52mm Scope... hint hint all you Mountain goats you... ;)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Serjames wrote:
I agree - tbh I would ban the Thermal sights if I could..
If only there was a mod that made whitelisting the arsenal a viable option.. *cough* @XLA_FixedArsenal *cough*

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:42 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Get it bug free and past the Apollo Filter and I'm your biggest supporter mate :-)

SJ

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
I'd be ok with Thermals i.e. Binocs with Section leads, (NOT on gun optics they're too Gamey IMO) IF the Ai were better at responding to attack. As it is we can spot Very obvious hot spots, plan an attack and they pretty much have no element of surprise left..

I'm really keen to get bCombat or ASR_AI back on where they will be MUCH more dynamic with their reactions.

We can run TPW_CAS with either of those mods, and then get proper suppression back into the game. That in itself would be game changing for me as at the moment if a squad of 8 Humans meets a squad of 8 Ai the Ai are likely to win in open ground because of their superior accuracy and "no-fear" no suppression behaviour etc.

SJ 

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:02 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (2)
"The Pilot steps outside of his cockpit"

Generaly I my opinion is: 3rd person view causes damage to your skils & gameplay and it creates bad habits. Specialy in this kind of community where realism is one of the main aspects.
I tend to crash more while flying in 3rd person for few reasons: I have reduced sence of momentum and airframe model creates a blindspot and the perscpective is 5m to 10m away from 1st person view + using 3rd person view you don't see your Instruments . Ergo when I'm doing my pilot coaching I srongly urge my students to use 1st person view only.

After all, whe should resolve this topic with democracy so we can ensure that all players in pub is playing with same mindset. So shall we have a poll?

Next subject. Thermal imagin:
Personaly I try to avoid using them with my personal weapon. It's actualy worst kind of combat/ marksman optic avable.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:24 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
I think this topic has been talked about enough.

We don't need to poll about having third or first person on the public server. We should allow it since it keeps everyone happy. Yes, it does give people advantages but I've never seen it ruin any public sessions to the point where people are crying over it. It really doesn't hurt to allow people to use it. It is a public server with relaxed rules.

We agreed a long time ago that third person would be allowed on the public server.

This does not need to be discussed any further.

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
I use first person pretty much exclusively, but third can come in pretty handy for driving some armored vehicles and such. It's not a bad idea to have it available on the public, not everyone who joins is going to be used to first person only. Hopefully they'll eventually join, play some Ops and learn the error of their ways, then spread their knowledge on to the newer pubbies. Circle of Life and all that!

As for the thermals arguement, I can see why people use them, especially if they don't have the best eyesight and/or a decent monitor. I have noticed that the few times a teammate has used them though, that most contacts tend to be spotted and killed by thermal users before us regular eyesight folks have much of a chance to engage. I don't think I see people using them on the public all that often though.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:38 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Madshepherd wrote:
MyCatSaid wrote:
I think this topic has been talked about enough.

We don't need to poll about having third or first person on the public server. We should allow it since it keeps everyone happy. Yes, it does give people advantages but I've never seen it ruin any public sessions to the point where people are crying over it. It really doesn't hurt to allow people to use it. It is a public server with relaxed rules.

We agreed a long time ago that third person would be allowed on the public server.

This does not need to be discussed any further.

Cats,  is this the official  response     ie it will remain  " toggle view " on public.

thanks

Since ArmA 2, it was decided that toggle view would be allowed on the public server.

+ New Topic Locked